advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Longtime Republicans torn between party loyalty and Obamacare
Posted by: hal
Date: October 07, 2012 03:36PM
A CNN story

As mentioned in the article, in 2008 healthcare was a "conceptual, theoretical issue", but in 2012 it's very "concrete and real".

I can't recall a single issue that so greatly affects voters as the possibility of losing Obamacare if the repubs win (and can actually do it). Some repubs with crystal clear pros and cons are seeing that they have to vote for Obama - their well being may depend on it.

Jill Thacker was dying for a cup of coffee when she recently ran into a 7-Eleven convenience store. To her pleasant surprise, the coffee was free -- as long as she would commit to drinking it in either a red Mitt Romney cup or a blue Barack Obama cup.

"Which are you going to choose, Mom?" her son asked.

Which, indeed. A gun-owning, big-government-hating Republican, Thacker's every instinct told her to buy a Romney cup. But Thacker, 56, and her daughter have asthma -- a pre-existing condition -- and with Obama as president they'll be guaranteed the ability to buy insurance.

snip

She thought about her insurance, which covers her only if "I get hit by a bus." It's the only insurance she can afford given her preexisting condition.

She thought about how she's still paying off a $22,000 emergency room bill from last year.

She thought about her 25-year-old daughter, who's on her father's insurance only because of Obamacare.

But she also thought about how, in many fundamental ways, she just doesn't like Obama.

Then she reached for the blue cup with Obama's name on it.

"I really do feel conflicted," she said. "But for me, it's all about health care. It's my number one thing."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Longtime Republicans torn between party loyalty and Obamacare
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 07, 2012 04:17PM
Same thing from an old friend of mine, long time Republican, but this year he says Obama, "I'm a single issue voter, Obama Care, preexisting conditions", due to his health problems.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 07, 2012 04:37PM
All religious conservatives should be supporting ACA for a similar reason. Free birth control has been shown to reduce abortions by up to 71%.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 07, 2012 05:26PM
Thanks for the link, hal. I'm sharing that article on FB. It's very interesting.

Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: October 07, 2012 05:51PM
Having been rooked by a licensed insurance company's high-deductible policy that turned out not to cover anything, (and having observed regulators refuse to prosecute the fraud in a tangled skien of pass-the-buck) I'm wary of the insurance exchanges and the opportunity for grift.

But the rest seems to be beneficial to the vast majority of Americans.

Too bad Congress was too chicken @#$%& to pass a solid universal healthcare law.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 07, 2012 06:13PM
When pressed, Romney promises to keep all the "good" parts...just eliminate the "bad" parts--the ones that pay for it. He did it in the debate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 07, 2012 10:20PM
Yes, a vote for Gov. Romney means you get all the good parts without any of the bad parts. It must be true or he wouldn't have said so.

Acer
When pressed, Romney promises to keep all the "good" parts...just eliminate the "bad" parts--the ones that pay for it. He did it in the debate.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 08, 2012 02:16PM
This Romney fella reminds me of that other President who decided to have a little war but said don't worry about how to pay for it and don't worry our guys and gals will be home in six months and there will be roses in the streets.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 11, 2012 02:11AM
Once passed an ACA will NEVER be rescinded, what will happen is those most effected will go all out to bend and shape it to their ends, Seems to me the GOP, as currently constituted, is in position to benefit from that windfall of dollars in they are ready and willing and ready to go to battle for the contributors of those dollars.

The sausage government turns out isn't much different than sausage big agriculture turns out; neither entity wants you to see the process up close for fear it might become personal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020