advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
GOP leaders knew of Foley e-mail in '05, Foley Resigns
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 01, 2006 12:09PM
Another pervert goes down, sorry bad choice of words. Bet he comes out smelling like a rose.

[www.chron.com]

Quote from Foley, "We track library books better than we do sexual predators". They know it and that's how he and others like him get away with it.

Anyone see the Dateline sting operation last week?

[www.msnbc.msn.com]

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
I'm mad as Hell and I'm not gonna take it any more
Posted by: BCam
Date: October 01, 2006 02:47PM
This story is a potential disaster for Hastert et al in the House.

For once, the victim is not some faceless child somewhere "out there" in the country. The Congressmen and Women know and work with these kids. They know their names. They know their parents. It's Personal this time.

And for Hastert and his political minions to know about Foley's behavior and to stand silently by to knowingly allow more sexual abuse of children is utterly unforgivable. I don't care what Party you are in, its child abuse.

And that, even in this Bush era of black is white and lies are truth, is legally and morally wrong. My God, if primary and secondary school emplyees and medical professionals even SUSPECT child abuse, they are required by Law to report it.

I'm speaking as a parent. And every Member of the House, or either party, who knew and kept silent in the name of holding on to or desiring political power, should resign forthwith, be run out of public life on a rail and face criminal prosecution.

And not later. Not after the elections. Now.
Re: GOP leaders knew of Foley e-mail in '05, Foley Resigns
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: October 01, 2006 03:07PM
Calling this incident child abuse is pushing it.

It was inappropriate behavior, and those emails went to a person who was legally of age in the district. Which the GOP will try to spin into some kind of defense of those involved while trying to cast doubt on the whole incident - and attempting to create a smear of the Dems in the process to deflect attention away from it.

But that doesn't make the actions of Foley and Co. any less despicable. A scumbag is a scumbag is a scumbag.

The actions or lack therof of the folks who knew about it but did nothing but dismiss or try to cover it up should also be held in equal contempt for their actions as well.

This whole incident smells, and as the hypocrisy of this administration grows everyday, there isn't enough perfume in the world to cover it.

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

We must train our minds to desire what the situation demands.
Date: October 01, 2006 03:36PM
Just noticed that Brit Hume on Fox today compared the Foley situation to that of Bill Clinton and Monica. It seems the Fox Anchor has a porblem with a potential IMMORAL act and and an ILLEGAL one.

view clip here:
[thinkprogress.org]

A reader named Linda Reeves left the following comment, which I thought shoukld be included in its entirety:

"Britt Hume needs to stay focused in the present. President Clinton is the past, and we are talking about a young woman who knew exactly what she was doing. She is doing quite well, and the attention has not hurt her or her career and she was no virgin at the time.

Britt Hume needs to be concerned about Mark Foley, a latent homosexual, predator, and of boys!! O my God, this flies in the face what Republicans stand for, eh?? Children? Monica Lewinsky was young but no child. And Reynolds knew? But the parents didn’t want to press the matter? How about the other potential young victims out there? Eh? What if it was your kid, do you have kids?

Hey Britt, focus on the here and now and don’t confuse the issues for the seemingly ignorant people you think are out here. Stop justifying and start putting the blame and actions where they lie, at the doorstep of a mature, intelligent but sick man, he of the high and mighty Republican party.

And by the way, what war did you serve in? I watch your show, sometimes I agree or disagree, but the tongue lashing President Clinton gave Chris last week was well deserved. Are you all that stupid to bait one of the most intelligent and brilliant politicians alive today??
This guy is smarter than you and he made Chris look like an ass!! Now you are starting to do the same thing. I would love to see you “try” to take on Mr. Clinton one on one. But, methinks you’re too chicken and not smart enough. You are a reader of the news, President Clinton is a maker of news. Without people like him, you would not have a job.

You have no guts and have forgotten to get to the heart of the story, even as a sometimes Republican, I would vote for Clinton again in a heartbeat and I am a woman. He made the show come alive, his lines were not rehearsed and he wasn’t reading anything, he was passionate and brilliant and exciting. If all you can do is try to still go after him after last week and not focus on the Foley matter, you are not a hardhitting reporter, you have settled behind your cushy desk and read the news. In the real world, you’d be floundering around like Tony Snow still is doing no matter what the press people say, “he sucks” is what I say and he is about as manly as my toe. God what a disappointment!!! I tend to think you would do just as badly, Oh, and please tell Moira that whoever dyes her hair does a baaaaaaaaaaad
job of it, I can usually see her gray roots, and going lighter would make
her look younger. She is a beautiful woman, and you need to lose some weight. You are getting a bit fat!!

Oh and #23, a 16 yr old is not of legal age in this country, to vote or go to war, so he is still a minor and it is pedophilia not homosexuality, especially from a mature adult Congressman; if these two people were of the same age then homosexuality it is, and I for one have friends and family who are homosexuals not pedofiles. There is a big difference you dolt!"

Linda Reeves
Date: October 01, 2006 09:31PM
Typical Fox, not only distort, but be as far from the truth as possible.

"a 16 yr old is not of legal age in this country, to vote or go to war, so he is still a minor and it is pedophilia not homosexuality"

Hmmm, not quite, actually, the age of consent is 16 in D.C.

The age of consent in Hawaii was 14 until only recently. Now it is also 16, as are more than a few states.

Strength without compassion is brutality. Compassion without strength is weakness.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 02, 2006 11:54AM
Eff, well, legally you're not completely right.
Washington DC Official Code
[weblinks.westlaw.com]

§ 22-3001. Definitions.
(3) "Child" means a person who has not yet attained the age of 16 years.

However, the "Age of Consent" is NOT the age at which children stop being 'jailbait'. The key here is "4 years older than a child... and the victim was under the age of 18 and the actor had a significant relationship with the victim."
Foley is up for "Enticement" at the least. And I hope they throw the book at the short-eyed bastard.

§ 22-3008. First degree child sexual abuse.

Whoever, being at least 4 years older than a child, engages in a sexual act with that child or causes that child to engage in a sexual act shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life and, in addition, may be fined an amount not to exceed $250,000. However, the court may impose a prison sentence in excess of 30 years only in accordance with § 22-3020 or § 24-403.01(b-2). For purposes of imprisonment following revocation of release authorized by § 24-403.01(b)(7), the offense defined by this section is a Class A felony.

§ 22-3010. Enticing a child.
Whoever, being at least 4 years older than a child, takes that child to any place, or entices, allures, or persuades a child to go to any place for the purpose of committing any offense set forth in §§ 22-3002 to 22-3006 and §§ 22-3008 and 22-3009 shall be imprisoned for not more than 5 years and, in addition, may be fined in an amount not to exceed $50,000.

§ 22-3020. Aggravating circumstances.

(a) Any person who is found guilty of an offense under this subchapter may receive a penalty up to 1 1/2 times the maximum penalty prescribed for the particular offense, and may receive a sentence of more than 30 years up to, and including life imprisonment without possibility of release for first degree sexual abuse or first degree child sexual abuse, if any of the following aggravating circumstances exists:

(1) The victim was under the age of 12 years at the time of the offense;

(2) The victim was under the age of 18 years at the time of the offense and the actor had a significant relationship to the victim;
Date: October 02, 2006 01:33PM
True, the better part of this is the law that "Fooley" co-sponsored making such actions with anyone under 18 on the internet a felony.

Now he is entering rehab for supposed alcohol problems, the hypocrisy gets better and better!

This scumbag will be held up as a major example as he should be. Look for him to get the max thay can get on him.

Even GOP members are calling for an open and unlimited investigation.

Posted by: incognegro
Date: October 02, 2006 02:06PM
the Catholic priests are glad for a day when this kind of news doesn't involve one of them.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 02, 2006 07:56PM
Most interesting that although these IM's have been known for 2 years, the media chooses to push the story just weeks before elections... The Republicans are not defending this man; in fact, they want Foley out of there. The Dems just can't convince the public they're a better choice come November so they have to resort to this chicanery. I will almost guarantee Clinton, et al, are responsible for this "leak" in retaliation for the Fox interview and because they have nothing better to offer than the Republicans.
Date: October 02, 2006 08:37PM
Been known for years by who?

As of today, the only folks in the lop were the GOP from what I have read and heard.

It would definitely be interesting if the media or the dems had proof of this last year amd did nothing.

I suspect that even if they had any inkling of this, it was smothered by the GOP in hopes of it never coming to light as has seemingly been the case so far.

Date: October 02, 2006 10:27PM
What I find interesting is that the GOP HGouse leadership has establlished their position as: "we talked to him sternly about this some time ago, and we thought it was taken care of".

OK - WHAT else, and WHO else have they assumed were "taken care of" in the last two years? That's the really ugly thing here. The GOP leadership was indeed more interested in maintaining political power, rather than protecting the kids they use as House Pages. How do we know this?

Rep. Reynolds (R-NY) is the Chairman of the Page Committee in the House. At no time, until last Friday at 6PM DC time, was the ranking DEMOCRAT on the committee made aware that there was any problem whatsoever with Foley and Pages.

Now if the problem was indeed "taken care of" many months ago, why is it then that the ranking Democrat on the Committee responsible for matters concerning Pages was never mader aware that A: there was a problem at all, and B: that Congressman Foley had been "taken care of"?

The House leadership can call for investigation upon investigation, but the obvious truth of the matter is that their day-to-day methodology in running the House is geared to protecting GOP members, not the People they serve, and obviously not the Children they are personally responsible for.

That is why the Republicans are so terrified of the ugly backlash quickly building in the country at large. Yes, as far as we know, only one member of the House was trolling for kids online, but the many memebers of the power elite in the Republican Party chose to act in their best interests, and not the victim's.

To paraphrase President Andy Shepherd from the film "The American President", the GOP was too busy keeping their job to actually DO their job. In about 5 weeks, a lot of them will be out of a job, and George W. Bush had better plan to hire a whole posse of impeachment lawyers.
Date: October 02, 2006 10:43PM
I agree, but remember, there can, and I predict will be, a record number of pardons handed out at the conclusion of this presidency.

It's a long standing presidential tradition.

Date: October 02, 2006 11:30PM
And who do you assume will actually BE the President at the end of GWB's second term?
Date: October 03, 2006 12:52PM
BCam
And who do you assume will actually BE the President at the end of GWB's second term?

What would that have to do with anything?

Date: October 03, 2006 10:28PM
What would Presidential Pardons have to do with anything?

If both Cheney and Bush are impeached, the next Speaker of the House would be third in line to become the President. If things keep heading the way they are right now in Washington, that could well be Democrat Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi from San Francisco.

Do you see her handing out a lot of Pardons??
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 04, 2006 11:46AM
I assumed that Effin was referring to W pardoning all these crooks and liars at the end of his term, a la Bill Clinton (whom I still love dearly but facts is facts).

Date: October 04, 2006 12:15PM
Whoever is President will be making planty of pardons for their party members.

It will be the same as when Ford was brought in and immediately pardoned Nixon.

The President can issue a pardon anytme during their reign they want to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2006 12:16PM by Effin Haole.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020