AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Sanders vows to carry on as Biden grows delegate lead
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 11, 2020 12:21PM
and on it goes...

Sanders vows to carry on as Biden grows delegate lead
[thehill.com]

A defiant Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) on Wednesday vowed to continue on in the race for the Democratic nomination following a string of dispiriting losses to former Vice President Joe Biden.

Sanders and Biden will square off for their first one-on-one debate of the cycle on Sunday in Arizona, and Sanders said he’d challenge Biden on a host of issues there.

The Vermont progressive acknowledged that he’s losing in the fight for delegates, saying that Democrats are worried that he’s not as electable. But Sanders vowed to carry on and make the case for his progressive politics even as his losses mount.

“We have won the ideological debate but we are losing the debate over electability,” Sanders said from Burlington. “I cannot tell you how many people our campaign has spoken to who say they agree with us, but will vote for Joe because they believe he’s the best to beat Donald Trump. Needless to say I strongly disagree with that assertion but that’s what millions of Democrats and Independents say. On Sunday I very much look forward to the debate.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sanders vows to carry on as Biden grows delegate lead
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 11, 2020 12:32PM
He's earned the right to debate one last time, make one last appeal, and listen to the votes next Tues.

But if nothing changes after voters vote on Tues, he should pledge to drop out of the race against Biden and join the team against The Idiot.
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 11, 2020 12:50PM
Bernie is right and everyone else is wrong. What are you Bernie going to do to pay for all of your plans without leaving us with a sky high debt? What have you done Bernie these last 29 years in Congress to forge alliances to get your plans to reality? What would you do Bernie to get your plans enacted with a republican congress?

I’m sorry. I like Bernie. But I am rapidly getting sick of his schitk. All he is capable of doing is repeating his own talking points.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 11, 2020 12:53PM
Bernie "I ALONE CAN FIX IT" Sanders. Narcissists gonna narcissist.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 11, 2020 01:13PM
vision63

dude...get real. They are ALL narcissists. and if you don't know this by now?? then you should
...everyone needs to keep this notion right in front of them...they are all 'there' because of that.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 11, 2020 01:25PM
Kraniac
vision63

dude...get real. They are ALL narcissists. and if you don't know this by now?? then you should
...everyone needs to keep this notion right in front of them...they are all 'there' because of that.

True, they are all a bit narcissistic, but it varies a lot by degree. Some are 1's, some are 10's and there are the rest in between. And finally there is 45, a definite "11".
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 11, 2020 01:44PM
Kraniac
vision63

There is huge difference between narcissistic and ego. I don’t think Bernie is a narcissist. Nor Biden.
Date: March 11, 2020 02:01PM
Pam
Kraniac
vision63

There is huge difference between narcissistic and ego. I don’t think Bernie is a narcissist. Nor Biden.

It's all about Bernie. If it was all about his "revolution" he would drop out and use his massive war chest to fund progressives in purple districts, in statehouses and other battleground elections. That's what other candidates do. He wouldn't even support his own son's run for congress. The same son that he chose to not pay "any" child support to. It's all good now though. It's just his ego.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 11, 2020 02:04PM
These character attacks reflect more on you than on the candidate.
Date: March 11, 2020 02:08PM
RgrF

No. It's all about people like you that just let people like him slide but conversely tear apart people you don't like. Normal people acknowledge what they do, apologize for it and try to atone. He never does and he never has. Anyone can be forgiven if they own their mess.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 11, 2020 02:17PM
So much hate on this side.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: March 11, 2020 02:22PM
Rick-o
So much hate on this side.

Never hate. Just severe dislike. Moreso for Trump, who I think Bernie helped usher in. Oh, and don't blame everybody over here.

It's just me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2020 02:24PM by vision63.
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 11, 2020 03:31PM
Bernie isn’t a team player smiley-rpg028
Date: March 11, 2020 06:26PM
Listen to his announcement. Bernie wants Biden to publicly endorse a series of progressive initiatives. If Biden does that, Bernie can say he moved the needle - and would then campaign FOR Biden for those points.

Just like Beto is going to go all-in on gun issues.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 11, 2020 06:35PM
I cannot understand why people think Sanders should quit. It ain't over 'til it's over. He is not mathematically out of it. If candidates listened to pundits Biden would have quit before South Carolina. This desire for instant gratification is killing this country.

Date: March 11, 2020 07:55PM
$tevie
I cannot understand why people think Sanders should quit. It ain't over 'til it's over. He is not mathematically out of it. If candidates listened to pundits Biden would have quit before South Carolina. This desire for instant gratification is killing this country.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Biden literally bet his ENTIRE plan on his 'southern strategy' - told people he was NOT competing in Iowa or NH, and he was making a MAJOR push starting in SC.

Sanders has already had his top states - CA, then Washington - and those states he barely beat Clinton he has often lost by double digits.

Beating The Idiot is MORE important than WHO beats The Idiot. Sanders needs to find a way for him to reconcile that baring a new Black Swan-type event, he's not going to be the nominee.
Date: March 11, 2020 08:28PM
$tevie is right. He's entitled to continue to run. They're already complaining about the establishment (apparently African Americans) forcing the other candidates out of the race.
Posted by: August West
Date: March 11, 2020 08:32PM
RgrF

+100, let's cancel the democratic process because my tribe should win.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 11, 2020 10:24PM
$tevie

I had to say this to a friend on social media who immediately went into conspiracy theory mode when the results from the iowa caucuses were delayed.

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 12, 2020 04:50AM
Bernie is only 154 candidates behind Joe. This is still a wide open race. I'm still surprised that Elizabeth dropped out so soon.

I still think we should have a national primary election day, all primaries happen together. That way al voters can weigh in and maybe a Warren or Buttigieg would be in serious contention. Now the late states will have no choices except for Sanders/Biden, and those who have their primaries in June probably won't need them as by that time most likely a person will be close enough to get the nomination.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 12, 2020 11:52AM
I think the primaries should all be clustered in March and April and no campaigning allowed until the year of the election. So in this case it would have been illegal to campaign in 2019. Then we don't have perfectly qualified candidates forced to drop out because they used up all their money before Super Tuesday. And we won't have states straggling behind with primaries that are meaningless.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 12, 2020 12:04PM
Sam3
Bernie is only 154 candidates behind Joe. This is still a wide open race. I'm still surprised that Elizabeth dropped out so soon.
I think the math is not there, with the assumption that no one gets, say, 90% of the vote to capture sufficient delegates to make the numbers jibe.

Sam3
I still think we should have a national primary election day, all primaries happen together. That way al voters can weigh in and maybe a Warren or Buttigieg would be in serious contention. Now the late states will have no choices except for Sanders/Biden, and those who have their primaries in June probably won't need them as by that time most likely a person will be close enough to get the nomination.

completely agree that there should be some sort of national primary day, or what i have suggested in place of what I believe is ridiculous early voting, is to have a primary weekend, of three or four consecutive weekdays and weekend voting.

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 12, 2020 01:46PM
I don't think stretching the primaries out at least somewhat is a bad thing. It's pressure testing that's a rather distinctive feature. Candidates get some chances to calibrate and refine. Drops get a chance to make deals on behalf of their delegates when endorsing. But 12-weeks-plus is ridiculous. How about over four weeks or some other smaller window? Rotate or randomize states per week.

One giant day, especially with half a dozen candidates on the ballot, just makes it a name-recognition beauty contest. Or worse, the moderate vote gets split among five moderate candidates, and the extremist reality TV star wins.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 13, 2020 03:31AM
$tevie, mrbigstuff, Acer, good points. A national primary day may not be the best idea.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: March 13, 2020 01:07PM
The primary season is relatively short. It's the pre-primary campaign that's wearing us down. It goes back for a year and a half or two. With social media, everybody can opine and wage turf wars. Now it's all about misinformation and the mishandling of that information. Gamesmanship. Foreign interlopers fomenting fractious divisions desperate to keep our country from electing productive leadership. Leadership that can effectively thwart their nefarious global ambitions. There's more misinformation than information.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 363
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020