advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Paul Ryan's infinite loop
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 13, 2013 11:35AM
His "Path to Prosperity" is essentially the same rocky trail we have rejected before.

[www.newrepublic.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Paul Ryan's infinite loop
Posted by: Ted King
Date: March 13, 2013 12:40PM
To the extent that the author goes over the evidence that Ryan's budget this year is much like Ryan's budgets in previous years - especially in terms of there being no new revenues and the deep cuts that are made are focused on programs to aid the poor - I agree with him.

But I'm not much of a fan of the thesis that Ryan has "learned nothing from his loss". Ryan did lose as a VP candidate, but he won as a congressman with those same stances and he is now acting as a congressman.

I think a more compelling thesis is one where you look to match Ryan's rhetoric with what he does in his budget. He says wants to get completely get rid of Obamacare but he banks the increased revenues raised by Obamacare in his budget. His budget also includes the revenues from the fiscal cliff resolution (where people making something like $450,000 or more got about a 3% increase in income tax rate). These two big things make a difference of between $1 to $1.5 trillion dollars to the budget (over ten years), yet, they are both contrary to the rhetoric that Ryan has been using.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 12:46PM by Ted King.
Posted by: decay
Date: March 13, 2013 01:24PM

---
Posted by: Ted King
Date: March 13, 2013 02:29PM
Dang, I knew I was forgetting something in my post about Ryan's budget not matching his rhetoric - that Ryan kept the greater than $700 billion cuts in Medicare that Republicans have been clobbering the Democrats over since the 2010 elections. The Republicans cynically cudgeled the Democrats with those cuts (after a long and belligerent history of demanding that Democrats must reduce entitlement spending - and then when the Democrats do what they want, they used those cuts against Democrats), but Ryan keeps them in his budget. That's like cynicism squared.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 02:30PM by Ted King.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 13, 2013 03:56PM
What's amazing is that the GOP is still letting him lead them around by the nose, when he's been proven to NOT be the financial/math whiz which he was reputed to be. These guys still have zero interest in coming to any agreements with the White House.

Posted by: gabester
Date: March 14, 2013 08:17AM
Have you seen how much wealth the 1% have? Of COURSE the GOP - backed by the most cynical amongst those wealthy - have zero interest in coming to agreement with the White House. It's in the interest of the 1% to bankrupt the United States Federal Government because it's the only entity in the world with enough power to curb their unbridled wealth acquisition. That's what they're truly scared of, that We The People will wake up and realize how much of a shaft they're giving us and the rest of the globe and we'll finally set it right.

In the meanwhile the GOP strategy of delay, dodge, and deny anything they can that serves a progressive agenda buys them a little more time. They're just waiting for us to bankrupt ourselves so they can complete their leveraged buyout and take away the Bill of Rights as it pertains to human beings, ensuring those protections ONLY apply to corporations.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 14, 2013 08:00PM
They have always had that agenda. It's just that now, we have a surplus of absolute idiots who continue to vote for people who allow and encourage it to happen. I can understand them being so ignorant that they vote that way in the beginning, but after over 12 years of it happening under their noses, you would think the voters would be wise to it. Not a chance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020