advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
great article about the REAL political divide in the US: Political junkies vs everyone else
Posted by: hal
Date: October 20, 2020 03:07PM
[www.nytimes.com]

I think a lot of us forget that we are a stark minority and most people do not follow the day to day machinations of politics. In fact, many of us have no idea what is important to non-political junkies.

Here are some snips:

At the start of the year (i.e., pre-pandemic), we asked people to name the two most important issues facing the country. As expected, we found some clear partisan divides: For example, Republicans are more likely than Democrats to cite illegal immigration as an important issue.

But on a number of other issues, we found that Americans fall much less neatly into partisan camps. For example, Democrats and Republicans who don’t follow politics closely believe that low hourly wages are one of the most important problems facing the country. But for hard partisans, the issue barely registers.

Partisan Republicans were most likely to say drug abuse was the most important problem facing the country. But less-attentive Republicans ranked it second to last, and they were also concerned about the deficit and divisions between Democrats and Republicans.

Among Democrats, the political junkies think the influence of wealthy donors and interest groups is an urgent problems. But less-attentive Democrats are 25 percentage points more likely to name moral decline as an important problem facing the country — a problem partisan Democrats never even mention.

These gaps extend beyond issues to feelings about the other party. Hard partisans are twice as likely as people who pay less attention to politics to say that they would be unhappy if their child married someone of the opposing party.

We asked a group of over 3,000 Americans to describe either themselves or members of the other party. Only 27 percent of these people said that they discuss politics frequently; a majority consider themselves moderates. But nearly 70 percent of these people believe that a typical member of the other party talks about politics incessantly and is definitely not moderate.

For partisans, politics is a morality play, a struggle of good versus evil. But most Americans just see two angry groups of people bickering over issues that may not always seem pressing or important.

Each day, partisan Democrats wonder whether that day’s “outrage” will finally change how people feel about President Trump. Partisan Republicans wonder the same thing about Joe Biden. But most “regular” voters are not paying that much attention to the daily onslaught. It turns them off.

And the major scandals that do break through? Well, to many of them, that is “just politics.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: great article about the REAL political divide in the US: Political junkies vs everyone else
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 20, 2020 03:42PM
I read that, don't agree with all of their conclusions. I'm a political junkie and Democrat and fair wages/income inequality are top priority for me. Not big money in politics - both sides can and do take advantage of that.

Attempts to put people in these narrow boxes always bug me, I think our motivations, beliefs and experiences are just way too diverse for that.
Re: great article about the REAL political divide in the US: Political junkies vs everyone else
Posted by: hal
Date: October 20, 2020 04:25PM
it wasn't an attempt to put people in narrow boxes - it was a discussion of the results of a poll of 3000 people. You may be a pol junkie that thinks that fair wages/income inequality are a top priority, but the poll finds that you are an outlier. Isn't that interesting?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 20, 2020 05:25PM
hal
it wasn't an attempt to put people in narrow boxes - it was a discussion of the results of a poll of 3000 people. You may be a pol junkie that thinks that fair wages/income inequality are a top priority, but the poll finds that you are an outlier. Isn't that interesting?

They've put the entire US adult population into 4 boxes. Given how diverse we are, that's pretty narrow to me.

and yeah I'm very comfortable being an outlier. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2020 05:26PM by Lemon Drop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020