advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Absentee Ballot Observation
Posted by: neophyte
Date: October 29, 2020 01:22PM
So I filled out my SC absentee ballot and dropped it off at an early voting site. Avoided the long line, in which 1/3 of the people were not masked and standing too close together. Just what I expected in this mostly Repub county.

But the paper ballot itself seemed to have been created with bias aforethought. In all multiparty contests, the Democratic candidates were at the bottom of the list. Every. Single. One. The various candidates were not listed alphabetically by first or last name, nor by party affiliation. For example, for the presidential race, the list was Green, Republican, Alliance, Libertarian, Democratic parties, and the associated names were Hawkins/Walker, Trump/Pence, De La Fuente/ Richardson, Jorgensen/Cohen, and Biden/Harris. In 6 races that had two or more parties with candidates, the Democratic party was always listed last. The only instance of a Democratic candidate listed first was when he was the ONLY candidate listed. In contrast, 9 candidates in the non-partisan School Board race were listed in alphabetical order.

It seems like a deliberate decision to create this type of ballot layout.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Absentee Ballot Observation
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 29, 2020 01:38PM
It might have been in SC. Is there an organization you can complain to?
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 29, 2020 01:57PM
GA was alphabetical.
That does sound shady.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 29, 2020 02:08PM
neophyte
So I filled out my SC absentee ballot and dropped it off at an early voting site. Avoided the long line, in which 1/3 of the people were not masked and standing too close together. Just what I expected in this mostly Repub county.

But the paper ballot itself seemed to have been created with bias aforethought. In all multiparty contests, the Democratic candidates were at the bottom of the list. Every. Single. One. The various candidates were not listed alphabetically by first or last name, nor by party affiliation. For example, for the presidential race, the list was Green, Republican, Alliance, Libertarian, Democratic parties, and the associated names were Hawkins/Walker, Trump/Pence, De La Fuente/ Richardson, Jorgensen/Cohen, and Biden/Harris. In 6 races that had two or more parties with candidates, the Democratic party was always listed last. The only instance of a Democratic candidate listed first was when he was the ONLY candidate listed. In contrast, 9 candidates in the non-partisan School Board race were listed in alphabetical order.

It seems like a deliberate decision to create this type of ballot layout.

I think this happens due to the order in which the state party certifies their candidates. The official sample ballot was actually prepared before the SC Dem party had certified Biden/Harris, so initially they were not on the sample ballot AT ALL. They got added at the end after the certification.

[www.greenvilleonline.com]

So this caused an uproar and needs to be changed; I agree that an alphabetical list by candidate's last name would be more fair.

I wasn't that bothered by it on the SC ballot. In fact in my county the only races that even had a Dem candidate were President, US Senate and US House. Kind of depressing, actually.

Still have to turn in my Mom's absentee ballot. Planned to go today but Hurricane Zeta interfered. Took 8 days for it to get here after it was finally mailed, from within the same county. Ridiculous. Glad I started weeks ago!
Posted by: p8712
Date: October 29, 2020 03:43PM
My Fl ballot was Trump on top, then Biden.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020