advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
chicken coup?!....tomorrow Pelosi will be talking about the 25th amendment.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 08, 2020 10:03PM
.....that involves transferring the power of the President......is she trying to stage a 'coup'........???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: chicken coup?!....tomorrow Pelosi will be talking about the 25th amendment.....
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 08, 2020 10:05PM
I read that. I thought it was something better handled in private.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: chicken coup?!....tomorrow Pelosi will be talking about the 25th amendment.....
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 08, 2020 10:27PM
Speedy
I read that. I thought it was something better handled in private.

I would have agreed, but there might be things going on that we don't know about, that she does.

It may have to do with Cadaverman's COVID status, or also the fact that we all just found out that someone put a bounty on Gretchen Whitmer's head. Or that we have an executive who is behaving extremely erratically, even more than usual, and who hasn't conceded that there needs to be a peaceful transition of power, if he loses the election. Or any of a number of things that, again, we might not all know.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 08, 2020 10:42PM
A coup is an action outside of the constitution. Like, oh, refusing to accept the results of an election and having a private army keep one in power.

Article 25 is fully legal.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: October 08, 2020 11:09PM
You might conclude from Trump's latest declarations that he is a raving lunatic, caught up in paranoid fantasies about the Democrats trying to undo the 2016 election. Oh wait -- sorry -- that was Mike Pence in the VP debate last night. But Trump is acting even weirder, and seemed to change his mind on stimulus funding within a few hours just the other day. Then he ranted for an hour and more about everybody who is out to get him. It was pretty fantastic, in the more literal sense of the word. Some folks speculate that he is high on dexamethasone and/or other drugs.

It's perfectly legal for the Speaker to have a discussion as to the president's mental fitness and to inquire from legal experts what remedies are available should the situation merit. I don't think this kind of discussion/hearing would go very far, and it's hard to imagine that the people who are required to act in invoking the 25th would actually do so, considering that they are mainly Trump's sycophants.

The other problem with the 25th Amendment procedure is that it provides for the president to declare that he is capable of returning to the job, and it would take action by the congress equivalent to removal after impeachment, except that the requirements are even more stringent.

The main function of the 25th seems to be to deal with a president who becomes entirely incapacitated, for example by having a serious stroke so that he wouldn't even be able to sign the paper that says he is ready to return to work.

I'm wondering if Pelosi and others are trying to throw a bit of a wrench into the mischief Trump could legally do after he loses the election but before Biden takes office. From the moment we mostly agree that the ballots are counted and Biden wins, there are still at least 8 or 9 weeks where Trump can make pardons, collect graft, issue strange executive orders, and all that. It might be worth doing a little something to intimidate him in advance.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 08, 2020 11:19PM
The Speaker cannot effect "a coup" by using what's already in the Constitution; several others would have to agree to it.

And several would never say the President is “unable to discharge the powers and duties” of the office. After all, he discharges all the time. Sometimes multiple times each day.

Even if Cadaver-man was talked into it, Congress would need a two-thirds vote in both chambers. Does anyone think for a moment 2/3 of the Senate would sign on to such a thing? They hate him, sure, but he's still their meal ticket they long ago got in bed with.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 08, 2020 11:27PM
Posted on the other side -- I think it should get moved to this side -- a still from a video of Trump's face. Truly disturbing, if it hasn't been digitally edited, it makes it appear that he's got some sort of facial/eye drooping on one side, along with swollen/puffy cheeks, spitting something out of his mouth, something oozing out of his eye, etc. He definitely does not look well.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 08, 2020 11:57PM
Sorry, I don’t give stills from videos credence, especially when the differences pretty much match so conveniently with the dividing line added in Photoshop, so as to highlight the “change.”
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 09, 2020 12:09AM
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 09, 2020 12:12AM
He fears losing the protective shell of being president. This man is a criminal and reckoning day is approaching. He's panicking.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 09, 2020 07:03AM
Ca Bob

I'm wondering if Pelosi and others are trying to throw a bit of a wrench into the mischief Trump could legally do after he loses the election but before Biden takes office. From the moment we mostly agree that the ballots are counted and Biden wins, there are still at least 8 or 9 weeks where Trump can make pardons, collect graft, issue strange executive orders, and all that. It might be worth doing a little something to intimidate him in advance.

Something along those lines is my best guess about what Pelosi is up to.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 09, 2020 07:13AM
jacked on steroids, COVID neurological damage...or just plain insane? It's your choice America.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 09, 2020 07:23AM
I commend Pelosi for her transparency in putting together this commission. I think it's exactly what she says it is; they want an agreed upon process for invoking the 25th. As a nation we haven't faced exactly this situation before; she is thorough and she follows the law and respects the Constitution and has deep respect for the office of the president if not the incumbent.

We can only hope that Pompeo, Barr, Pence and others ultimately are more loyal to the United States than they are to Donald Trump. McConnell has signaled that he's been done with the White House for some time now.

Ms. Pelosi said she planned to introduce legislation on Friday creating a commission on presidential capacity to review the health of a commander in chief under provisions of the 25th Amendment providing for the temporary transfer of power to the vice president in case of inability to discharge the duties of the office. “Crazy Nancy is the one who should be under observation,” Mr. Trump replied on Twitter.

Sure buddy.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 09, 2020 10:09AM
Lemon Drop
I commend Pelosi for her transparency in putting together this commission. I think it's exactly what she says it is; they want an agreed upon process for invoking the 25th. As a nation we haven't faced exactly this situation before; she is thorough and she follows the law and respects the Constitution and has deep respect for the office of the president if not the incumbent.

We can only hope that Pompeo, Barr, Pence and others ultimately are more loyal to the United States than they are to Donald Trump. McConnell has signaled that he's been done with the White House for some time now.

Ms. Pelosi said she planned to introduce legislation on Friday creating a commission on presidential capacity to review the health of a commander in chief under provisions of the 25th Amendment providing for the temporary transfer of power to the vice president in case of inability to discharge the duties of the office. “Crazy Nancy is the one who should be under observation,” Mr. Trump replied on Twitter.

Sure buddy.

I agree that she is doing the right thing for the country. Not sure it's going to address the current lunatic, but hope it leads to something useful like when President Pence gets COVID etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 76
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020