advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
how do I donate, but don't give out my phone number?
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 15, 2012 09:12PM
I want to make a small donation, but the form will not let me go to the next screen unless I type in a phone number. I don't want them calling me. I want to give them my hard earned money and I want to continue to enjoy my privacy. I don't want their phone calls.

I ven tried 000-000-0000 and went to the next step, entered CC #, but final step failed, took me back to correct the errors. any way to donate without a phone?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how do I donate, but don't give out my phone number?
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: October 15, 2012 10:37PM
You're giving them your name and address for the CC verification.

From that, they have your phone number... and social security and drivers license numbers... and blood type and sexual preferences...

And they've sold your info to a thousand others before you clicked the "submit" button.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 15, 2012 10:46PM
People worry about the darnedest things. Every time you use a grocery store card or a gas card or a Groupon or subscribe to a magazine you are giving away your information to marketing people. Why worry about this particular instance?

I've worked in advertising a loooong time and we used to be able to buy very specific lists before there even WAS an internet. They'll get you wherever you're hid.

The concern about being called is valid, however. I don't get those calls since giving up my land line, and the emails go to my very old aol account which I use for "requested spam" so to speak.

I'm not sure what the solution would be, since I just use my old land line number. Somewhere somebody is cursing the Democrats and wondering why they keep pestering them, I suppose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 10:47PM by $tevie.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 15, 2012 11:22PM
If it is a campaign, they need some way to identify that you were not one person giving $100 tens of thousands of times. Buy a prepaid phone and send them all the money on the card you get with it, then donate the phone to some organization that wants them.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 16, 2012 12:52AM
222-222-2222
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: October 16, 2012 12:56AM
I always use 1-800-555-1212 if I don't already have a dead number set up.
I use a fake name and number at the grocery store check out to get their discounts, too. I'm only paranoid sometimes lol!
Posted by: Black
Date: October 16, 2012 01:23AM
I donated to the Obama campaign and had the same reservation but have not been called.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 16, 2012 02:25AM
If you're that concerned just buy merchandise from the campaign store of whichever candidate you want to support. They get the money and you get to wear your support.
Posted by: Spock
Date: October 16, 2012 06:20AM
RgrF
If you're that concerned just buy merchandise from the campaign store of whichever candidate you want to support. They get the money and you get to wear your support.

Both campaigns sell magic underwear? Who knew.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 16, 2012 09:14AM
000-000-0000 is obviously not a real number. give them a real fake number. reverse or alter digits of your actual phone number. i used to do this when cashier's asked for a phone number and i didn't feel like arguing with them.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: mick e
Date: October 16, 2012 10:00AM
Don't just give a random made-up number - that means someone else will get the robocalls. As suggested - use the hollywood number (555 prefix).

Unpaid Social Liaison

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 10:00AM by mick e.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 17, 2012 09:26PM
I've donated dozens of time this cycle and the only phone requests were from the other party. But I have gotten a ton of email since donating. All have unsubscribe features that seem to work.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020