advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
One of our relatives shows how important they feel it is to vote
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 25, 2020 09:26AM
My husband’s cousin’s widow is originally from Columbia. She now lives in Costa Rica, where she and his cousin mostly lived, running one of the Central American manufacturing plants for a US company. She had gotten her US citizenship along the way, after her and her husband moved back to the states as he got older. She felt so strongly about voting for against Trump that she paid DSL $130 for round trip airmailing of her ballot to and from Costa Rica.

Even better, she is registered in Florida.

Let’s hope it helps.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: One of our relatives shows how important they feel it is to vote
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 25, 2020 09:42AM
Good for her!

She could have saved a bundle by taking her ballot to the USA embassy to have it sent via the daily diplomatic pouch. The cost would have been a first class USA postage stamp. Might be hard to find a USA postage stamp in Costa Rica, though; gotta plan ahead.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 25, 2020 09:47AM
Costa Rican Leader!
Date: October 25, 2020 09:48AM
Speedy
Good for her!

She could have saved a bundle by taking her ballot to the USA embassy to have it sent via the daily diplomatic pouch. The cost would have been a first class USA postage stamp. Might be hard to find a USA postage stamp in Costa Rica, though; gotta plan ahead.

Yeah, she is hunkering down to avoid Covid, so she may not have wanted to go out, or she may not have trusted them to deliver it, I don’t know.

Posted by: abevilac
Date: October 25, 2020 09:56AM
Send her my thanks.
Date: October 25, 2020 09:56AM
rgG
Speedy
Good for her!

Yeah, she is hunkering down to avoid Covid, so she may not have wanted to go out, or she may not have trusted them to deliver it, I don’t know.

I understand. The embassy will accept ballots at the front entrance without having to go inside or through security.

Date: October 25, 2020 10:45AM
Speedy
rgG
Speedy
Good for her!

I understand. The embassy will accept ballots at the front entrance without having to go inside or through security.

That is good to know. I need to make sure she knows that for the future.

Date: October 25, 2020 10:46AM
abevilac
Send her my thanks.

I was very impressed that she made such an effort.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 25, 2020 10:50AM
Good for her, but how much do you want to bet that her ballot somehow gets "invalidated" for some BS reason?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: October 25, 2020 10:51AM
PeterB
Good for her, but how much do you want to bet that her ballot somehow gets "invalidated" for some BS reason?

I don't know, but I suspect she will be watching it closely online. She has friends in Miami that can help, if needed.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 25, 2020 10:53AM
rgG
PeterB

I don't know, but I suspect she will be watching it closely online. She has friends in Miami that can help, if needed.

Yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some votes in either PA or FL go somehow "missing" and/or are invalidated.

Like I've said, I wouldn't put anything past these frackers. Do anything to win is their motto.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 25, 2020 12:38PM
Speedy
She could have saved a bundle by taking her ballot to the USA embassy to have it sent via the daily diplomatic pouch.

Maybe a bit paranoid, but...

“Sharon Day is the United States Ambassador to Costa Rica. She previously served as the co-chairwoman of the Republican National Committee.”

“Assumed office September 25, 2017” Appointed by tRump.
Date: October 26, 2020 05:51AM
[wap.dhl.com]

September 12th, 2000

DHL Returns "Absentee Ballots" Free Of Charge In Upcoming Presidential Election
US overseas voters can send their vote for free in the upcoming Presidential election thanks to a partnership between US authorities and DHL Worldwide Express.
Voters can mail or drop off their ballot to their local DHL office and DHL will courier it to New York's JFK airport where the papers will enter the US postal system. Ballot papers will be sent by DHL's services to ensure absolute confidentiality and security.

Collection boxes will be available in all DHL service centres in over 160 countries and selected local locations such as US embassies or consulates. Alternatively, voters can mail the ballot to their local DHL office addressing it as 'US Ballot Offer, DHL Worldwide Express' plus full postal address.
The deadline for DHL to receive absentee ballots is 1st November.

This is the third election running DHL has worked with the US authorities to offer this service. "DHL is committed to providing this service to US citizens living overseas and from our experience in the 1992 and 1996 elections, we expect thousands of American expatriates to take advantage of this opportunity," comments Chris Weeks of DHL Worldwide Express.

Date: October 26, 2020 02:27PM
Wow. I wish she had known about that. sad smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020