advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"We've given all you people need to know"
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 19, 2012 11:24AM
Look "you people," Ann Romney has had enough, OK?

"Ann Romney dismissed concerns about her husband’s tax returns Thursday, contending that the two of them have “given all you people need to know.”

“You know, you should really look at where Mitt has led his life, and where he’s been financially,” the potential first lady said on ABC’s “Good Morning America.” “He’s a very generous person. We give 10 percent of our income to our church every year. Do you think that is the kind of person who is trying to hide things, or do things? No. He is so good about it. Then, when he was governor of Massachusetts, didn’t take a salary for four years.”
“We’ve given all you people need to know and understand about our financial situation and how we live our life,” she added later.

Tithing, or handing over 10 percent of your income, is required by the Mormon Church. In the past two years alone, the Romneys have given $1.5 million and $2.6 million to the church, respectively, according to the tax returns they’ve already released. Overall, they gave $7 million to charity in 2010 and 2011, which is more than the $6.2 million they paid in federal taxes over the same time.

Read more: [www.politico.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "We've given all you people need to know"
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 19, 2012 11:29AM

“You know, you should really look at where Mitt has led his life, and where he’s been financially,”

That's exactly why we want to see his tax returns.\

This all reads much better if you picture her mounted on her Olympic steed, who may or may not be boinking her husband.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2012 11:33AM by p8712.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 19, 2012 11:41AM
oh, well if Ann says that's all we need to know I'm good.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Pops
Date: July 19, 2012 11:47AM
It's satisfying to know that Ann thinks of me as one of "all you people". It's a touching personal connection I'll cherish.
Date: July 19, 2012 11:56AM
I'd still like to know how they swing that $77K tax deduction on her dressage hobby.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 19, 2012 12:01PM
Lemon Drop
I'd still like to know how they swing that $77K tax deduction on her dressage hobby.

If you are rich enough then your hobbies can be expensive enough to be considered economic investments.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 19, 2012 12:06PM
Pops
It's satisfying to know that Ann thinks of me as one of "all you people". It's a touching personal connection I'll cherish.

The "all you people" thing isn't, by itself, much of a big deal, but when you put it with other comments like "want to bet $10,000" and "some of my best friends are Nascar car owners" there is cumulative weight of impression that the tone deafness exhibited in such comments really does come from a sense of detachment from the dirty masses.
Date: July 19, 2012 12:17PM
Ted King
Lemon Drop

If you are rich enough then your hobbies can be expensive enough to be considered economic investments.
\
OK I got more info on this. They actually only claimed a $50 loss on that, not $77K. This is because the horse generates no income for them now, which is why I couldn't understand how they'd get that deduction. Turns out, the hope is that after the Olympics this horse could become significantly more valuable and start earning stud fees, future income from which this loss-carried-forward could be deducted.

So this is the guy who wants to simplify the tax code? Will that include losses carried forward on hobby horses?

(with thanks to Slate for the detailed explanation
[www.slate.com])
Posted by: Avenger
Date: July 19, 2012 12:36PM
p8712

“You know, you should really look at where Mitt has led his life, and where he’s been financially,”

That's exactly why we want to see his tax returns.\

It ain't coming. And frankly with the you-didn't-build-that fiasco, Bain and tax returns are history. It didn't move the needle one bit. Obama should be watching his back instead.

Now, did you hear 386,000 new unemployment claims today. That 's what's gonna sink you.
Date: July 19, 2012 12:39PM
The "you people" are the Obama hacks masquerading as reporters. The fact that you take this personally is telling.
Date: July 19, 2012 12:47PM
No I'm pretty sure she meant the GOP voters, members of Congress, commentators and political websites that have been calling on Romney to release his tax returns. Will they take it personally and if so is that telling?
Date: July 19, 2012 12:48PM
And what is wrong with you people anyway?
Posted by: decay
Date: July 19, 2012 01:34PM

MOVE ALONG... nothing to see here...
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 19, 2012 02:23PM
"We give 10 percent of our income to our church every year."

When I first read this, I thought she said "children."
Posted by: maco
Date: July 19, 2012 02:33PM
"We've given all you people need to know"

reminds me of:

"Only the little people pay taxes"
Date: July 19, 2012 03:07PM
Dennis S
"We give 10 percent of our income to our church every year."

When I first read this, I thought she said "children."

You hear what you want to hear.
Posted by: decay
Date: July 19, 2012 03:51PM
[factcheck.org]

Mitt Romney says he is following the “precedent” set by John McCain in releasing just two years of tax returns. That’s accurate. But McCain, the 2008 GOP nominee, bucked the trend of other recent presidential candidates.

In more than three decades, no other nominees for either party have released fewer than five years’ worth of returns. Romney’s own father released a dozen years’ worth when he ran for the GOP nomination in 1968.

Romney has been under mounting public pressure to release tax returns — largely due to the Obama campaign raising questions about Swiss bank accounts and investments in the Cayman Islands, a tax haven. Romney has released his tax returns for 2010 and an estimate for 2011 (the full return of which he says he will release later). He says that’s enough.

---
Posted by: August West
Date: July 19, 2012 04:01PM

Mitt Romney says he is following the “precedent” set by John McCain in releasing just two years of tax returns.

From what I read, McCain also had a lengthy disclosure of finance reporting from his government service.
Posted by: Pops
Date: July 19, 2012 05:08PM
Ted King
there is cumulative weight of impression that the tone deafness exhibited in such comments really does come from a sense of detachment from the dirty masses the average American.
fixed
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 19, 2012 11:57PM
What she probably wanted to say was, "We've given all you 99 percenters all you need to know"
Date: July 20, 2012 12:18AM
That means he hasn't given the Obamas anything yet. They are in the remaining 1%. I think
Posted by: hal
Date: July 20, 2012 03:19PM
Grateful11
What she probably wanted to say was, "We've given all you 99 percenters all you need to know"

seems obvious to me that she was meaning the lamestream media - the question was actually asked by a member of the media...
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 21, 2012 06:59AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2012 07:02AM by RgrF.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020