advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
@ $75
Posted by: Black
Date: September 30, 2012 03:38PM
Donation goes in tonight. Last chance to get a few more in there.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: @ $75
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 30, 2012 03:58PM
I donated $35 last night each to Obama, national dems, and state dems.
Posted by: gabester
Date: September 30, 2012 04:09PM
If you're donating to key races, don't forget to send some in to the lady running against idiot Akers in Missouri and to your nearest anti-tea party dem.
g=
Posted by: billb
Date: September 30, 2012 04:41PM
Trickle up baby, trickle up.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 30, 2012 06:27PM
I've given to a few but I no longer answer the phone.
Date: September 30, 2012 08:00PM
Frack-- Virtual Cards still offline at Citi site. No way I'm using my real CC number for this. No other option than credit card. Guess it will have to wait.

Posted by: lafinfil
Date: September 30, 2012 08:25PM
Black
Frack-- Virtual Cards still offline at Citi site. No way I'm using my real CC number for this. No other option than credit card. Guess it will have to wait.

I blame Geithner (add another $5)

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 30, 2012 08:42PM
You can also donate to the IRS if you like.
Date: September 30, 2012 09:00PM
lafinfil
Black

I blame Geithner (add another $5)

Incredibly frustrating time with Citi (first two phone reps could not speak English well enough to complete the communication-- unfortunately had to ask for a native English speaker and got a helpful person in Florida.) Turns out they're consolidating all their sites and my user had to be purged and recreated because the ID was two words with a space in between.
So I donated $50.... bummed that I missed the chance to enter to be flown out to wherever to hang with the prez, so I'm sitting on the last $25 for that next sweepstakes opportunity.

Posted by: prymsnap
Date: September 30, 2012 09:01PM
I've done a couple of small ones over the last few weeks.

This year is the first timenin my life I've donated money to a political campaign.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 30, 2012 09:22PM
i think all my political donations have been spent 2x on trying to get me to donate again.

Posted by: dad@home
Date: September 30, 2012 09:59PM
Obama a bunch

Heidi Heitkamp ND less than Barak

Joe Donnelly IN less than Barak

Shelley Berekley NV less than Barak

Dr. Rich Carmona AZ less than Barak

Dr. Syed Taj MI less than Barak

I guess I'm just into redistribution ;)

John

For some must watch, while some must sleep
So runs the world away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2012 10:10PM by dad@home.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: September 30, 2012 10:46PM
dad@home
Obama a bunch

John

john-

how did you determine your above list?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 30, 2012 10:48PM
dad@home

John

commie!

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: dad@home
Date: September 30, 2012 11:05PM
robfilms
dad@home
Obama a bunch

John

john-

how did you determine your above list?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

My 21 year old son (absolutely brilliant college dropout) is a poll geek. He knows about nearly every national race in detail and worships at the altar of Nate Silver who blogs at the NYT [fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com]. He is currently in Chicago volunteering at "team data" at the Obama campaign. He is so much smarter than me that when he says "send money here" I know its probably a good "bang for the buck".

John

For some must watch, while some must sleep
So runs the world away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2012 11:25PM by dad@home.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 01, 2012 02:58AM
I buy merchandise, all three grandsons are running around school expressing Grandpa's preferences.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: October 01, 2012 08:44AM
dad@home
Obama a bunch

John

Thanks for that one

Donnelly is running in a dead heat with Richard Mordock, who knocked Dick Lugar out in the primary. He had run hard to the right with massive out of state support from the TP's. His declared stance was that if the Senate did not go R then he would spend his term not compromising and traveling the country campaigning for more TP's. Now that he is in a tight race he is disavowing being a TP while traveling to speak at their events. Donnelly is a Blue Dog much like Evan Bayh, and has a good record on working across the aisle when a state legislator.

Posted by: Pam
Date: October 01, 2012 08:47AM
It really grates me that state contests can be influenced by outside money. These candidates are supposed to represent people in their district. Not people outside of their districts and certainly not out of state.
Date: October 01, 2012 09:08AM
Pam
It really grates me that state contests can be influenced by outside money. These candidates are supposed to represent people in their district. Not people outside of their districts and certainly not out of state.

Agree-- that's pretty messed up.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 01, 2012 10:27AM
dad@home
Obama a bunch

John

I'm not sure what you mean to say. That these Democratic candidates need funds and we should give to them instead of to the President's re-election campaign?

I do give to local and state candidates and to the state party, and occasionally to out of state races but not that often.
If small donors give to out of state candidates it does help offset the effects of say national superpacs like the Tea Party groups, freedom works, etc. Some of the "loonier" people we have in office now, such as Michele Bachmann, are products of that Tea Party national money, and so were quite a few of those Tea Party freshman from 2010.

Out of state money may be irksome but it's the reality of our system. Donations can come from Americans living outside the country too, of course.
Posted by: mick e
Date: October 01, 2012 07:44PM
mick e just gave $35 to Christine O'Donnell. She was standing by a freeway on-ramp, and she looked pretty hungry.

Unpaid Social Liaison
Posted by: davester
Date: October 01, 2012 07:50PM
Lemon Drop
Out of state money may be irksome but it's the reality of our system. Donations can come from Americans living outside the country too, of course.

I agree that this is irksome. In fact, I'd say that it's more than irksome, it's a complete corruption of the democratic process. The problem is that if you refuse to play the game then the Koch Bros and their ilk win.

The US has really gone downhill in the last few yearfs in terms o controls on campaign finance, especially with the Citizens United decision. Our system is now completely out of control and totally corrupt. Out of state money has massive influences not only on a state's federal legislators, but also on in-state issues (i.e. Prop 8 in California). We are turning into a banana republic.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 07:51PM by davester.
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: October 01, 2012 07:57PM
It's freedom of speech. No one can tell me what politician I may or may not support.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 01, 2012 08:31PM
These are boom times for the pearl-clutching industry.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 01, 2012 08:38PM
Gutenberg
It's freedom of speech. No one can tell me what politician I may or may not support.

Money is not speech. Corporations are not people.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 01, 2012 09:19PM
MONEY IS SPEECH

CORPORATIONS ARE PEOPLE

That's about as Orwellian as you can get.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 01, 2012 09:53PM
davester
Gutenberg

Money is not speech. Corporations are not people.
I believe she was addressing the "why can someone contribute to out-of-state races" topic.

Posted by: wave rider
Date: October 01, 2012 11:38PM
davester
[...snip...]

We are turning into a banana republic.

Soon, literally.

I wager it will get warm enough to grow the bananas domestically.

=wr=
Date: October 02, 2012 07:15AM
Contributing to a candidate is a form of speech and cannot be limited except by degree--so, for instance, campaign finance laws that limit the amount an individual may contribute in a cycle are constitutional. I agree that corporations are not people.

That was a bit of a knee-jerk response, boys. The subject requires a bit more thought than that.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 02, 2012 09:34AM
Gutenberg
Contributing to a candidate is a form of speech and cannot be limited except by degree--so, for instance, campaign finance laws that limit the amount an individual may contribute in a cycle are constitutional. I agree that corporations are not people.

Do you think that non-tax free contributions to an outfit like, say, the Sierra Club for purposes of funding their pro-environment but basically non-partisan advertising campaigns can also be limited by degree? If so, why? If not, why would speech in the form of giving money to the Sierra Club for advertising be different than giving money to a candidate for advertising to get elected?

What if a person is spending their own money to pay for advertising for a candidate - not directly affiliated with the candidates campaign, just making his own decisions about what he wants to pay to say in advertising to help the candidate? Should that spending also be limited by degree just like if the money was given directly to the candidate's campaign?
Date: October 02, 2012 10:17AM
Ted King
Do you think that non-tax free contributions to an outfit like, say, the Sierra Club for purposes of funding their pro-environment but basically non-partisan advertising campaigns can also be limited by degree? If so, why? If not, why would speech in the form of giving money to the Sierra Club for advertising be different than giving money to a candidate for advertising to get elected?

No. For one thing, the Sierra Club does not have a track record of corruption like individual politicians do. Campaign finance laws are partly a remedy for past performance. They are also written by the legislators themselves to maintain their incumbent advantage. For another, the Sierra Club is a 501 (c)3 and political campaigns are not.

Ted King
What if a person is spending their own money to pay for advertising for a candidate - not directly affiliated with the candidates campaign, just making his own decisions about what he wants to pay to say in advertising to help the candidate? Should that spending also be limited by degree just like if the money was given directly to the candidate's campaign?

That is free speech and can be freely given. However, most people decide to do that in the form of a letter to the editor because it's cheaper.

I do not support the Citizens United decision, and reasonable people who have read my posts over the last few years should be able to figure that out. I think it's sloppy to start yelling "Citizens United!" every time someone brings up campaign finance.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 02, 2012 11:17AM
Gutenberg
Campaign finance laws are...written by the legislators themselves to maintain their incumbent advantage.

Bingo

Fox guarding the henhouse
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 55
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020