LA Times says: We're sorry...
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 27, 2020 04:12PM
...for our racist past.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: LA Times says: We're sorry...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 27, 2020 04:20PM
So Lou Grant was an accurate portrayal of the Times!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 27, 2020 04:52PM
Recent events might indicate that the TV character Lou Grant may have been an accurate portrayal of Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 27, 2020 05:03PM
Patrick Soon-Shiong bought the paper only just recently. How can you apologize for what someone else did?

You can't. So what's the point? As papers go, they're better than most.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 27, 2020 05:15PM
RgrF
Recent events might indicate that the TV character Lou Grant may have been an accurate portrayal of Minneapolis/St. Paul.

True.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 27, 2020 06:12PM
RgrF
...for our racist past.

On a side note. Celtics are about to try to tie it up in a few.
Date: September 27, 2020 06:27PM
Celt-Lake finals - wouldn't that be great?
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: September 27, 2020 06:33PM
Years ago-(seriously, it was 1966) I'm in California, my uncle is reading a story about a robbery, and the robbery described one of the suspects as a negro man. He asked me (and I didn't realize the point for years) what difference it made, unless the man was not caught (he was in custody at the time) and they were trying to describe him for possible witnesses.

It's ingrained-and it doesn't unlearn easily.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 27, 2020 06:38PM
vision63
RgrF
...for our racist past.

My boy and I listen to the games on the radio now, as we don't get the local sports channel. It's actually sort of a nice throwback. Smart will have a big night!
Date: September 27, 2020 08:49PM
mrbigstuff
vision63
RgrF
...for our racist past.

My boy and I listen to the games on the radio now, as we don't get the local sports channel. It's actually sort of a nice throwback. Smart will have a big night!

I'll listen to the games on SiriusXM sometimes. You're right, it is pretty cool.
Date: September 27, 2020 08:49PM
RgrF

Jimmy Buckets apparently believes otherwise.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 27, 2020 09:13PM
vision63
RgrF

Jimmy Buckets apparently believes otherwise.

So now that it's Heat - Lakers, Pat Riley really has a conundrum.
==
Date: September 27, 2020 09:15PM
TV ad executives are sitting unobtrusively in a corner, quietly slitting their wrists.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 27, 2020 10:56PM
A contrite apology - much more believable than the one their sister rag down in the far southwest corner ran today.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 27, 2020 11:05PM
RgrF
TV ad executives are sitting unobtrusively in a corner, quietly slitting their wrists.

My kid is downright depressed. It would have been the first finals for the Celts when he's now a real fan.
Date: September 27, 2020 11:16PM
bfd
A contrite apology - much more believable than the one their sister rag down in the far southwest corner ran today.

You mean the SD Union? - What did they have to say?*

*Never mind, I read it. Seemed like the publisher was apologizing for having to apologize.

(After reading the Times’ long apology, I spoke to my colleagues about the Union-Tribune. Not everyone was comfortable with the idea of an apology here. What does an apology imply about our staff, people who work tirelessly, and with the highest ethics, on behalf of the community? Why tie us to a legacy of problems that violate our values? What about the extraordinary work Union-Tribune journalists have done for decades?

It is not easy to accept responsibility. But I think the people of San Diego should know that at the Union-Tribune, we feel the weight of the painful chapters in our company’s story. We are sorry for the times the company has let down our community. It motivates us to do better.)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 27, 2020 11:45PM
If someone bought an estate that used to be a slave plantation, they should at least try to make sure everything is currently even. I don't mean they need to fire half their staff and hire an exactly representative work force.

While a bit conservative, they at least attempted to be politically unbiased. It might be interesting to know what prompted this self examination. Take a fresh look at their relationship with the SoCal establishment: advertising board, chamber of commerce, city/county supervisors and departments, LAPD, Sheriffs, legal system, and entertainment industry.

I would like to see Seattle and King County get a really critical review top to bottom too. I am continually stunned at how big the city budget is with so little getting accomplished (other counties are not exempt).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 28, 2020 02:45PM
Speedy
RgrF

True.

MN immigrant since 1995. Verified.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 28, 2020 04:01PM
RgrF
bfd

*Never mind, I read it. Seemed like the publisher was apologizing for having to apologize.

(After reading the Times’ long apology, I spoke to my colleagues about the Union-Tribune. Not everyone was comfortable with the idea of an apology here. What does an apology imply about our staff, people who work tirelessly, and with the highest ethics, on behalf of the community? Why tie us to a legacy of problems that violate our values? What about the extraordinary work Union-Tribune journalists have done for decades?

It is not easy to accept responsibility. But I think the people of San Diego should know that at the Union-Tribune, we feel the weight of the painful chapters in our company’s story. We are sorry for the times the company has let down our community. It motivates us to do better.)

Indeed it was possibly the most unapologetic apology that's ever been made in the long history of unapologetic apologies … the owner, Dr. Soon-Shiong likely told them to publish something.

The more things change, the more they stay the same…
Date: September 28, 2020 06:56PM
bfd
RgrF
bfd

Indeed it was possibly the most unapologetic apology that's ever been made in the long history of unapologetic apologies … the owner, Dr. Soon-Shiong likely told them to publish something.

The more things change, the more they stay the same…

He's a good guy. Check him out. [www.baltimoresun.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020