advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
How many more times do we have to hear Obama is more "likable"?
Posted by: Avenger
Date: August 24, 2012 07:41AM
So I am reading Politico today and one more poll breaks the news to the country that Obama is more likable. Alright, we get it. These pollsters find one question that helps Obama and can't keep asking it enough. In the mean time, he is tanking with independents. Good luck finding that headline.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How many more times do we have to hear Obama is more "likable"?
Posted by: Black
Date: August 24, 2012 07:47AM
Already covered in about 3 threads over the past 24 hours, but it's relevant because lack thereof is being shown to be the #1 thing hobbling your boy Mitt.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: August 24, 2012 08:12AM
What do you want, polls about how angry young unemployed youth are going to vote ?

You won't hear from the electoral college screamers unless that starts getting close, too.

That didn't fly.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2012 08:49AM by billb.
Date: August 24, 2012 08:37AM
Black
Already covered in about 3 threads over the past 24 hours, but it's relevant because lack thereof is being shown to be the #1 thing hobbling your boy Mitt.

Here is what you don't want to read but I am going to force it down your throat.

Independents back Romney by 42-32 percent (one in four is undecided). Independents were vital to Obama’s 2008 victory, backing him over Republican John McCain by 52-44 percent (Fox News exit poll).
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 24, 2012 08:38AM
In case you did not realize it, 'likeability' is a significant factor when a voter makes their decision. Which is why polls ask about it.

Other than that, there is nothing to see here.
Date: August 24, 2012 08:41AM
How many times did they ask this question with Bush-Gore race? ZERO. The word didn't even exist back then.
Posted by: beagledave
Date: August 24, 2012 09:11AM
Avenger
How many times did they ask this question with Bush-Gore race? ZERO. The word didn't even exist back then.

You're so cute.

[abcnews.go.com]

[www.msnbc.msn.com]

[www.nytimes.com]

[news.google.com]
Posted by: mick e
Date: August 24, 2012 09:24AM
Is Dakota applying for som kind of selective memory study?

Unpaid Social Liaison
Posted by: davester
Date: August 24, 2012 09:35AM
Is "troll" or "laughing stock" a more apt description, and which one is more "likable"?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: August 24, 2012 09:38AM
More...

[www.washingtonpost.com]

In every presidential election for the past two decades , the candidate viewed as more likable was the one who won.

You have to go back to Carter/Ford or Nixon/McGovern to find "less liked" candidates who won.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2012 09:39AM by beagledave.
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: August 24, 2012 09:56AM
I certainly "like" Obama more than Romney.
Posted by: decay
Date: August 24, 2012 10:20AM
i think Kerry wasn't as likable, either.

we see how that turned out.

here's an article about Romney back from May of this year:

[www.thedailybeast.com]

Historical question: When is the last time the clearly less likeable candidate beat the clearly more likeable one for the White House? The answer is, a long time. I put the question to Gallup, which didn’t have historical numbers at hand. But doing some noodling around on my own suggests that you have to go back to 1968 to find such a result.

In 2004, George W. Bush generally led the likeable category. Pew emailed me some numbers—they had Bush leading John Kerry on likeability by 47 to 36 percent in September 2004. Interestingly, Kerry caught up and even went ahead after the first debate. But even so, voters judged both very likeable—70 percent for Kerry, and 65 percent for Bush. In 2000, Bush usually topped Al Gore, but not by massive margins. An October 2000 poll gave Bush an 11-point margin. Pew had a nine-point margin for Bush around the same time.
Date: August 24, 2012 10:36AM
beagledave
Avenger

You're so cute.

[abcnews.go.com]

[www.msnbc.msn.com]

[www.nytimes.com]

[news.google.com]

So much for your "Likability Theory". Go dig up more links. These didn't help.

Forty-two percent of registered voters said they would back Mr. Gore if the election were held today, and 39 percent said they would vote for Mr. Bush.
Date: August 24, 2012 10:37AM
davester
Is "troll" or "laughing stock" a more apt description, and which one is more "likable"?

What are you doing in the "troll thread" again, Lucas?
Date: August 24, 2012 11:20AM
Avenger
beagledave
Avenger

You're so cute.

[abcnews.go.com]

[www.msnbc.msn.com]

[www.nytimes.com]

[news.google.com]

So much for your "Likability Theory". Go dig up more links. These didn't help.

Forty-two percent of registered voters said they would back Mr. Gore if the election were held today, and 39 percent said they would vote for Mr. Bush.

It IS cute when you have to do some handwaving because your assertion (that likability was not a polling issue before Obama) is proven wrong.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 24, 2012 12:22PM
Dakota, whats your likability rating?

Date: August 24, 2012 12:47PM
mattkime
Dakota, whats your likability rating?

Must not be so great 'cuz he can't even win his own threads...

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 24, 2012 01:07PM
Dakota is ramping up to full troll mode again. This is what he lives for, the loser. He doesn't realize that in a Romney presidency, he will be screwed right along with everyone else.
Date: August 24, 2012 01:34PM
If "more likable" is all you've got that's all you're going to hear.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 24, 2012 01:35PM
Uhm.. kids.... can we calm down with the ad hominemisms here please ? Responding to a brief rant with information is all very fine. Responding with taunts is designed to create an additional emotional response, and does not improve the discussion.

OK ? I'm not a mod, or a Den Mother, but it's starting to get a bit ugly. Let's stay on our bicycles, and not put on the clown suits and start a tricycle race.
Date: August 24, 2012 01:42PM
It's the semi-automatic rapid-fire keyboards that are out of control, not the hands behind them.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 24, 2012 02:26PM
cbelt3
Uhm.. kids.... can we calm down with the ad hominemisms here please ? Responding to a brief rant with information is all very fine. Responding with taunts is designed to create an additional emotional response, and does not improve the discussion.

OK ? I'm not a mod, or a Den Mother, but it's starting to get a bit ugly. Let's stay on our bicycles, and not put on the clown suits and start a tricycle race.

agree smiley

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 24, 2012 02:53PM
billb

The best line here by far. I too think he is likable but that is not going to put food on the table. Was Jobs likable?
Date: August 24, 2012 03:11PM
Avenger
billb

The best line here by far. I too think he is likable but that is not going to put food on the table.

I'm confused-- is forum trolling not lucrative enough to put food on your table?

Date: August 24, 2012 03:17PM
I suggest you take some food to your Cabrini-Green favorite neighborhood. They'll thank you for what your party bosses have done for them.
Date: August 24, 2012 03:47PM
Avenger
I suggest you take some food to your Cabrini-Green favorite neighborhood. They'll thank you for what your party bosses have done for them.

Got a rude awakening to share with you, Rip:

[maps.google.com]

Date: August 24, 2012 04:17PM
Black
Avenger

[maps.google.com]

Heh.

oh snap smiley
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: August 24, 2012 05:17PM
Avenger

Cabrini-Green ain't what it used to be - back in the early 90s when I happened to get lost in Chicago and ended up in CG and saw a woman get abducted right off the street.
Date: August 24, 2012 07:48PM
Black
Avenger

[maps.google.com]

Wasn't it closer to Durso Park ?
about 7 blocks south ?

[soundcloud.com]
Date: August 24, 2012 09:35PM
Remember Romney speaking at NAACP? I would start with a slide show showing the human tragedy Cabrini-Green was. The conditions bordered on concentration camps. Then I would ask them if the architects of this human atrocity deserve 95% of your vote. That'll shut them up quick.

According to the CHA, the early residents of the Cabrini row houses were predominantly of Italian ancestry.[4] By 1962, however, a majority of residents in the completed complex were black. Crime and radical culture change drove whites from the complex over the following decade; by the 1970s, its population was almost entirely black.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 24, 2012 10:02PM
Avenger
Remember Romney speaking at NAACP? I would start with a slide show showing the human tragedy Cabrini-Green was. The conditions bordered on concentration camps. Then I would ask them if the architects of this human atrocity deserve 95% of your vote. That'll shut them up quick.

According to the CHA, the early residents of the Cabrini row houses were predominantly of Italian ancestry.[4] By 1962, however, a majority of residents in the completed complex were black. Crime and radical culture change drove whites from the complex over the following decade; by the 1970s, its population was almost entirely black.

Why don't they just go back to Africa?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 25, 2012 04:50AM
retdacted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2012 04:54AM by RgrF.
Date: August 25, 2012 10:58AM
He first has to get out from behind that chain link you have put them. I would put this piece on billboards in black neighborhoods if I were Romney,

" Rat and cockroach infestations were commonplace, rotting garbage stacked up in clogged trash chutes (it once piled up to the 15th floor), and basic utilities (water, electricity, etc.) often malfunctioned and were left unrepaired. On the exterior, boarded-up windows, burned-out areas of the facade, and pavement instead of green space—all in the name of economizing on maintenance—created an atmosphere of neglect and decay. The balconies were fenced in to prevent residents from emptying rubbish bins into the yard, from falling, and being thrown to their deaths (giving the visual appearance of a large prison tier, or animal cages, which further enraged community leaders)"
Posted by: August West
Date: August 25, 2012 11:05AM
I normally don't like seeing the troll quoted, but, in this case, letting him loudly and clearly expose his racism to all seems appropriate.
Date: August 25, 2012 11:10AM
Racists are your party bosses who have caged an entire generation. Get outta here.
Posted by: decay
Date: August 25, 2012 03:07PM
^

LOLWHUT?

Steve Jobs being likable is irrelevant. he was not elected, nor did he run for office.

Bush was likable to many, in his aw-shucks hillbilly put-on way.

He still took the USA into an unnecessary war that drained our resources and accomplished little.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: August 25, 2012 04:47PM
I don't think Obama is likable, he seems arrogant and fake.

I don't find Romney likable, he has too much money and I don't.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 25, 2012 08:14PM
In Georgia, it's pretty much de rigueur to not like Obama.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020