advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
It's official: Corporations are people too
Posted by: Avenger
Date: July 16, 2012 09:22PM
I don't why now but here it is by non other than Jack Welch.
[online.wsj.com]

"Of course corporations are people. What else would they be? Buildings don't hire people. Buildings don't design cars that run on electricity or discover DNA-based drug therapies that target cancer cells in ways our parents could never imagine.

Buildings don't show up at a customer's factory and say, "We won't leave until we solve your inventory problem." Buildings don't encourage their employees to mentor inner-city kids in math and science. Buildings don't fund homeless shelters in Boston or health clinics in Rwanda. People do."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: It's official: Corporations are people too
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 16, 2012 09:41PM
He may be talking about people, but it sure doesn't sound like Republican people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 09:59PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 16, 2012 10:00PM
I'm with the bumpersticker that says: I refuse to believe corporations are people until Texas executes one.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Black
Date: July 16, 2012 10:12PM
Guy needs to stick to grape juice.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: July 16, 2012 10:43PM
I wonder where Immelt is on this.
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 16, 2012 11:32PM
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: July 17, 2012 06:45AM
You love corporations so much, why don't you marry one?
Date: July 17, 2012 09:07AM
Can you find me a blonde corporation?
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: July 18, 2012 07:20AM
Corporations are considered as "individuals" by the government. Which is why corporations enjoy certain privileges that are equivalent to human individuals.

And government does "kill" corporations by closing its charter with the state.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 18, 2012 10:20AM
Mac-A-Matic
Corporations are considered as "individuals" by the government. Which is why corporations enjoy certain privileges that are equivalent to human individuals.

And government does "kill" corporations by closing its charter with the state.

Where "kill" has about as much meaning as saying that since corporations are property owned by people, then those people are "enslaving" the "individual" that is a corporation.
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: July 18, 2012 12:44PM
A corporation is founded when an entity (be it an individual, group of individuals or persons representing another corporation) files a charter with the government (state) and creates a corporation. From that point forward, the government recognizes that corporation as an "individual" separate from the entity that created (filed the charter) it.

A corporation can be "killed" if the entity deems it so and filed the appropriate notice with the government, or if the government chooses to dissolve the corporation (for a variety of reasons).

Corporations as such are not "property" that are owned by people. The notion of trying to bring it down to such levels is just odd. A corporation does not reason, it does not think, it does not act of its own volition. It does not have the desire for self-determination - as a human person and, therefore, cannot be "enslaved".
Date: July 18, 2012 01:02PM
Interesting take MaM. When an LLC files its taxes, it is a joint filing with the owner. Just like the spouse would.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 18, 2012 01:21PM
Mac-A-Matic
A corporation is founded when an entity (be it an individual, group of individuals or persons representing another corporation) files a charter with the government (state) and creates a corporation. From that point forward, the government recognizes that corporation as an "individual" separate from the entity that created (filed the charter) it.

A corporation can be "killed" if the entity deems it so and filed the appropriate notice with the government, or if the government chooses to dissolve the corporation (for a variety of reasons).

Corporations as such are not "property" that are owned by people. The notion of trying to bring it down to such levels is just odd. A corporation does not reason, it does not think, it does not act of its own volition. It does not have the desire for self-determination - as a human person and, therefore, cannot be "enslaved".

I did oversimplify a bit since there are probably some kinds of corporations that are not owned by anyone (e.g., maybe some non-profits), but a very large percentage of corporations are owned:

[en.wikipedia.org]

A corporation is typically owned and controlled by its members. In a joint-stock company the members are known as shareholders and their share in the ownership, control and profits of the corporation is determined by the portion of shares in the company that they own. Thus a person who owns a quarter of the shares of a joint-stock company owns a quarter of the company, is entitled to a quarter of the profit (or at least a quarter of the profit given to shareholders as dividends) and has a quarter of the votes capable of being cast at general meetings.

I was assuming that your comment was in response to this that graylocks said: "I'm with the bumpersticker that says: I refuse to believe corporations are people until Texas executes one." It was talking about people and execution - that in no way suggests "killed by taking away a charter". A corporation cannot be killed by execution in any more or less sensible way than it can enslaved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020