You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Christian Group Finds Gay Agenda in an Anti-Bullying Day
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 15, 2012 01:23PM
[www.nytimes.com]

also here:

[www.staradvertiser.com]

' By KIM SEVERSON
On Mix It Up at Lunch Day, schoolchildren around the country are encouraged to hang out with someone they normally might not speak to.
The program, started 11 years ago by the Southern Poverty Law Center and now in more than 2,500 schools, was intended as a way to break up cliques and prevent bullying.
But this year, the American Family Association, a conservative evangelical group, has called the project “a nationwide push to promote the homosexual lifestyle in public schools” and is urging parents to keep their children home from school on Oct. 30, the day most of the schools plan to participate this year.
The charges, raised in an e-mail to supporters earlier this month, have caused a handful of schools to cancel this year’s event and has caught organizers off guard.
“I was surprised that they completely lied about what Mix It Up Day is,” said Maureen Costello, the director of the center’s Teaching Tolerance project, which organizes the program. “It was a cynical, fear-mongering tactic.”
The swirl around Mix It Up at Lunch Day reflects a deeper battle between the Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil-rights group founded 41 years ago in Montgomery, Ala., and the American Family Association, a Bible-based cultural watchdog organization in Tupelo, Miss. The association says its mission is to fight what it calls the “increasing ungodliness” in America.
The law center recently added the group to its national list of active hate groups, which also includes neo-Nazis, black separatists and Holocaust deniers.
Association leaders, in return, have gone on the offensive, calling the law center a hate group for oppressing Christian students and claiming its aim is to shut down groups that oppose homosexuality.
“The reality is we are not a hate group. We are a truth group,” said Bryan Fischer, director of issue analysis for the association. “We tell the truth about homosexual behavior.”
Although the suggested activities for Mix It Up at Lunch Day do not expressly address gay and lesbian students, the law center itself promotes equal treatment for gays and lesbians and that philosophy then informs the school program, he said.
“Anti-bullying legislation is exactly the same,” Mr. Fischer said. “It’s just another thinly veiled attempt to promote the homosexual agenda. No one is in favor of anyone getting bullied for any reason, but these anti-bullying policies become a mechanism for punishing Christian students who believe that homosexual behavior is not something that should be normalized.” '
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Christian Group Finds Gay Agenda in an Anti-Bullying Day
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 15, 2012 01:26PM
Yeah, dammit, if my kid wants to beat the crap out of a gay guy, how dare the school system intervene?

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 15, 2012 01:37PM
Can every "Christian" group that preaches intolerance please be referred to as "self-styled but actually not Christian" ? Christ would toss them ALL out of the temple.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 15, 2012 01:43PM
cbelt3
Can every "Christian" group that preaches intolerance please be referred to as "self-styled but actually not Christian" ? Christ would toss them ALL out of the temple.

I think that, according to your argument below, "self-identified" Christians make this a discussion about Christianity, and implicate Christ in their intolerance. Right?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 15, 2012 01:43PM
cbelt3

I think that, according to your argument below, "self-identified" Christians make this a discussion about Christianity, and implicate Christ in their intolerance. Right?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: decay
Date: October 15, 2012 01:49PM
cbelt3

amen!!

---
Date: October 15, 2012 01:50PM
I'm perfectly willing to admit to being inconsistent and non-ideological. big grin smiley
Posted by: Manlove
Date: October 15, 2012 01:53PM
cbelt3
I'm perfectly willing to admit to being inconsistent and non-ideological. big grin smiley

Like your Dear Leader ...grinning smileyconfused smileymoody smiley

(a weak joke)
Date: October 15, 2012 02:04PM
I Object ! Steve Jobs was VERY consistent ! ( He was the only person I ever referred to as Dear Leader ) big grin smiley

Seriously, back to the OP...

1- Fie on these 'groups' for being stupid.
2- Fee Fo AND FUM on the Schools for buying INTO that stupidity ! Bullying is a potentially FATAL crime, as my adult children can and will tell you, after burying three of their friends to bullying-induced suicides in 1 year's time.

I get VERY angry villagers smiley soapbox smiley censored smiley cursing smiley when anyone suggests that anti-bullying programs are a 'waste'.
Posted by: decay
Date: October 15, 2012 03:24PM
i'm not gay, but i was wimpy as a boy, and i was picked on a lot, perhaps even bullied. i didn't follow sports or exhibit typical male competetive behavior. i was (and am) artistic and sensitive.

fortunately i had a good family & support system, and never felt the urge to commit suicide. i had some rough days, though ... let me tell ya.

---
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 15, 2012 05:04PM
The AFA sees sexually-charged agendas in every shadow. You just KNOW the CEO must have a hard drive full of pr*n.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 16, 2012 04:17AM
cbelt3
I Object ! Steve Jobs was VERY consistent ! ( He was the only person I ever referred to as Dear Leader ) big grin smiley

Seriously, back to the OP...

1- Fie on these 'groups' for being stupid.
2- Fee Fo AND FUM on the Schools for buying INTO that stupidity ! Bullying is a potentially FATAL crime, as my adult children can and will tell you, after burying three of their friends to bullying-induced suicides in 1 year's time.

I get VERY angry villagers smiley soapbox smiley censored smiley cursing smiley when anyone suggests that anti-bullying programs are a 'waste'.

So you'll be consistant when it suits you to be?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020