advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
What exactly is PPACA aka: Obamacare and what did it change?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 28, 2012 11:20PM
[www.reddit.com]

"What people call "Obamacare" is actually the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. However, people
were calling it "Obamacare" before everyone even hammered out what it would be. It's a term mostly used
by people who don't like the PPACA, and it's become popularized in part because PPACA is a really long
and awkward name, even when you turn it into an acronym like that. Anyway, the PPACA made a bunch
of new rules regarding health care, with the purpose of making health care more affordable for everyone..............."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What exactly is PPACA aka: Obamacare and what did it change?
Posted by: dad@home
Date: June 28, 2012 11:50PM
What it change for me?

The good:
Two of my adult kids are still covered while at college (yay!)

The uncertain (maybe good):
It could improve my patient billings. I am an anesthesiologist in a group practice at a hospital with a very high percentage of low pay/no pay patients. Maybe with better coverage I will work less often for free.

The bad (probably):
It has terrified the administrators of the local hospitals who are convinced that they are doomed when the ACO structure is put into place (Accountable Care Organizations). To prepare they are "buying" up group practices left and right and making the docs employees. This is fraught with peril! When the bean counters have decision making power to hire and fire, layoffs could become a real possibility.

So maybe I will be working either much harder or not at all.

Time will tell.

Dad
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 29, 2012 12:26AM
Grateful11
"What people call "Obamacare" is actually the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. However, people
were calling it "Obamacare" before everyone even hammered out what it would be. It's a term mostly used
by people who don't like the PPACA, and it's become popularized in part because PPACA is a really long
and awkward name, even when you turn it into an acronym like that.

i posted the following on my Facebook status a few hours ago:

It's a mouthful but I've resolved to always say the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. "Obamacare" is a term devised by the conservative right to belittle Obama and the legislation. I refuse to accept their terminology.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 12:27AM by graylocks.
Posted by: Avenger
Date: June 29, 2012 08:19AM
The reason some want to hide it behind a meaningless acronym such as PPACA is that if they called it the "affordable" care act they would be laughed out of the room. My premiums have never been higher.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 29, 2012 08:52AM
and I bet your frickin' premiums have been rising for what the last 10-20 years like everyone else's? I suppose that's Obama's fault too.

There I go feeding the Troll again, sorry.
Date: June 29, 2012 09:14AM
They were supposed to come down, hence the "affordable" care act. Ouch, sorry!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 29, 2012 09:29AM
graylocks
It's a mouthful but I've resolved to always say the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. "Obamacare" is a term devised by the conservative right to belittle Obama and the legislation. I refuse to accept their terminology.

I would have agreed with you in the beginning, but the Democrats appear to be following the theory that if you co-opt a term you can shift its meaning from one of disparagement to one with no power over you. The DCCC is selling these bumper stickers:

Date: June 29, 2012 09:30AM
Avenger

The law doesn't kick in until 2014. Ouch, sorry!

Posted by: michaelb
Date: June 29, 2012 10:06AM
I pretty much never see it referred to or described as the PPACA, other than in official citations. In the circles of folks that deal with this professionally, ie health care policy experts, it is generally known as the the "Affordable Care Act" or the ACA. There is a split though in how the ACA is said out loud, so either:

The "ACA" as initials, or

"AcaCa" as a word.

I much prefer saying the "ACA" but it seems like the Admin and other folks in DC implementing this have trended to calling it "AcaCa" over the past year or two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 10:22AM by michaelb.
Date: June 29, 2012 11:16AM
$tevie
Avenger

Oh yeah? Why are you celebrating no preconditions and 26 year old kid coverage then. They are in right NOW. Insurance companies don't wait until 2014, by the way.
Date: June 29, 2012 11:20AM
Well, you can't determine how the entire bill will affect premiums since the Big Stuff doesn't kick in until 2014. It's a big picture kind of thing. You aren't psychic.

Plus, your insurance rates seem to go up and down depending on what point you are trying to make here on this forum.

Date: June 29, 2012 11:21AM
When did I say it went down?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 29, 2012 11:42AM
Look! Dakota proved himself right! Again!

Avenger

Date: June 29, 2012 12:03PM
$tevie
I would have agreed with you in the beginning, but the Democrats appear to be following the theory that if you co-opt a term you can shift its meaning from one of disparagement to one with no power over you. The DCCC is selling these bumper stickers:

i think that's the wrong move. reclaiming/co-opting a term has worked in some cases. Queer comes to mind (though i disagree with my son's peers who believe the N word is acceptable now). however, continuing to let the focus be Obama turns the spotlight on the messenger not the message and in this case the message is way too important.

the bumpersticker is a cheap fundraiser in an election year. i don't think it's worth the real price of the damage it promulgates.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: June 29, 2012 12:07PM
michaelb
I pretty much never see it referred to or described as the PPACA, other than in official citations. In the circles of folks that deal with this professionally, ie health care policy experts, it is generally known as the the "Affordable Care Act" or the ACA. There is a split though in how the ACA is said out loud, so either:

"AcaCa" as a word.

I much prefer saying the "ACA" but it seems like the Admin and other folks in DC implementing this have trended to calling it "AcaCa" over the past year or two.

shouldn't the word version be AfCa? AcaCa seems to be also saying @#$%& which is poop. or is that the intent in the circle you're describing?

Date: June 29, 2012 12:15PM
obama = awesome
obamacare = awesomecare

works for me.

Date: June 29, 2012 12:21PM
graylocks
michaelb

"AcaCa" as a word.

shouldn't the word version be AfCa? AcaCa seems to be also saying @#$%& which is poop. or is that the intent in the circle you're describing?

Yup. But seems to be how it is referred to by the folks in the Obama administration carrying it out at the state and federal level, including the folks at CMS-the "Centers on Medicare and Medicaid Services"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 12:22PM by michaelb.
Posted by: davester
Date: June 29, 2012 12:38PM
Avenger
$tevie
Avenger

Oh yeah? Why are you celebrating no preconditions ... They are in right NOW. Insurance companies don't wait until 2014, by the way.

Wrongo! Don't you know anything? Do you live in a completely fact-free universe? None of the cost-control provisions (few as they are) of PPACA have been implemented yet.

healthcare.gov
No Discrimination Due to Pre-Existing Conditions or Gender

Effective January 1, 2014

The law implements strong reforms that prohibit insurance companies from refusing to sell coverage or renew policies because of an individual’s pre-existing conditions. Also, in the individual and small group market, it eliminates the ability of insurance companies to charge higher rates due to gender or health status.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 12:40PM by davester.
Date: June 29, 2012 12:47PM
Here is a timeline for implementation, for anyone that is actually interested. Kaiser is and has been since the beginning the benchmark reference website for advocates on health care reform.

[healthreform.kff.org]

There are a lot of provisions in effect now, but the big stuff doesn't happen until 2014.
Date: June 29, 2012 01:23PM
davester
Avenger
$tevie
Avenger

Oh yeah? Why are you celebrating no preconditions ... They are in right NOW. Insurance companies don't wait until 2014, by the way.

Wrongo! Don't you know anything? Do you live in a completely fact-free universe? None of the cost-control provisions (few as they are) of PPACA have been implemented yet.

healthcare.gov
No Discrimination Due to Pre-Existing Conditions or Gender

Effective January 1, 2014

The law implements strong reforms that prohibit insurance companies from refusing to sell coverage or renew policies because of an individual’s pre-existing conditions. Also, in the individual and small group market, it eliminates the ability of insurance companies to charge higher rates due to gender or health status.

Insurance companies are not idiots. They are not going to wait. They raise their rates NOW.
Date: June 29, 2012 01:31PM
Avenger
Insurance companies are not idiots. They are not going to wait. They raise their rates NOW.

As they did last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. Why don't we try to find a year in which insurance companies did not raise their rates?

Note, under the ACA, insurance companies must now spend 80% of the premium on actual coverage. So they can't just keep raising rates willy nilly, or use the bulk of their money on marketing and CEO compensation and other such stuff. So that is a built in limiter on rates under the ACA.
Date: June 29, 2012 01:33PM
Avenger
When did I say it went down?

I'm sorry, I was confused. Your thing is that if a person doesn't like their work insurance, they should find a new job.

Date: June 29, 2012 01:34PM
graylocks
$tevie

i think that's the wrong move. reclaiming/co-opting a term has worked in some cases. Queer comes to mind (though i disagree with my son's peers who believe the N word is acceptable now). however, continuing to let the focus be Obama turns the spotlight on the messenger not the message and in this case the message is way too important.

the bumpersticker is a cheap fundraiser in an election year. i don't think it's worth the real price of the damage it promulgates.

You made some good points. Thanks.

Posted by: davester
Date: June 29, 2012 01:44PM
davester
Don't you know anything? Do you live in a completely fact-free universe?

I shouldn't have bothered asking. This was already a known fact, but its validity has now been reinforced. It always puzzles me that there can be idealogues out there who feel absolutely no compunction about voicing fiction in lieu of looking up information.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: June 29, 2012 03:22PM
michaelb

As they did last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. Why don't we try to find a year in which insurance companies did not raise their rates?

That is why Obama came along with his brilliant idea to "bend" the cost curve. He bent it alright but in the wrong direction. And if you are saying that the "affordable" care act isn't really affordable and failed miserably to control costs I don't have an issue with you.
Date: June 29, 2012 03:35PM
>>And if you are saying that the "affordable" care act isn't really affordable and failed miserably to control costs I don't have an issue with you.

your ability to speak about the future as though its the past is quite impressive

Posted by: Black
Date: June 30, 2012 09:17AM
graylocks
$tevie

I completely hear you, but I think it's too late. All the media is using "Obamacare" now. Score one for Rush and crew.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: June 30, 2012 04:37PM
He should be proud of it, or does he know something we don't?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 30, 2012 10:36PM
$tevie

I donated to get one of those but I won't put it on my car because the right wingnuts would key my car to no end. Using Obamacare now sort of slaps those same wingnuts in the face.

However, I won't use 'Democrat Party' in place of 'Democratic Party.' I'll go out of my way to use Democratic Party.

Ps. I would have doubled my donation if the bumper sticker had read, "I heart Romneycare."

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 11:25PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Spock
Date: July 01, 2012 07:52AM
I'm tempted to print out:-

OBAMACARE or ROMNEY DONTCARE- Your Choice

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 01, 2012 11:42PM
This was making the rounds a few years ago, in case you missed it.
Waking Up is Hard to Do!

dad@home
What it change for me?

The good:
Two of my adult kids are still covered while at college (yay!)

The uncertain (maybe good):
It could improve my patient billings. I am an anesthesiologist in a group practice at a hospital with a very high percentage of low pay/no pay patients. Maybe with better coverage I will work less often for free.

The bad (probably):
It has terrified the administrators of the local hospitals who are convinced that they are doomed when the ACO structure is put into place (Accountable Care Organizations). To prepare they are "buying" up group practices left and right and making the docs employees. This is fraught with peril! When the bean counters have decision making power to hire and fire, layoffs could become a real possibility.

So maybe I will be working either much harder or not at all.

Time will tell.

Dad
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 72
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020