advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"The Dangerous Acceptance of Donald Trump"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 22, 2016 10:58AM
Ted Cruz called Trump a pathological liar, the kind who does not know the difference between lies and truth. Whatever the clinical diagnosis, we do appear to be getting, in place of the once famous Big Lie of the nineteen-thirties, a sordid blizzard of lies. The Big Lie was fit for a time of processionals and nighttime rallies, and films that featured them. The blizzard of lies is made for Twitter and the quick hit of an impulse culture. Trump’s lies arrive with such rapidity that before one can be refuted a new one comes to take its place. It wasn’t his voice on that tape of pitiful self-promotion. O.K., it was—but he never mocked the handicapped reporter, he was merely imitating an obsequious one. The media eventually moves on, shrugging helplessly, to the next lie. Then the next lie, and the next. If the lies are bizarre enough and frequent enough, they provoke little more than a nervous giggle and a cry of “Well, guess he’s changed the rules!”

[www.newyorker.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "The Dangerous Acceptance of Donald Trump"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 22, 2016 11:38AM
But the thing is... he's so authentic sounding when he is lying whereas Clinton is so inauthentic sounding when she's not lying.

About the quote above - very nicely expressed. Thanks for sharing it.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 22, 2016 12:47PM
The media is using Trump to bank up on money. Put the mic in his face and tell him to "Say something stupid." He's a reality series. An uneducated man with a degree. He has everything he has in his life simply because he's a bully. He brags that he took a million dollar loan and turned it into billions. He ignores the sumptuous life afforded to him by the shady Fred Trump from the moment he was born with that silver spoon in his mouth. I think we could all be fairly successful if we had a million to invest and didn't have to worry our minds with being moral or ethical. Not weighed down by guilt, shame or remorse. Just plow over every obstacles and let the God sort it out.

His followers love him for the same reasons many Russians love Putin. They think he brings respect and visibility to their plight, Their plight being, whatever is happening bad in life, in "my" life, it's not my fault. edit: I'm not speculating on the Russian's people's "plight," just the Americans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2016 01:05PM by vision63.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 22, 2016 06:02PM
The sordid Blizzard at DQ is delicious!

Saw some conservative friends this past weekend. Last seen several months ago. This was the first time they neither teased Democrats nor mentioned a Republican candidate. It's a safe bet they'll hold their nose for whomever they vote for, but I'm less sure today which way it'll go.
Posted by: decay
Date: May 23, 2016 08:02AM
the same people who rant about entitlement seem to like a candidate who's very entitled himself.

---
Posted by: silvarios
Date: May 23, 2016 11:51AM
Wait, Ted Cruz, the guy many likewise find extremely odious, is lecturing us on the dangers of Donald Trump? Whatever. I wouldn't want Ted Cruz to be POTUS either, and find he's not much to look up to as a Senator.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2016 11:55AM by silvarios.
Date: May 23, 2016 12:00PM
"He announces his enmity to America by word and action every day. It is articulated in his insistence on the rightness of torture and the acceptable murder of noncombatants. It is self-evident in the threats he makes daily to destroy his political enemies, made only worse by the frivolity and transience of the tone of those threats."

Uh, the last liberal and conservative Executive leaders have consistently argued the exact same thing. To turn a blind eye to this extravagant disregard of founding principles to pursue their unjust, unconstitutional, and unending post 2001 war on terror, just because these other people are "regular" party candidates? That's sickening and intellectually dishonest.

Seriously, drone strikes and other attacks injure and kill non combatants regularly. But it's okay now because.....?????
Date: May 23, 2016 12:01PM
Yes, The Donald should be grilled on his "great ideas" and the media should stop letting the man have unfettered, unchallenged soundbites.
Posted by: samintx
Date: May 23, 2016 02:10PM
deckeda

Saw some conservative friends this past weekend. Last seen several months ago. This was the first time they neither teased Democrats nor mentioned a Republican candidate. It's a safe bet they'll hold their nose for whomever they vote for, but I'm less sure today which way it'll go.

You can swear to vote for Trump but the voting booth is private so who know who these people will really vote for.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 23, 2016 04:06PM
samintx
deckeda

You can swear to vote for Trump but the voting booth is private so who know who these people will really vote for.

Understood, but if and when we get into it ... I'm sure their political preference (and candidate preference) will be made more clear. Overall, we like each other quite a bit, and so do our best to avoid political conversations. smiling smiley On many basic issues and values we are aligned, but it's the "how we get there" parts where things never mesh.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: May 24, 2016 11:40AM
Authoritarianism.
Some people relish it.

[www.filmsforaction.org]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 24, 2016 12:26PM
Manlove
Authoritarianism.
Some people relish it.

[www.filmsforaction.org]

Austria (who could imagine it) just had an election within which they came a hairbreadth away from electing a far, far, far right wing government. They along with other European countries have been edging further and further right each cycle.

Do they take a lead from the way the US has been trending over the past few decades or are they simply reverting to form?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2016 12:26PM by RgrF.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 24, 2016 12:37PM
Roger, in a complicated world people seek simplistic answers. Having someone tell you what to think is the ultimate way to avoid having to cope with the chaos around us.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 24, 2016 12:56PM
True but the world you and I grew up in didn't seem to be as easily manipulated as today's world would seem to be. The concentration of wealth transcends borders, it carries with it a concentration of power in fewer and fewer hands.

The upheaval that climate change will eventually bring coincides with the concentration of wealth and power, one of those changes is no longer preventable the other could, but probably won't, be.

You and I won't be here to witness it but our kids and their kids, kids will.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 24, 2016 05:05PM
RgrF
True but the world you and I grew up in didn't seem to be as easily manipulated as today's world would seem to be.

It used to be that in order to manipulate people via the media, you needed to have total control of all media outlets and point a coherent message at the population.

Oddly, in today's world, people do this on their own - to themselves. There is SO MUCH media out there now that many choose what message they want to hear and then seek out more of it. Anything counter gets blocked at the source.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020