advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Panama Papers nets its first political victim - Iceland's PM resigns.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 05, 2016 10:59AM
[www.cnn.com]

"Icelandic Prime Minister Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson has resigned, the deputy chair of Iceland's Progressive Party said Tuesday."

Many more to come. Having REAL transparency of the personal finances of political leaders ... wow.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Panama Papers nets its first political victim - Iceland's PM resigns.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 05, 2016 11:12AM
All the players including the facilitating banks and lawyers will hopefully take a big hit for what is nothing more than money washing by the rich.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 05, 2016 11:22AM
Despite your fondest hopes, bill, I doubt the world financial community will just walk away when there are hundreds of billions of dollars (Trillions?) in stolen money to be hidden and laundered at a vast profit.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 05, 2016 12:22PM
"Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson"

Now there's a name I'd love to see on a ballot, or better yet in a debate. Just to hear the others try to pronounce it would make it worthwhile

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: davester
Date: April 05, 2016 12:42PM
When he announced (yesterday I think) that he was not resigning and had no intention of resigning I had the funny feeling that he might be resigning. De-nial isn't a river in Egypt.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Wags
Date: April 05, 2016 01:30PM
The Icelanders really know how to protest:

In the days following the leak, mass demonstrations calling for Gunnlaugsson to step down were held outside Parliament. Some people were seen hurling yogurt at the building in protest:
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 05, 2016 02:00PM
Wags
The Icelanders really know how to protest:

In the days following the leak, mass demonstrations calling for Gunnlaugsson to step down were held outside Parliament. Some people were seen hurling yogurt at the building in protest:

Hey, now.

The traditional next step was hurling fresh cod. They were hoping that it wouldn't have to get that bad.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 05, 2016 02:36PM
No, I think yogurt implied a progression down the fermented food products isle. He knew that it wouldn't be too long before they were going to be throwing Hákarl.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 05, 2016 02:48PM
Filliam H. Muffman
...it wouldn't be too long before they were going to be throwing Hákarl.

Mmmm. That's good eatin!

Posted by: Manlove
Date: April 05, 2016 02:55PM
Almost no Americans named...yet. It's a well known fact that all Americans are entirely incorruptible.
I'm hoping Cameron is sunk by his father's petard.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 05, 2016 03:39PM
I can't watch the video to verify this, and it may already be linked, but I think this is what I heard on NPR, which is hilarious.

[m.youtube.com]
Date: April 05, 2016 04:04PM
You guys are going to be talking about this for months...all your stocks and shares are linked to these dealings...your presidential elections will be dwarfed by the scale of the revelations to come. Whether or not your media will cover it is up for grabs..probably not because they are all involved, but the news will come out in other ways.
this is not just Iceland and Putin and nefarious bad duds around the world...this is everyone.
Date: April 05, 2016 04:11PM
[usuncut.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: April 05, 2016 04:20PM
Manlove
You guys are going to be talking about this for months...all your stocks and shares are linked to these dealings...your presidential elections will be dwarfed by the scale of the revelations to come. Whether or not your media will cover it is up for grabs..probably not because they are all involved, but the news will come out in other ways.
this is not just Iceland and Putin and nefarious bad duds around the world...this is everyone.

It sounds to me that there won't be many americans on the list because much of what these off shore activities achieve is legal in the US so there is nothing to hide.
Date: April 05, 2016 04:47PM
I love that word "legal". It's so utterly meaningless. Of course screwing people for 21 Trillion dollars is "legal"...why wouldn't it be?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 05, 2016 05:07PM
Legal isn't meaningless, it just doesn't mean what you wish it did. Legal and moral are totally different concepts and that's fine.

Date: April 05, 2016 05:23PM
legal means whatever suits those who have most to gain at any given point in history. It was legal to own slaves, because it suited those with profits to make. Of course legal and moral are different concepts. I didn't say otherwise.
"Legal" is only ever and always a term used to justify whatever the wealthy law makers want to achieve. Guns, drugs, rape, whatever. In and out of legality they go as public mores, or more to the point, profits, dictate.
Posted by: Black
Date: April 05, 2016 06:18PM
Turns out this resignation has been planned for a while.
[icelandreview.com]

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: April 05, 2016 06:22PM
Manlove
legal means whatever suits those who have most to gain at any given point in history. It was legal to own slaves, because it suited those with profits to make. Of course legal and moral are different concepts. I didn't say otherwise.
"Legal" is only ever and always a term used to justify whatever the wealthy law makers want to achieve. Guns, drugs, rape, whatever. In and out of legality they go as public mores, or more to the point, profits, dictate.

You sound like a frothing, foaming idiot... legal means legal - that is all.

I might point out that Black Panthers took up arms to make a point because it was a hell of a provocative protest and it was legal under the laws of the day.

Sometimes people pointing to the legality of something is a GOOD thing even in your POV - you're just too worked up to realize it. Calm the F down.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 05, 2016 06:22PM
He's a casualty, not a victim and he didn't resign he stepped down in favor of his deputy “for an unspecified amount of time” — as a sort of indefinite leave of absence — and not a formal resignation. He's still a member of Parliament.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 05, 2016 06:51PM
Manlove
legal means whatever suits those who have most to gain at any given point in history. "Legal" is only ever and always a term used to justify whatever the wealthy law makers want to achieve.

You must know that this is a meaningless rant. Obviously all our laws are not written to help the wealthy, otherwise rape and embezzlement would be legal, among other things.

You may want to rethink your position. Taking a concept (wealth is controlled by people who influence legislation) all the way out to infinity and beyond into lalaland is a great way to turn every reader off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 65
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020