advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Re: GM adds a third shift to build...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 25, 2012 03:37PM
Porsche doesn't sell a lot of cars either.

Avenger
mattkime
[green.autoblog.com]

March 2012 still stands as the high-water mark for Chevrolet Volt sales. That month, GM sold 2,289 Volts, a number that dropped to 1,462 in April. The news today is that sales climbed back up to 1,680 in May. GM's Twitter account says that demand for the 703 Volt in California is temporarily outstripping supply. We wonder if there are dealers in other states who would be more than willing to send their unsold units westward.

When it comes to the Nissan Leaf, the May number – 510 sold – is better than the 370 Nissan sold in April. Of course, it's fewer than the 579 units sold in March and is also less than half of what Nissan sold in May 2011: 1,142. For the record, there were 26 selling days in May 2012 and 24 in May 2011. For another record, while the vehicles aren't really comparable, the Smart Fortwo outsold the Leaf at 703 units in May. Just so you know.

You do realize you are just proving my point with these numbers. 703 sales is now considered "record" sales? They sold more Yugos. If you can't sell the Volt in California, you can't sell the Volt.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Avenger
Date: June 25, 2012 03:40PM
It is more than 703, I assure you. Do you realize 703 is less than two a day?
Posted by: davester
Date: June 25, 2012 04:00PM
billb
Buy a Volt

Clean out your garage for free.

Judging from the flame and smoke, that garage fire looks suspiciously like a gasoline fire (or a photoshop job).

Quick, what's more likely to create a massive fire...a car containing a complicated electrical system that is full of highly flammable gasoline, or a car containing a complicated electrical system that contains no flammable material?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Pam
Date: June 25, 2012 04:03PM
Here's some real info for ya [www.torquenews.com]

BTW, do you know how much the government subsidies Boeing?
Posted by: billb
Date: June 25, 2012 04:06PM
Probably the Volt with the 9 gallon gas tank
and the gas tanks for the lawn mower, weed whacker, outboard motor, gas grill, etc.....

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: June 25, 2012 04:49PM
Pam
Here's some real info for ya [www.torquenews.com]

BTW, do you know how much the government subsidies Boeing?

Ah, that trick again. Just because government buys from Boeing it "subsidizes" them. I submit to you that Boeing through their massive tax payments subsidizes the government far more than other way around. What is next? Telling me that the government invented the internet?
Date: June 25, 2012 04:53PM
>>Telling me that the government invented the internet?

[en.wikipedia.org]

The Advanced Research Projects Agency Network (ARPANET) was the world's first operational packet switching network and the core network of a set that came to compose the global Internet. The network was funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) of the United States Department of Defense for use by its projects at universities and research laboratories in the US. The packet switching of the ARPANET was based on designs by Lawrence Roberts of the Lincoln Laboratory.[1]

For more details on this topic, see History of the Internet.

Date: June 25, 2012 04:56PM
Man, people jump at any bait you throw at them here.
Date: June 25, 2012 05:01PM
Avenger

please, dakota, correct me.

Posted by: hal
Date: June 25, 2012 05:19PM
Avenger
ah, that trick again. Just because government buys from Boeing it "subsidizes" them. I submit to you that Boeing through their massive tax payments subsidizes the government far more than other way around. What is next? Telling me that the government invented the internet?

WTO upholds ruling on Boeing subsidies
[www.reuters.com]

Report claims Boeing paid no taxes over past three years
[www.seattlepi.com]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 25, 2012 05:53PM
South Carolina's incentives for Boeing:
[thenerve.org]

Washington State's incentives for Boeing:
[realwashingtonstatebudget.info]

Date: June 25, 2012 05:54PM
Avenger

At least you have finally admitted that you are a troll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 05:56PM by $tevie.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 25, 2012 06:08PM
Avenger
They sold more Yugos.

From 1986-1988 the Yugo was no sales slouch averaging more than 3,000 cars a month during that time period.

But why should anyone care what someone else buys to drive? It is not my business nor my concern how people choose to spend their money.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Black
Date: June 25, 2012 08:04PM
Ombligo

From 1986-1988 the Yugo was no sales slouch averaging more than 3,000 cars a month during that time period.

But why should anyone care what someone else buys to drive? It is not my business nor my concern how people choose to spend their money.

So if all your neighbors decide it would be cool to drive Sherman Tanks, you'd be OK with that?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 25, 2012 08:27PM
Avenger
Ah, that trick again. Just because government buys from Boeing it "subsidizes" them. I submit to you that Boeing through their massive tax payments subsidizes the government far more than other way around. What is next? Telling me that the government invented the internet?

I'm tempted to refuse to believe that you're this ignorant on both points you're trying to make (Boeing and the Internet). Come on, fess up, you're trolling aren't u?
Date: June 25, 2012 10:12PM
"The United States acknowledged that Boeing had been found to receive between $3 billion and $4 billion in subsidies in the form of federal research grants and local tax breaks,"

So I was right. Boeing does contract work for the government and you call that a subsidy? Instead of defending an American corporation against the verified government-owned Airbus, you are dumping on them too? Get this straight. Getting a grant and delivering a product is NOT subsidy. It is work.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 25, 2012 10:15PM
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 25, 2012 10:46PM
RgrF

Only gets 36mpg.
Date: June 26, 2012 04:38AM
Avenger
"The United States acknowledged that Boeing had been found to receive between $3 billion and $4 billion in subsidies in the form of federal research grants and local tax breaks,"

So I was right. Boeing does contract work for the government and you call that a subsidy? Instead of defending an American corporation against the verified government-owned Airbus, you are dumping on them too? Get this straight. Getting a grant and delivering a product is NOT subsidy. It is work.

No. Boeing did not do contract work for NASA or DoD in the way you infer. They were collaborative efforts however data is not shared with industry. Only Boeing benefits. It's not like they were hired to do work for the government.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 26, 2012 08:26AM
Even when presented with facts, he denis them, then alters his definitions, and finally substitutes his own reality for the rest of ours. He'd clueless to how the aerospace industry works (and apparantly the Internet too).
Date: June 26, 2012 08:35AM
you can tell he knows this because he actually shut up a bit.

Carnos Jax
Even when presented with facts, he denis them, then alters his definitions, and finally substitutes his own reality for the rest of ours. He'd clueless to how the aerospace industry works (and apparantly the Internet too).

Date: June 26, 2012 09:38AM
Dakota's brain is filled with right wing talking points. As this article points out, the Volt is a punching bag for talk radio @#$%&.

The plug-in Volt, which debuted in late 2010, has become a political target for Republicans, who associate it with the 2009 General Motors bailout and with President Obama's fondness for controversial green-energy programs. Conservative pundit Glenn Beck called it "crappy." Rush Limbaugh huffed about GM "trying to kill its customers." Obama's likely opponent, Mitt Romney, says the Volt is "an idea whose time has not come."
GM CEO Dan Akerson, not surprisingly, complains that the Volt has become a "political punching bag," with sales hurt by partisan bickering that has nothing to do with the car itself.The Volt is also the victim of inaccurate propaganda, and it happens to be an idea that other automakers are copying, not laughing at. The Volt's critics may be the ones who end up looking foolish.
The Volt will soon have more company in the electric aisle. The Ford Focus electric will go on sale soon, at the same price as its Chevy counterpart. The Toyota RAV4 electric will join them later this year, starting at $49,800. Other electrics are coming from Honda, Audi and BMW. And the Chinese, which are investing heavily in electric powertrains, may soon be selling a whole range of battery-powered cars, in China and elsewhere.
[www.usnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 09:39AM by $tevie.
Date: June 26, 2012 09:49AM
The "it's not a subsidy" is a right wing talking point, as well. In this piece they are discussing Big Oil, but the same mentality applies.
[mediamatters.org]

Date: June 26, 2012 09:29PM
Let me show you the cross again.

They are building Suburbans at 3am but can't give the Volt away.

This is not a talkign point. This is Obama's pride and joy. He wants to ride the Suburbans back tothe White House butthe idiot base keeps beating the drum of hybrids.
Date: June 26, 2012 09:29PM
$tevie
The "it's not a subsidy" is a right wing talking point, as well. In this piece they are discussing Big Oil, but the same mentality applies.
[mediamatters.org]

Who is subsidizing your employer?
Posted by: john dough
Date: June 26, 2012 11:16PM
If you are in a discussing mood, without mentioning Obama, name ONE thing that a Romney presidency will do to make the lives of the people in the middle class better. I would bet that most righties here are middle class yet do not have an answer to why they would support someone who would actively and aggressively vote against your interests.

I bet you, or any of the other righties here, cannot answer this question. I have floated this several times and this seems to shut your side up, as this is showing that you have nothing but negativity about Obama…and not much else.

You talk a lot of garbage about the left but what you to say in the positive for your candidate? Take all of the time you need.
Date: June 27, 2012 12:06AM
p8712
RgrF

Only gets 36mpg.

Oh! I thought we were comparing ugly.
Date: June 27, 2012 01:35AM
p8712
RgrF

Only gets 36mpg.

that's not too bad in-city mileage for a city car though.

and the EVs are coming.

Chevy has the Spark EV , Honda has a Fit EV, Scion and Fiat supposedly have little electrics coming, too.
They're not for everyone, but for urban drivers with tiny commutes and premium parking with increasingly faster charging batteries they'll become more popular.
They're not going away/ Not with people tending to move back to urban living and parking and congestion getting worse.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Date: June 27, 2012 09:11AM
>>They are building Suburbans at 3am but can't give the Volt away.

Let me show you the cross again -

The Volt is at or near peak production numbers.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 27, 2012 05:42PM
john dough
If you are in a discussing mood, without mentioning Obama, name ONE thing that a Romney presidency will do to make the lives of the people in the middle class better. I would bet that most righties here are middle class yet do not have an answer to why they would support someone who would actively and aggressively vote against your interests.

I bet you, or any of the other righties here, cannot answer this question. I have floated this several times and this seems to shut your side up, as this is showing that you have nothing but negativity about Obama…and not much else.

You talk a lot of garbage about the left but what you to say in the positive for your candidate? Take all of the time you need.

He can't and he won't.

Why are we feeding this Troll again?
Date: June 27, 2012 07:39PM
I am not feeding anyone, I am holding this question out there for ANY Romney supporter to answer. Either they do not know how to answer a direct question that does not jibe with the mindless right-wing drumbeat or they are just have nothing positive to say about who they support. It is easy to be a crank, as has been proven time and time again.

If the Obama haters do not want to answer this question, this speaks volumes about who they are (supporting a candidate that does not support the socio-economic class to which they belong).

I will keep pressing to get an honest answer. It is beyond me that ANYONE that is middle class can support a candidate (or group, for that matter) that actively and aggressively works against their interests. I can understand a wealthy person going all in, but I do not believe that most of the Obama bashers here are in that group (I could be way off, but I doubt it).
Date: June 27, 2012 08:47PM
mattkime

705? Don't make me laugh. They build more tanks than that. What are you driving? We already have a Volt-loving, Hemi driver.
Date: June 28, 2012 12:23AM
Answer why a middle class voter should vote for Romney.

I double-dare you.
Date: June 28, 2012 03:27PM
Avenger
mattkime

705? Don't make me laugh. They build more tanks than that. What are you driving? We already have a Volt-loving, Hemi driver.

Make that Volt and alternative energy supporter and Hemi lover smiling smiley
Date: June 28, 2012 09:22PM
Yeah, supporter who spends her money on a fire breathing Hemi but cheers others to buy the beloved hybrid. There is a name for people like that.
Date: June 28, 2012 10:14PM
Yeah, it's called "able to walk and chew gum at the same time."

Date: June 28, 2012 10:32PM
No, it means a limousine liberal. Let them sweat it out in a Fiat 500 while I motor on in my Hemi. There are other names but I refrain.
Date: June 29, 2012 08:19AM
So 1500 or so a day production is the world-wide consumption or are there duplicate facilities around the world like with smaller cars ?

[soundcloud.com]
Date: June 29, 2012 08:20AM
Avenger
No, it means a limousine liberal. Let them sweat it out in a Fiat 500 while I motor on in my Hemi. There are other names but I refrain.

What's a limousine liberal? Do you know that I am liberal? On every subject? Hmmm.

Reality is most Americans would like an alternative to oil. But most are practical. If you go off road, haul, tow, etc. those little alternative fuel cars aren't going to cut it. Got a family? Dogs? Nope, the vehicles most need aren't here yet. But most of us will cheer on the early adopters and hope it spreads to more multi-use vehicles.

And I seriously doubt anyone is sweating it out in a Fiat 500.

I have some names for people like you as well smiling smiley
Date: June 29, 2012 08:32AM
Early adopters better stop eating out and pay the subsidy themselves. This is the only divide between us. People can drive anything they want.
Date: June 29, 2012 09:18AM
Avenger
Early adopters better stop eating out and pay the subsidy themselves. This is the only divide between us. People can drive anything they want.

Subsidies are long term investments that may or may not pay off for the country. And businesses. Some of this country's biggest corporations grew and some even exist due to subsidies for some crazy newfangled technology.
Date: June 29, 2012 11:26AM
Skip going to Chili's and pay for the damned car yourself.
Date: June 29, 2012 08:56PM
Pam
Avenger

What's a limousine liberal? Do you know that I am liberal? On every subject? Hmmm.

For anyone unfamiliar with the term it started with John Lindsey, former mayor of New York now 12 years or so dead. He was derisively dubbed a limousine liberal due to his policies favoring needs of NYC people over those of institutions.

He was, like the Kennedys and Roosevelts before him, considered a traitor to his class.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020