advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Romney's son owns voting machine company, so Ohio's Elections are Rigged".... FALSE
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 24, 2012 06:51AM
[www.snopes.com]

I'm SO tired of the old meme of 'stolen elections' yadda yadda yadda. I know Ohio's not perfect, but Democratic Party operatives spreading false stories to make up some 'excuse' for potentially losing Ohio is... defeatist.

Democrat biased urban area election boards are also heavily Democrat. What makes you think YOUR party operatives would participate in such a process ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Romney's son owns voting machine company, so Ohio's Elections are Rigged".... FALSE
Posted by: mick e
Date: October 24, 2012 07:25AM
Whether he owns a stake or not - the creation of a company that invests money in investing in money for the purpose of investing in money is not a world that mick e can ever hope to understand.

Unpaid Social Liaison
Re: "Romney's son owns voting machine company, so Ohio's Elections are Rigged".... FALSE
Date: October 24, 2012 07:37AM
mick- me either. Which is why neither of us is rich. The big bucks go go the guys who understand the underlying flow of money in the ecosystem, and can dip straws in and suck out what they want. I'm a manufacturing guy... Building stuff adds value. "Virtual" goods ? Blech.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 07:39AM by cbelt3.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 24, 2012 07:39AM
sorry, but it's already printed in the leftwing Giant Book of Excuses.
Date: October 24, 2012 07:53AM
billb-
Darn. Well, the rightwing book of excuses is pretty small.

"The Left Wing Media Did It".
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: October 24, 2012 08:48AM
I think it's likely the last paragraph that has some concerned even if Tagg doesn't have the direct connection that had been floated originally.

"It is true that H.I.G. Capital's co-founder, Anthony Tamer, and several of H.I.G.'s managing directors once worked at Bain & Company (whose CEO was Mitt Romney); Anthony Tamer and his wife are major donors to the Romney campaign; and H.I.G. Capital is the sixth-largest financial contributor to Romney fundraising committees; and it is true that Tagg Romney's firm, Solamere, has investments in other H.I.G. funds that are run by partners who are former Romney colleagues and current Romney fundraisers and who also manage the fund invested in Hart Intercivic. That close a connection between the Romney family, Romney campaign contributors, and a voting machine company might raise some eyebrows, but it doesn't establish any direct ownership link between Tagg Romney and Hart Intercivic."
Posted by: rankandfile
Date: October 24, 2012 12:34PM
Direct or not, it shouldn't be dismissed lightly, regardless of the political affiliation of the business that owns the machines.

Consider this:

Suppose I manufactured the ballot boxes that were used in elections all over the country. People vote by putting their marked ballots in the box that has a lock that only I can open. I am the only one who is allowed to see and to count the ballots inside the box. There is no audit process possible because my ballot box design is proprietary and all ballots are aggregated and the ballots themselves are destroyed. I tell you what the outcome is.

Then it is revealed that I am a large contributor to one of the main candidates in the election.

That's a rough analogy of what will happen on election day to tens of millions of votes; not just in Ohio.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 25, 2012 04:54AM
I guess the lesson here is the dictum of "Caesar's Wife" has no application to current day politics, too, bad it should.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 25, 2012 08:55PM
rankandfile
Direct or not, it shouldn't be dismissed lightly, regardless of the political affiliation of the business that owns the machines.

Consider this:

Suppose I manufactured the ballot boxes that were used in elections all over the country. People vote by putting their marked ballots in the box that has a lock that only I can open. I am the only one who is allowed to see and to count the ballots inside the box. There is no audit process possible because my ballot box design is proprietary and all ballots are aggregated and the ballots themselves are destroyed. I tell you what the outcome is.

Then it is revealed that I am a large contributor to one of the main candidates in the election.

That's a rough analogy of what will happen on election day to tens of millions of votes; not just in Ohio.

you need to read the snopes link to understand why this isn't possible...
Posted by: rankandfile
Date: October 26, 2012 02:53PM
hal,

Would appreciate the link. I respect Snopes, but I know the machines can be hacked or otherwise subverted.

As for "not possible", it happened in 2004 in Ohio. During the bogus national security emergency, over 300,000 votes were shifted by routing the count through RNC servers in Tennessee. Voting anomalies happen all over the country with voting machines.

Speaking just about SC, we have no way to audit our voting machines.

In SC in 2010, over 100,000 votes went missing, including a substantial number from the home county of the Democratic candidate for governor.

Among numerous examples, the Argonne National Lab has demonstrated several hacks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020