advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
‘This f---ing virus’: Inside Donald Trump’s 2020 undoing
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 07, 2020 04:07PM
This is a very long read that walks through the campaigns of both sides.

[www.politico.com]

This is just where they start.

Brad Parscale was on the phone with President Donald Trump and top White House officials in mid-February when someone on the line asked the campaign manager what worried him the most.

Parscale, speaking from his Arlington, Va. apartment, had just told the president how good his internal poll numbers looked. But now he had an urgent message: The coronavirus was a big problem – and it could cost him reelection.

Trump was perplexed. The economy was strong. The president had built an enormous political infrastructure and was raking in hundreds of millions of dollars. That month, Trump’s campaign conducted a $1.1 million polling project showing him leading prospective Democratic challengers even in blue states such as Colorado, New Mexico, and New Hampshire.

“Sir, regardless, this is coming. It’s the only thing that could take down your presidency,” Parscale told the president.

Trump snapped.

“This @#$%& virus,” Trump asked dismissively, according to a person with direct knowledge of the exchange, “what does it have to do with me getting reelected?”

That was exactly the attitude Joe Biden expected from the president. And Biden saw his task as unambiguous.

Create a contrast. Follow the scientists whom Trump ignored. Wear a mask, halt public events and reinvent campaigning to avoid putting people in harm’s way.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ‘This f---ing virus’: Inside Donald Trump’s 2020 undoing
Posted by: hal
Date: November 07, 2020 04:35PM
Not done yet, but there is a ton of new info in that article - thanks for posting it.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 07, 2020 04:56PM
I really, really hate the idea that the virus alone was his undoing. What that signifies is that the response to it was a coordinated attack on him and on his cult. Which of course, is more insane talk, but it will become the narrative. If it were not for the virus, he would have won. Can you imagine?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 07, 2020 05:45PM
mrbigstuff
If it were not for the virus, he would have won. Can you imagine?

Don't have to. It's true.

For all that he's an idiot, he seems to have stumbled onto something that taps into the worst in people and he milked it as far as it could take him.

Posted by: prymsnap
Date: November 07, 2020 06:14PM
Sarcany
mrbigstuff

For all that he's an idiot, he seems to have stumbled onto something that taps into the worst in people and he milked it as far as it could take him.

I agree. And if he'd been even slightly less of a dick regarding COVID, he would have swept in easily.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 07, 2020 06:20PM
Didn't read the article, but I get the gist. Maybe this COVID was a blessing in disguise. The price the humanity had to pay to get rid of him.
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 07, 2020 06:23PM
prymsnap
Sarcany
mrbigstuff

I agree. And if he'd been even slightly less of a dick regarding COVID, he would have swept in easily.

The simplest way to explain the choice to someone was "One guy believes in facts and science, the other guy wants to kill you". It's kind of like the Jack Benny routine, "Your money or your life", amazing how many had to "think it over".

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 07, 2020 07:07PM
Given the voting outcome and seeing all of this mini Red Wave come out and vote for this bigot, I concur. He would have been a favored to win re-election.
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 07, 2020 07:30PM
His undoing is that there are still more Great Americans than Bad ones. If only just barely more …

And because they tend to replicate their deplorable ideals in future generations, Great Americans must - well - Get Busy!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 07, 2020 07:40PM
The pandemic is only a topical stand-in for any number of things that could have driven the news cycle this year. In that sense, it’s just a metaphor for what he stands and how he behaves. It doesn’t imply we’ve forgotten about the laundry list of transgressions
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 07, 2020 07:57PM
Unfortunately, yes, the sad truth is that this guy almost won. I don't think it was just because of COVID that he didn't though; I think the major thing WAS the economy, which of course was at least partly due to his handling of COVID. That he couldn't see a link to the two things was what was his real undoing.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 08, 2020 09:15AM
To me, it shouldn’t be Whew - if it wasn’t for Covid, Trump would have won! It was Covid demonstrating that the emperor had no clothes.

In reality, Trump didn’t have much going for him other than the economy (and the hate-fueled xenophobia of his base). And the former was only a linear extension of the previous president’s economic run, which apart from the development of a stock market bubble, will fall short by almost every measure when compared to his predecessor’s. (Not to mention being juiced by a trillion dollar deficit-funded corporate tax giveaway, and a Fed pouring money into the economy at unprecedented rates.)

I don’t disagree that ultimately Covid did a lot to sink him. I just think that presidents tend to get more blame or credit re the economy than they are due. The real test was how a huckster with no experience in government could lead us through a genuine crisis like Covid and in this, Trump failed miserably.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 65
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020