advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Nasal spray might provide a day's protection from COVID...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 08, 2020 05:52PM
[www.cuimc.columbia.edu]

Successfully tested on ferrets. The idea is that you get up in the morning, give yourself a couple of spritzes and you're good for the day.

I hope they send a few million doses to Denmark. They've got some high-risk test subjects there.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nasal spray might provide a day's protection from COVID...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 08, 2020 06:00PM
....who nose......for sure....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 08, 2020 06:02PM
Sarcany,

In theory. 'course, it only protects you from when the virus enters via the nose. It won't protects other possible sources of entry, i.e. eyes, mouth, etc. Still, better than nothing and/or just a mask (and other safety procedures).

Robert
Date: November 08, 2020 06:09PM
Robert M
Sarcany,

In theory. 'course, it only protects you from when the virus enters via the nose. It won't protects other possible sources of entry, i.e. eyes, mouth, etc...

Keeps the virus from infecting lung tissue. Protects you from aerosols, which are believed to be the major source of infection.

So, keep your hands clean and snort some peptide once a day and the infection rate goes down into the low decimals. Once the R number is less than one, we've got this thing licked.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 08, 2020 06:19PM
Sarcany,

As I said... It only protects entry via the nose. Aerosols can enter via the eyes and mouth.

Robert
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 08, 2020 06:20PM
Interesting; I would be a little concerned about how the body might "see" the lipopeptide (as foreign?), and/or what it might do to the naso/respiratory tract.

Also, just because it works in ferrets... how are you going to test this in human beings? Obviously you have to do clinical trials and you can't intentionally infect, so like with the vaccines, you'll have to make statistical assumptions about efficacy. Since it's only protective for a short time, I think they might have difficulties finding volunteers...

And yeah, give it to the minks ... don't think you have much to lose there. Poor things, they just can't seem to catch a break from us humans.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 08, 2020 06:22PM
I saw that in the paper and thought it was very interesting.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 08, 2020 06:26PM
Daily dosage? Now that's innovation that leads to profit!!!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 08, 2020 06:38PM
rjmacs

Actually....

The antiviral lipopeptide is inexpensive to produce, has a long shelf life, and does not require refrigeration. These features make it stand out from other antiviral approaches under development, including monoclonal antibodies. The new nasal lipopeptide could be ideal for halting the spread of COVID in the United States and globally; the transportable and stable compound could be especially key in rural, low-income, and hard-to-reach populations.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 08, 2020 08:05PM
....say it.....don't spray it.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 08, 2020 09:25PM
mrbigstuff
rjmacs

Actually....

The antiviral lipopeptide is inexpensive to produce, has a long shelf life, and does not require refrigeration. These features make it stand out from other antiviral approaches under development, including monoclonal antibodies. The new nasal lipopeptide could be ideal for halting the spread of COVID in the United States and globally; the transportable and stable compound could be especially key in rural, low-income, and hard-to-reach populations.

That's the part that I find really appealing; if this stuff works and is safe, and could be manufactured in huge quantities and distributed quickly and widely, it could REALLY make a dent in the corona numbers, and work as a stopgap until we have a safe and effective vaccine. If safety is proven and it's not too expensive to manufacture in bulk, I could see most people saying that they'd be fine with doing a daily nasal spray to not get corona ... I know I would!

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 08, 2020 10:44PM
This seems like a prophylactic, which is just fine. In fact, probably preferred by some to a vaccine.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 09, 2020 05:43AM
PeterB

That's the part that I find really appealing; if this stuff works and is safe, and could be manufactured in huge quantities and distributed quickly and widely, it could REALLY make a dent in the corona numbers, and work as a stopgap until we have a safe and effective vaccine. If safety is proven and it's not too expensive to manufacture in bulk, I could see most people saying that they'd be fine with doing a daily nasal spray to not get corona ... I know I would!

How long will it take to establish dosage effectiveness and safety?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 09, 2020 05:59AM
I read an article recently in one of the med journals that simple mouthwash is effective at destroying the generic coronavirus in your mouth and upper throat. It breaks apart the cohesive qualities on the surface of the virus making them break apart. It has not been tested against Covid specifically, but the scientists said all the coronavirus family is essentially the same in that regard.

There were three mouthwash's mentioned - Listerine, Equate, and one other I can't recall and never heard of.

I figured it can't hurt and leaves my breath minty fresh.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: November 09, 2020 06:27AM
Ombligo
I read an article recently in one of the med journals that simple mouthwash is effective at destroying the generic coronavirus in your mouth and upper throat. It breaks apart the cohesive qualities on the surface of the virus making them break apart. It has not been tested against Covid specifically, but the scientists said all the coronavirus family is essentially the same in that regard...

[www.washingtonpost.com]

What those studies on mouthwash and coronaviruses actually mean

Contrary to some of the recent buzz around mouthwash, a daily gargle is probably not going to protect you from the novel coronavirus. Instead, experts say new research has “promising” implications for the potential of mouthwash to help infected individuals reduce their risk of spreading the deadly virus...

Meyers noted that the focus of the research was to find a way to lower transmission in situations where masking and being more than six feet apart might not be an option, for instance, during dental procedures.

But the findings do not necessarily mean using mouthwash or nasal rinses will protect you from getting infected, Rowan said.

“I do not think that they’re a good protective measure,” he said.

Date: November 09, 2020 08:30AM
Ted King
PeterB

How long will it take to establish dosage effectiveness and safety?

Good question, but ... Ombligo's post above also makes me wonder ... how about something a little more basic. We already know that this being an enveloped virus, it does not tolerate alcohol, detergents, or surfactants well. I wonder if it would be possible to use a daily nasal spray containing one of these agents as a prophylactic. Some nasal sprays may already contain one or more of these components, and therefore have already been tested to be safe, just maybe not at the concentrations needed to be effective. I see that there's one clinical trial already ongoing: [clinicaltrials.gov]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 71
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020