Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Somalia the real danger . . .
Posted by: haikuman
Date: August 16, 2013 04:57PM
Polio in Somalia: UN warns of 'explosive' outbreak
[www.bbc.co.uk]

The UN has warned of a severe outbreak of polio in Somalia, days after a medical charity pulled out of the country, citing insecurity.

At least 105 cases of polio have been recorded in Somalia this year - almost half the number of cases around the world in 2012.

The World Health Organization is trying to eradicate polio and the number of cases has fallen dramatically.

Most of the Somali cases are in areas controlled by Islamist group al-Shabab.

Polio is now only considered endemic in three countries - Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan.

Somalia was declared polio-free six years ago and some four million people have been vaccinated.

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 05:05PM by haikuman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Somalia the real danger . . .
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: August 16, 2013 09:30PM
It's curious, but there is an organized anti-vaccination movement here in the US, in Britain, and in Europe. It seems to have begun (or escalated) when a jerk named Andrew Wakefield published a paper attempting to connect vaccination with autism in children. The connection has been disproved definitively many times since then, but for parents of severely autistic children, it's intensely emotional, and some of them don't accept that the initial question has been answered. Wakefield was stripped of his medical license in Britain when it was revealed that he had engaged in unethical practices as part of his initial study.

The result of this scare is that a generation grew up in Britain with a large number of unvaccinated children (at least for measles, mumps, and rubella) and it has come back to haunt them in the form of a measles epidemic this year which has resulted in at least one death so far. Measles was common for those of us of a certain age, but it can be lethal (luckily it's uncommon) and can have other nasty side effects.

The polio resurgence in Africa is really unfortunate to say the least, and the resistance to vaccination based on political and/or religious grounds is frustrating.

Interestingly, the Gates family foundation has devoted a lot of resources to fighting disease and getting people vaccinated. I'll criticize Bill for all those unprotected buffer overflow possibilities, but I give him credit for this.

One of the deep thinkers who has supported the anti-vaccination position is none other than the new member of The View, Jenny McCarthy. There was a bit of a firestorm in the public health community when her appointment was made public.
Posted by: p8712
Date: August 17, 2013 10:17AM
Thanks Jenny!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 17, 2013 12:02PM
There is also a large Islamist push against vaccination as done kind of US plot. Made worse by our use of an immunization program to find Bin Laden.

Net result ? Think of it as evolution in action.
Posted by: max
Date: August 17, 2013 03:26PM
True dat, there is nothing special about Somalia when it comes to polio.

As cbelt noted, many fundamentalist and backward Moslem areas are facing the rise of polio outbreaks.
Pakistan is an excellent example.

Now, how about that world threatening corruption scourge in Somalia that we were promised?....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Date: August 17, 2013 03:56PM
max
True dat, there is nothing special about Somalia when it comes to polio.

As cbelt noted, many fundamentalist and backward Moslem areas are facing the rise of polio outbreaks.
Pakistan is an excellent example.

Now, how about that world threatening corruption scourge in Somalia that we were promised?....

Once again your distortion of the facts and truth prevails max . . .

At least 105 cases of polio have been recorded in Somalia this year - almost half the number of cases around the world in 2012.

The World Health Organization is trying to eradicate polio and the number of cases has fallen dramatically.

Most of the Somali cases are in areas controlled by Islamist group al-Shabab.

Polio is now only considered endemic in three countries - Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan.

"It's very worrying because it's an explosive outbreak and of course polio is a disease that is slated for eradication," said WHO spokesman Oliver Rosenbauer, according to the AP news agency.

Another 10 cases have been recorded in north-eastern Kenya, where about half a million Somalis have fled.

Just 223 cases of polio were recorded globally in 2012 - down from 350,000 in 1988.

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2013 04:08PM by haikuman.
Date: August 17, 2013 06:11PM
I understand that was a big news for YOU, methinksman
Or was it that you needed to post something, anything about Somalia, because I did, and that was the only thing you could find that I have not mentioned already.

Talk about your flaming ignorance and your pathetic, desperate need to be something, anything more than the lonely, loser stuck in a third world country pigsty...

We are still waiting for your dissertation about that world threatening corruption scourge in Somalia that we were promised?....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
Date: August 17, 2013 08:41PM
You are l@@king good max we loves the way you spin smiley-laughing001

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 18, 2013 09:26AM
Disappointed to see the BBC use the neologism "Islamist."

I expect that from the ToryGraph but not from the BBC.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 18, 2013 10:31AM
This is actually max's idea of a utopian state of existence. His idea of a compliment. An ideal he wants for all of us, he and his ilk.

max
Talk about your flaming ignorance and your pathetic, desperate need to be something, anything more than the lonely, loser stuck in a third world country pigsty....

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 19, 2013 01:34PM
What is my ilk, Speedy, tell us....

Date: August 19, 2013 02:10PM
max

Try insulting, ranting ,unethical, moron and distortion bot, that only met the truth
in a book or a web page max . . . any questions ?

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 19, 2013 02:38PM
max

The rich. Or those easily manipulated by the rich like the baggers.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 19, 2013 04:44PM
Speedy
max

The rich. Or those easily manipulated by the rich like the baggers.
So you think I am rich?
How did you come up with this gem?
Is money that important to you that mamona is your only measure if success?
What is "baggers" in your world Speedy?

When it comes to manipulation you seem to be the easy one, you did vote for Obama twice
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020