advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The report from my dad, poll worker.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 04, 2020 09:14AM
All year long he’s wanted to contribute to the process of Democracy. He signed up to be a Census taker but online snafus and the Census bureau’s clusterfuck mismanagement never materialized in him going out to knock on any doors.

Then he signed up to be a poll worker. A meeting or training event and that was that. So I just asked him if he did it as planned and how it went. This was in St. Peters, MO. He’s 86.

“I DID. Got there at 5am, sat in a big room with a pool of 60-70 people waiting for assignments to various precincts. At 11am the director came looking for a Dem (she’s a Republican, and called them Republicans but we were always “Dems”) and a Republican to go to some church in St. Peter’s. I spent the rest of the day there until 7:30. It was never packed but fairly steady. We were set up in bipartisan pairs. Most was just routine stuff—use their ID, typically drivers license or voter card, scan it into a pad, check if it’s correct info, have them sign the pad with finger or special stylus, get the proper ballot, both of us initial it and give it to the voter. Whole process, as you know, takes very short time —2 minutes.

If voter’s address is not in our system, or it says “inactive”, we send them to a supervisor, who figures it out. Some people were in the wrong precinct so we tell them where to go. Absentee voters brought in their ballots so they were pushed to supervisors.

All told, a piece of cake.

Our precinct processed about 1800 voters, maybe 60% of eligible.
If people hadn’t voted in recent elections they were deemed ineligible so supervisors had to update them.
We had no disputes.

I’ll never do it again.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The report from my dad, poll worker.
Date: November 04, 2020 09:18AM
And so now he’s back to fretting about why his iPhone still won’t talk to his brand new CR-V’s CarPlay.

Basically, he’s one of the two finest humans I’ve ever known.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 04, 2020 09:47AM
Being a pollworker is on my bucket list after I retire. So I can work the 2024 election (assuming there is one)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 04, 2020 09:48AM
Good for him.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 04, 2020 10:08AM
That's great. And at 86, to boot.

But I probably won't do it again, just because of the insane hours required. 14 hours, roughly, is too much, even with a couple of breaks.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 04, 2020 11:39AM
Masks?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 04, 2020 12:16PM
Speedy
Masks?

Didn’t ask but presumably it was mixed. As you’re aware, no one really enforces it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 59
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020