Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Georgia manipulated their Coronavirus data
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 18, 2020 03:30PM
pdq
Once again - why is the CDC in Georgia?

Glad you asked.

Wikipedia

The new agency was a branch of the U.S. Public Health Service and Atlanta was chosen as the location because malaria was endemic in the Southern United States.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 18, 2020 04:51PM
surprise, surprise, surprise, gomer!

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 18, 2020 05:39PM

Also, Florida is doing something similar, telling their coroners not to report Covid deaths.

Posted by: pdq
Date: May 18, 2020 07:57PM
rjmacs
pdq
Once again - why is the CDC in Georgia?

Glad you asked.

Wikipedia

The new agency was a branch of the U.S. Public Health Service and Atlanta was chosen as the location because malaria was endemic in the Southern United States.

I guess my real question is, why does it continue to be in Georgia?
Posted by: DavidS
Date: May 18, 2020 08:52PM
Those of us who live here and follow the data have seen the flaws. Those who don't want to see them simply don't.

As for the CDC, I worked there from 1990-1992 doing Rabies research. Great group of dedicated, non-political scientists working for the public good. My original life goals were to get a MD-MPH and become an Epidemic Intelligence Service officer with them. Well, life goals change.

As for why Atlanta?
1) It originated here, as stated above. For an excellent history, I direct you to Sentinel For Health. I was given a copy shortly after publication by my co-workers as a going-away present before starting medical school. I do not know if it has ever been updated since then.
2) They have several large campuses around town. After 9/11, their funding went up significantly and allowed them to expand. The main campus is still next to Emory University and Hospitals, but they also have 2 other large campuses and several other buildings around town.
3) Lots of smart people in Atlanta. In some ways, Atlanta is very different than the rest of Georgia. Just because he currently lives at 391 West Paces Ferry Road, Brian Kemp is NOT from Atlanta and will hopefully be packing his bags in 2.5 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2020 08:53PM by DavidS.
Date: May 19, 2020 11:58AM
I remain concerned that the good folks at the CDC must, at least in part, be subject to the vicissitudes of the local political brawls, like (for instance) when the Georgia legislature decided that Delta must be punished for simply not renewing a relationship with the NRA.

Yes, I know the CDC is federally funded. Yes, I know that Atlanta is not Georgia. But I have to imagine this kind of thing has a chilling effect on even ostensibly independent organizations like the CDC.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 19, 2020 12:09PM
DavidS
Those of us who live here and follow the data have seen the flaws. Those who don't want to see them simply don't.

As for the CDC, I worked there from 1990-1992 doing Rabies research. Great group of dedicated, non-political scientists working for the public good. My original life goals were to get a MD-MPH and become an Epidemic Intelligence Service officer with them. Well, life goals change.

As for why Atlanta?
1) It originated here, as stated above. For an excellent history, I direct you to Sentinel For Health. I was given a copy shortly after publication by my co-workers as a going-away present before starting medical school. I do not know if it has ever been updated since then.
2) They have several large campuses around town. After 9/11, their funding went up significantly and allowed them to expand. The main campus is still next to Emory University and Hospitals, but they also have 2 other large campuses and several other buildings around town.
3) Lots of smart people in Atlanta. In some ways, Atlanta is very different than the rest of Georgia. Just because he currently lives at 391 West Paces Ferry Road, Brian Kemp is NOT from Atlanta and will hopefully be packing his bags in 2.5 years.

They kinda even have their own airport to shuttle in the nasty plauge-like dealies. Interestingly, they and their neighbors (Emory and Eggleston) asked Atlanta to annex the land they occupy, which finalized in 2018.
Date: May 19, 2020 12:14PM
Florida removes an IS manager for DOH’s Division of Disease Control and Health Protection.

Says she:

“As a word of caution, I would not expect the new team to continue the same level of accessibility and transparency that I made central to the process during the first two months,” wrote Jones, who holds a Ph.D. in geography from Florida State University. “After all, my commitment to both is largely [arguably entirely] the reason I am no longer managing it.”

It’s been a battle, says the Miami Herald:

During the coronavirus pandemic... the state has consistently resisted revealing important data points and public records to the news media and taxpayers, relenting only in the face of lawsuits. Information that was initially withheld includes the number of deaths and infections at nursing homes, medical examiner accounts of COVID-19 fatalities, the extent of Florida’s testing backlog, infections and deaths at state prisons and precisely how early cases began appearing in the state.

Maybe it’s something in the water down there.

Edit: More from USA Today:

The scientist who created Florida's COVID-19 data portal...was fired on Monday by the Department of Health, she said, for refusing to manipulate data.

Rebekah Jones said in an email to the USA TODAY Network that she single-handedly created two [data portal] applications in two languages, four dashboards, six unique maps with layers of data functionality for 32 variables covering a half a million lines of data. Her objective was to create a way for Floridians and researchers to see what the COVID-19 situation was in real time.

..."I worked on it alone, sixteen hours a day for two months, most of which I was never paid for, and now that this has happened I'll probably never get paid for,"

Republicans just don’t like truth being accessible to the masses when they’re trying to sell an alternate reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 12:35PM by pdq.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020