advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Huckabee in the pro-rape camp...
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: August 20, 2012 07:28PM
[www.latimes.com]

“Ethel Waters, for example, was the result of a forcible rape,” Huckabee said of the late American gospel singer. One-time presidential candidate Huckabee added: “I used to work for James Robison back in the 1970s, he leads a large Christian organization. He, himself, was the result of a forcible rape. And so I know it happens, and yet even from those horrible, horrible tragedies of rape, which are inexcusable and indefensible, life has come and sometimes, you know, those people are able to do extraordinary things.”

Wow!

Rape makes people successful in life and grants miraculous artistic abilities. It's a gift.

I didn't know that before.

Thanks, Mike!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Huckabee in the pro-rape camp...
Posted by: Black
Date: August 20, 2012 07:34PM
Rape should not be blathered on about lightly.
However it got out of that box, it needs to go back in.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: August 20, 2012 07:43PM
Chakravartin
[www.latimes.com]

“Ethel Waters, for example, was the result of a forcible rape,” Huckabee said of the late American gospel singer. One-time presidential candidate Huckabee added: “I used to work for James Robison back in the 1970s, he leads a large Christian organization. He, himself, was the result of a forcible rape. And so I know it happens, and yet even from those horrible, horrible tragedies of rape, which are inexcusable and indefensible, life has come and sometimes, you know, those people are able to do extraordinary things.”

Wow!

Rape makes people successful in life and grants miraculous artistic abilities. It's a gift.

Thanks, Mike!

this is just a dumb post

Huckabee is anti abortion - not pro rape - there's a difference
Date: August 20, 2012 07:59PM
hal
Huckabee is anti abortion - not pro rape - there's a difference

I think that he's trying to have it both ways. He's both anti-rape and pro-rape-consequences.

It's "inexcusable," but look at all the good that comes from it. Especially when the rape victim gets pregnant from the rape.

Meanwhile, Akin has gone on to explain his comments a bit more:

[www.mediaite.com]

“Well, my only point in that was I had heard from medical reports that rape is such a traumatic type of thing that, um, that it, uh, that here is a reaction,” said Akin. “But that’s wrong and that’s the second thing that I’ve apologized for.”

It's nice that he's learned something from the experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 08:00PM by Chakravartin.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 20, 2012 08:03PM
The Huckster gave 2 examples of "legitimate" rape resulting in pregnancies. I thought Akin said it didn't happen.
Date: August 20, 2012 08:12PM
I think this whole word play mess if bogus...

When this country is one where abortion is illegal except in case of rape, don't you suspect that some women that have suffered unwanted pregnancies will claim rape by an unknown assailant so they can get the abortion? Is that so hard to imagine?

I have no problem with someone saying, "look, this is a legitimate case of rape - my client should be allowed to abort this pregnancy."

Discussion of REAL issues are lost when we all just sit around and yell at each other over nonsense non-issues like this.
Date: August 20, 2012 08:23PM
hal

When this country is one where abortion is illegal except in case of rape, don't you suspect that some women that have suffered unwanted pregnancies will claim rape by an unknown assailant so they can get the abortion? Is that so hard to imagine?

I have no problem with someone saying, "look, this is a legitimate case of rape - my client should be allowed to abort this pregnancy."

I do. I have a big problem with it.

People shouldn't have to go on trial each time a case arises where they wish to exercise their rights as citizens.

And the right to the integrity of your person (known under the Roe v Wade decision as the "right to privacy" ) is indisputably a right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 08:24PM by Chakravartin.
Posted by: Spock
Date: August 20, 2012 08:28PM
hal

When this country is one where abortion is illegal except in case of rape ......

... then the Christian Taliban will have won.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Date: August 20, 2012 08:29PM
Chakravartin
hal

I do. I have a big problem with it.

People shouldn't have to go on trial each time a case arises where they wish to exercise their rights as citizens.

And the right to the integrity of your person (known under the Roe v Wade decision as the "right to privacy" ) is indisputably a right.

what does that have to do with anything? Of course it's an indisputable right today... the discussion is about the phrase "legitimate rape", not roe v wade

the words are perfectly proper in the context they were used
Posted by: billb
Date: August 20, 2012 08:34PM
hal
Chakravartin
[www.latimes.com]

Wow!

Thanks, Mike!

this is just a dumb post
absolutely
He's saying nothing more than despite the stigma regarding the circumstances of one's birth/ conception many go on to become extraordinary people, despite it not because of it

emotional trauma induced miscarriage is not unheard of either

I certainly wouldn't want to count on it because there were no other choices, whether you consider those choices ugly or not

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: August 20, 2012 08:40PM
hal
... the discussion is about the phrase "legitimate rape", not roe v wade

No rape is "legitimate", ever.

Posted by: August West
Date: August 20, 2012 08:44PM

Discussion of REAL issues are lost...

I imagine this is a very real issue to women.
Date: August 20, 2012 08:54PM
Spock
hal

@#$%& - was it a real rape? it was? then it was a legitimate rape - see?

stop attaching meaning to phrases that weren't there initially

you are simply choosing to not respect the actual meaning of the words

it's like those repubs that couldn't handle the concept that those flying airplanes into a building exhibited bravery while doing so... they couldn't handle the idea that evil people can be brave... they can be brave while doing evil acts...

these are just words...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 08:56PM by hal.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 20, 2012 08:57PM
Chakravartin
Meanwhile, Akin has gone on to explain his comments a bit more
“Well, my only point in that was I had heard from medical reports that rape is such a traumatic type of thing that, um, that it, uh, that here is a reaction,” said Akin. “But that’s wrong and that’s the second thing that I’ve apologized for.”

It's nice that he's learned something from the experience.

He's apparently learned to lie. "I had heard from medical reports that..." is absolute bullshite. Not only does the guy shoot his mouth off about a controversial subject that he has absolutely no knowledge about, but then he tries to "apologize" for it by lying about a bogus medical report. He has amply demonstrated that he is not fit for office (or for any other position where he might have some control or influence over other people).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: August 20, 2012 09:01PM
I think you're arguing about the wrong definition of "legitimate rape", hal. The subtext and code is that a non-legitimate rape is where one of those "bad girls" who was "asking for it" got raped. They are the ones where a pregnancy resulted because they lacked the purity that would result in their body rejecting the pregnancy.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 20, 2012 09:12PM
Nick Baumann at Mother Jones has covered the language issue and the use of "legitimate rape" in legislation, including a bill co-sponsored by Akin and Paul Ryan.

[www.motherjones.com]

Another couple of overviews of the political usage of the words -

[jezebel.com]

[www.religiondispatches.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 09:16PM by lafinfil.
Date: August 20, 2012 09:19PM
From fil's second link, needs repeating.

"Let's stop differentiating between different types of rape as if they were different flavors at an ice cream shop. Politicians need to get over the pervasive fear that adopting a zero-tolerance attitude towards rape means that people will be able to disingenuously "cry rape" if they're having a bad day. That's not going to happen. You know what's way more dangerous? Allowing legislators like Akin to make declarative statements that are unarguably false. If you don't know how basic biology works, you shouldn't be able to hold a government position that gives you real power over the bodies of millions of women."

Date: August 20, 2012 09:36PM
hal
Spock
hal

@#$%& - was it a real rape? it was? then it was a legitimate rape - see?

I shouldn't have to explain this: The word "legitimate" is redundant and insulting in this context. If it's a rape, it's a rape whether or not a politician (or bureaucrat) "legitimizes" it.

The only purpose for adding the word "legitimate" ( or "forcible" ) to the laws governing federal health funding and services is to add ambiguity to provide the opportunity for arbitrary and punitive enforcement. And this has been one of the top items on Akin's misogynist-agenda for quite awhile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 09:37PM by Chakravartin.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 20, 2012 11:00PM
[www.guardian.co.uk]

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 21, 2012 07:11AM
Here's a thought concept that will cause these idiots heads to explode. Just point it out the next time you hear of it...

The concept of 'allowable rape' is covered under Islamic Law.

That's right.. these nimrods are trying to .... IMPOSE SHARIA !!!!

Woooo !!!!!

(And if it's not obvious, I think these idiots are insane. I have a daughter. I have sisters. If one of them was raped, I'd sure as hell want them to have the option to not carry some bastard rapist's child to term. And I'm a Catholic too... guess I need to be excommunicated..)
Date: August 21, 2012 07:21AM
cbelt
... guess I need to be excommunicated..

Well, of course. We've known that for a while. However, the Church has tended to abdicate its more important duties lately. big grin smiley
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 21, 2012 12:24PM
$tevie
[www.guardian.co.uk]

Interesting.

The US is having an election about lady parts. In 2012.
We're unbelievable.
Date: August 21, 2012 12:59PM
Lemon Drop
$tevie
[www.guardian.co.uk]

Interesting.

We're unbelievable.

agree smiley

Date: August 21, 2012 01:07PM
Looks like Akin is sticking around.
We have our Christine O'Donnell of 2012. Only he's not funny, in the slightest.
Posted by: kj
Date: August 21, 2012 03:51PM
Chakravartin
[www.latimes.com]

Wow!

Thanks, Mike!

No, Rape is not a gift, the product of the rape can be a gift. No one likes analogies, but think of Lance Armstrong's experience. A lot of good came out of Lance Armstrong's cancer, but no one would say cancer is a gift. Would someone say, "cancer is great, it helped Lance win lots of races, etc, etc."? You fight against cancer; you fight against rape. But you can't discount any good that comes as a result of adversity. And in this case, if everything about the horrible rape has to be horrible, you're stuck with a situation where the product of the rape (a child) has to be horrible. That's not cool. Let's not let politics get in the way of what's real here. kj.
Date: August 21, 2012 04:04PM
I don't disagree with anything Mike Huckabee says in that quote above. Calling any child "horrible" because of the circumstances of her birth is wrong. Don't we all already know that? Who disagrees? We don't use the terms "bastard" or even "illegitimate" so much any more for that simple reason.

Where I disagree sharply with Mr. Huckabee is that in my opinion it should be the woman's choice to carry that pregnancy to term, or not.
Date: August 21, 2012 04:06PM
It's a total non sequitur and Huckabee should have kept his yap shut.

Posted by: Kiva
Date: August 21, 2012 04:10PM
I've worked with a couple dozen kids that were products of a rape and they are/were totally fsked up from the experience of being a child conceived in such a manner. Shall we count them as well in his little poll?

----------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 04:11PM by Kiva.
Date: August 21, 2012 04:35PM
Kiva
I've worked with a couple dozen kids that were products of a rape and they are/were totally fsked up from the experience of being a child conceived in such a manner. Shall we count them as well in his little poll?

Is it that they were conceived that way, or was it the way they were treated due to being conceived that way? At any rate, hopefully you'll agree they aren't irrevocably doomed. kj.
Date: August 21, 2012 04:43PM
kj, Lance Armstrong did not win any races because he had cancer. He won them through smarts, genetic luck, and hard work. I would also argue that a child of rape is not a "product" of rape. It is much more a product of coercive religious indoctrination that convinces some women that they must submit to bearing the unwanted child of some scumbag so that they don't offend an imaginary person in the sky.

Date: August 21, 2012 04:45PM
Lemon Drop
I don't disagree with anything Mike Huckabee says in that quote above. Calling any child "horrible" because of the circumstances of her birth is wrong. Don't we all already know that? Who disagrees? We don't use the terms "bastard" or even "illegitimate" so much any more for that simple reason.

Where I disagree sharply with Mr. Huckabee is that in my opinion it should be the woman's choice to carry that pregnancy to term, or not.

Do you agree that this:

"Rape makes people successful in life and grants miraculous artistic abilities. It's a gift."

represents what Mike Huckabee said? I don't, and that's clearly what I was addressing. kj.
Date: August 21, 2012 05:06PM
davester
kj, Lance Armstrong did not win any races because he had cancer. He won them through smarts, genetic luck, and hard work. I would also argue that a child of rape is not a "product" of rape. It is much more a product of coercive religious indoctrination that convinces some women that they must submit to bearing the unwanted child of some scumbag so that they don't offend an imaginary person in the sky.

Of course not (although he did claim it allowed him to rebuild his body in a way that suited his goals). I don't think that's really my point.

And I think I'll give women who decide to carry the child to term a little more credit for having the capacity to think for themselves than you do. And I'm afraid I'm going to have to Davester you and ask for something to back up your beliefs with supporting data. How many of those women who have children that are fathered by a rapist are coerced by religious leaders into doing so? kj.
Date: August 21, 2012 05:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 05:08PM by davester.
Date: August 21, 2012 05:08PM
kj
Lemon Drop

Do you agree that this:

"Rape makes people successful in life and grants miraculous artistic abilities. It's a gift."

represents what Mike Huckabee said? I don't, and that's clearly what I was addressing. kj.

I didn't address that comment at all. Nor did I address you. But thanks for chiming in.
Date: August 21, 2012 05:20PM
kj
And I'm afraid I'm going to have to Davester you and ask for something to back up your beliefs with supporting data. How many of those women who have children that are fathered by a rapist are coerced by religious leaders into doing so? kj.

Obviously, it is unlikely that there are statistics that might bear on this. It seems self-evident that almost all women who are not opposed to abortion would abort an embryo resulting from a rape and that almost all of those who oppose first trimester abortion or morning after pills do so on religious grounds. Are you actually disputing this, or are you just saying this because you are just trying to get back at me for demanding proof of some of your more outlandish claims?

Posted by: billb
Date: August 21, 2012 05:48PM
Lemon Drop
$tevie
[www.guardian.co.uk]

Interesting.

We're unbelievable.

You could always pour those DemDollars towards another weinergate instead.
[www.nydailynews.com]

" unbelievable" is quite apt.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: August 21, 2012 06:04PM
davester
kj
And I'm afraid I'm going to have to Davester you and ask for something to back up your beliefs with supporting data. How many of those women who have children that are fathered by a rapist are coerced by religious leaders into doing so? kj.

Obviously, it is unlikely that there are statistics that might bear on this. It seems self-evident that almost all women who are not opposed to abortion would abort an embryo resulting from a rape and that almost all of those who oppose first trimester abortion or morning after pills do so on religious grounds. Are you actually disputing this, or are you just saying this because you are just trying to get back at me for demanding proof of some of your more outlandish claims?

No, I just think that your first claim is indefensible. And untrue. I would have to admit that as much as you demand citations, I am surprised you would expect your "self-evident truth" to be self-evident to others. But no big deal, if that's your impression, I'll just say it's not mine. kj.
Date: August 21, 2012 06:05PM
$tevie

Bingo!

And KJ... You're digging yourself a hole trying to justify those comments.

Whether or not one in a million children of rape grow up to be great artists or one in a million rape-victims improves her life as a result, that doesn't justify treating women like chattel and breeding-cows.
Date: August 21, 2012 06:15PM
Chakravartin
$tevie

Bingo!

Whether or not one in a million children of rape grow up to be great artists or one in a million rape-victims improves her life as a result, that doesn't justify treating women like chattel and breeding-cows.

BS. No one has said anything like "treating women like chattel and breeding-cows", nor "Rape makes people successful in life and grants miraculous artistic abilities. It's a gift." If people are going to [mis]characterize my beliefs in such a way, I'm going to call them on their dishonesty. kj.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 06:15PM by kj.
Date: August 21, 2012 06:24PM
kj
Chakravartin
$tevie

Bingo!

BS. No one has said anything like "treating women like chattel and breeding-cows", nor "Rape makes people successful in life and grants miraculous artistic abilities. It's a gift." If people are going to [mis]characterize my beliefs in such a way, I'm going to call them on their dishonesty. kj.

QUOTE:
No, Rape is not a gift, the product of the rape can be a gift... you can't discount any good that comes as a result of adversity.

There's no justifying rape, nor forcing women to carry the product of rape to-term. Yet you're making quite an effort at it. THAT is treating women like chattel and breeding cows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 06:25PM by Chakravartin.
Date: August 21, 2012 06:25PM

If people are going to [mis]characterize my beliefs in such a way, I'm going to call them on their dishonesty. kj.

Does this mean you acknowledge your dishonesty in your act of making up words and pretending that they were mine?
Date: August 21, 2012 06:33PM
Chakravartin
kj
Chakravartin
$tevie

Bingo!

QUOTE:
No, Rape is not a gift, the product of the rape can be a gift... you can't discount any good that comes as a result of adversity.

There's no justifying rape, nor forcing women to carry the product of rape to-term. Yet you're making quite an effort at it. THAT is treating women like chattel and breeding cows.

No one has tried to justify rape. That is a dishonest mischaracterization. Even those who don't support abortion in the case of rape don't have that as a goal. So that's a mischaracterization too. kj.
Date: August 21, 2012 06:35PM
August West

If people are going to [mis]characterize my beliefs in such a way, I'm going to call them on their dishonesty. kj.

Does this mean you acknowledge your dishonesty in your act of making up words and pretending that they were mine?

No, I don't agree I did that. If I misunderstood you, I didn't do it on purpose, which makes it an honest mistake. And I'm not even sure I did that. kj.
Date: August 21, 2012 06:42PM
kj, you are trying to defend the indefensible .... and failing.

Just out of curiosity, can you trace your lineage back to King Canute?

Date: August 21, 2012 06:54PM
kj
No one has tried to justify rape. That is a dishonest mischaracterization. Even those who don't support abortion in the case of rape don't have that as a goal. So that's a mischaracterization too. kj.

QUOTE:
Date: August 21, 2012 06:59PM

And I'm not even sure I did that. kj.

Isn't that a convenient way to justify your dishonesty. You lied about me, but you won't admit it. Moron.
Posted by: Black
Date: August 21, 2012 07:14PM
August West

Isn't that a convenient way to justify your dishonesty. You lied about me, but you won't admit it. Moron.

I don't think I've ever seen August go negative on even the most obnoxious troll here. There needs to be some sort of prize for that.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: August 21, 2012 07:23PM
Chakravartin
kj

QUOTE:

Ok, so you're saying the resulting child is not a gift, right? Then what status do you give the child who is a product of rape? Better off dead? To me, the rapist should pay dearly, but the resulting child is not him, so I can't see the child being defined by him. That's where I'm having difficulty. kj.
Date: August 21, 2012 07:24PM
Black
August West

I don't think I've ever seen August go negative on even the most obnoxious troll here. There needs to be some sort of prize for that.

Then you haven't been watching him very closely. kj.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 21, 2012 07:27PM
kj, are you saying that a pregnancy that results from a rape can be considered a gift by the woman who was raped? Or are you saying that it doesn't matter whether the woman considers it a gift or not - that's not relavent to what it is that makes it a gift; that is, it is a gift no matter how the woman feels about it?

I can agree with you if you mean the former, but I would reject the latter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020