Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Judge Overturns Permint, No Mansion for Steve Jobs
Posted by: spearmint
Date: January 05, 2006 12:52PM
In a reversal of an ealier permit Jobs has been blocked from his dream home:
[www.mercurynews.com]

You accomplish everything and they will not lot you build on your own property. Snobs.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Judge Overturns Permint, No Mansion for Steve Jobs
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: January 05, 2006 04:30PM
Pics of the house:
[www.friendsofthejacklinghouse.org]

Too bad it got run down, but if the preservationists are really sincere why not raze the house and return the site to its original designer's plan?

Reminds me of a friend who was raving to an Iranian about ghost towns preserved in the dry Southwest: "There's a lot of history there."

Then it struck him that he was talking to someone from Persia.

Historical significance is in the reference point of the viewer. Perhaps if the city fathers were aware of the potential tourism revenue forthcoming in future years from pilgrims coming to view "the house Steve Jobs built" they might be able to swallow this.
Date: January 05, 2006 04:34PM
15,000 square ft. is a lot of space. You would think his neighbors would like a smaller place which he wants to buid.

Da Good Life
Posted by: MikeF
Date: January 05, 2006 04:39PM
In the city I live, years back there was a case where someone put their neighbor's house on the historical list without the owner of the house knowing about it.

The owner didn't find out until he went to the city for some remodeling plans and couldn't get them approved.

I think the owner ended up selling the property because there was no way to "de-list" the property even though he wasn't the one who asked it to be listed.

Nice neighbor...
Posted by: WJK
Date: January 05, 2006 06:19PM
In 1969-70 the City of Sacramento, CA, designated many Victorians, virtually all, to be historic structures. There were 90 unexplained fires in Victorians in two weeks thereafter. Many vacant lots sprouted, many shingled four and eight plex apartments replaced them.

At the time, banks would not make loans on Victorians due to their low value and brick foundations(the latter being how the "explained" their refusal). The one brick foundation I replaced had an eight by eight inch clear heart Redwood perimeter beam and a thirteen courses with three foot wide base course. The old lime mortar was sintering out above ground, but intact below. The thirty-five foot floor joists were also clear heart Redwood.

In 1974 when Real Estate (there's nothing "Real" in Real estate, by the way) values went through the roof, all those yo-yos who had burned them down must have been bootin' themselves in the butt. IE-$12,500 in 1968, $25,000 in 1972, $75,000 in 1974, $135,000 in 1978, etc.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: January 05, 2006 07:59PM
Is a "permint" a genetically modified variant of the spearmint? Or just a lower form of varmint?
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 06, 2006 06:37AM
BURN it down
Date: January 06, 2006 09:15PM
Permint is a new word I made up, but to tell the truth I cannot type worth a dmn.

Da Good Life
Posted by: malfunction
Date: January 07, 2006 02:31AM
Cue the violins for poor Steve.
Like he can't afford another lot?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 08, 2006 04:16AM
Looks like it's time for a little bit more vandalism, I'm sure some pyro will burn it down eventually.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 08, 2006 05:32AM
C(-)ris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like it's time for a little bit more
> vandalism, I'm sure some pyro will burn it down
> eventually.
That surety comes from where?

Someone has told you this?

Are you an anarchist?

Maybe just being a fool isn't enough for you?

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 08, 2006 11:19AM
Geez---They can seize your house with eminent domain just to increase the taxes--and you can't build on your own property.

This is not how the founding fathers envisioned things.

Hmm--if the house is proclaimed Historic---can they still seize it with eminent domain.
Date: January 08, 2006 11:26AM
If the concerned neighbors want it as is let them buy it at a fair value and turn it into a museum. Jobs did not buy it for their benefit. For gosh sake he wants to build a smaller house they should be happy for and after this the concerned citizens are not going to be allowed close enough to take pictures much less visit.

Steve does have a temper.

Da Good Life
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 402
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020