advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Predictions: Republican Convention
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 22, 2012 10:00PM
This will be the first convention since Ike's second one that I will miss. My TV situation is worse than it was in 1956.

Remember some of the conventions when all hell would break loose, not even counting the 1968 Democratic convention? Will the Ron Paul people throw a wrench into things? Will Mitt have backed himself into a corner or out on a ledge by then? Will some of the Real Republicans decide he just won't do? Will he be dead in the water in the polls and cause some Real Republicans to panic? Will there be a Draft JEB faction? Will there be some women who will have had enough? Will the Tea Party decide things aren't hard core enough and pitch a fit? Will Sarah Palin throw bombs from outside the velvet rope? Will Rick Santorum go over the line on the podium? Will Donald Trump make a fool of himself? Will Todd Akin try to crash the party?

Or, it could go off without a hitch. I think it will be interesting.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Predictions: Republican Convention
Posted by: hal
Date: August 22, 2012 10:09PM
Palin has not yet been invited :-)

All in all, be thankful that you'll miss this one. I doubt there will be another barn burner in my lifetime. If the convention isn't 100% predictable, then something CAN GO WRONG! We can't have that...

The repubs THIS YEAR will just put on the show and pretend that all is great in the grand ol party... and smile... there will be a lot of smiling - you heard it here first!

The big stars never even tried to get on the ticket. 2016 will be no holds barred (assuming that get their act together by then - I think they will)
Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 22, 2012 10:11PM
As opposed to Democrats, Republicans march in lockstep. They will go in the direction that their bosses tell them to go.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 22, 2012 11:15PM
It'll be scripted to the minute as pioneered by President Nixon in 1972. Same for the Democratic convention.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Black
Date: August 22, 2012 11:21PM
Is it a money thing? I've got a 24" Viewsonic that I haven't used in several years. I'll send it to you if someone else will cover shipping.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 22, 2012 11:24PM
Hookers and booze and at least one obscure congressman from a midwestern state will be found skinny dipping in Tampa Bay, but will claim it as a religious experience.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 22, 2012 11:41PM
Where there could theoretically be some excitement is when the delegates vote on the platform. It would be great if some of them rose up and fought against some of the more absurd planks. But I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: hal
Date: August 22, 2012 11:47PM
I think the only shot at some entertainment would be if Palin and some tea party kooks crashed the party and staged some kind of 'protest' to get their whacked ideas on the platform...

the pubs really, REALLY need to be reaching for the center now - just was the teabaggers want least...
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: August 23, 2012 12:24AM
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 23, 2012 01:01AM
Black
Is it a money thing? I've got a 24" Viewsonic that I haven't used in several years. I'll send it to you if someone else will cover shipping.

Thanks, Black, but I have a 20" Sony CRT. The problem is I am too far from the 2 closest cities to get either one of their signals through a digital converter. DISH busts my budget because no matter how good a deal they offer, the second year in the contract will be higher. Also, by the time I add DVR and HD and locals, etc. to the plan, it's more than I can pay. In some ways, I've learned to enjoy missing all of the junk on TV.
Posted by: Pops
Date: August 23, 2012 06:43AM
Mitt will never have the testicles to challenge the platform policy on serious issues like abortion. And that will assure his defeat.

Mitt is Mitt.

Close in votes as Ohio and Florida may be, if the Dems play this card well, they can not help but swing enough women's votes to make a difference. Once again, the Tea Party nuts have put the gun to their own head.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 23, 2012 06:45AM
These things have no meaning to him, he has a huge war chest and believes that's all he needs.
Posted by: Spock
Date: August 23, 2012 07:02AM
Hurricane Isaac will strengthen to a force four, rip the roof off the convention center and dampen the ardor of the participants.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 23, 2012 07:11AM
...and Spock will simply ascend to the mother ship all the while watching the turmoil left behind.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 23, 2012 08:15AM
RgrF
These things have no meaning to him, he has a huge war chest and believes that's all he needs.

this is amercia. what's the point of having money if you and your friends can't buy a presidency?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: August 23, 2012 09:31AM
The Republican Convention is a show more tightly choreographed than the Ziegfeld Follies.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 23, 2012 10:34AM
Dennis S
This will be the first convention since Ike's second one that I will miss. My TV situation is worse than it was in 1956.

Remember some of the conventions when all hell would break loose, not even counting the 1968 Democratic convention? Will the Ron Paul people throw a wrench into things? Will Mitt have backed himself into a corner or out on a ledge by then? Will some of the Real Republicans decide he just won't do? Will he be dead in the water in the polls and cause some Real Republicans to panic? Will there be a Draft JEB faction? Will there be some women who will have had enough? Will the Tea Party decide things aren't hard core enough and pitch a fit? Will Sarah Palin throw bombs from outside the velvet rope? Will Rick Santorum go over the line on the podium? Will Donald Trump make a fool of himself? Will Todd Akin try to crash the party?

Or, it could go off without a hitch. I think it will be interesting.

I just gave away the only TV in the house so what I tune into for convention coverage will be online. I think that will me more than enough for me. The anarachists might try something interesting I hear but the police protection of these events has gotten so tight that I doubt they can accomplish much. As for speeches, it's going to be dull this year I think. No lipstick on pitbulls, no new guy in town with all the hope and change.
On election night and for the debates I'll go to watching parties with the "my town" for Obama folks. Getting the results doesn't require us old west coast folks to stay up too late.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 23, 2012 11:19AM

[www2.tbo.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: August 23, 2012 11:36AM
second-most financially distressed community in the United States
they must be proud

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: August 23, 2012 02:37PM
billb
they must be proud

Ha.
Look at the most financially healthy cities on that list. 3 of top 4 run by liberal Democrats.
[www.credability.org]
Posted by: Avenger
Date: August 23, 2012 02:50PM
How about top ten states?
Date: August 23, 2012 02:54PM
Lemon Drop
billb
they must be proud

Ha.
Look at the most financially healthy cities on that list. 3 of top 4 run by liberal Democrats.
[www.credability.org]

How many of those are hosting the RNC this year ?

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Date: August 23, 2012 02:58PM
billb
Lemon Drop
billb
they must be proud

Ha.
[www.credability.org]

How many of those are hosting the RNC this year ?

What's your point? Tampa's problems are not because of the city's government, they are because the Bush housing crisis and resultant recession ate Florida alive.
What are Republicans going to do to help Florida besides spend on hookers and booze for a few days? Fill us in please.
Date: August 23, 2012 04:15PM
No one was exempt from the Clinton housing bubble popping nor the recession.

[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020