advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Who gets priority for the vaccine if it passes scientific review?
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 10, 2020 09:06PM
I was thinking about that question when it occurred to me that from a general public health perspective, giving the vaccine to those who are in and near the center of a bad outbreak may help slow things down - maybe enough to be the most efficient way to distribute the vaccine. A political wrinkle to this is that the places that will have the most need for the vaccine are the places that are doing the least to reduce the spread of the virus. That would be a bitter irony for those who live in areas where a lot of people are doing masks and social distancing diligently.

Of course, there will be higher priorities than local area general suppression when the vaccine is first available, but as numbers ramp up it could come to that ironic situation. (That is, unless the premise is wrong.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who gets priority for the vaccine if it passes scientific review?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 10, 2020 09:08PM
Cbelt3
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 10, 2020 09:13PM
Steve G.
Cbelt3

agree smiley
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 10, 2020 09:35PM
[time.com]
[news.yahoo.com]

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 10, 2020 10:01PM
I'd guess first responders. Healthcare, Police, Fire, EMS. Followed by Daycare workers and Teachers. Then other essential workers and finally everyone else.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 10, 2020 10:13PM
Earlier it seemed the feds were going to roll out vaccines to four states and one city:

“In early August, the CDC sent a letter to Philadelphia as well as the states of Minnesota, California, Florida and North Dakota, notifying them that they had been selected as one of five “pilot sites for joint planning missions” as part of Operation Warp Speed — the Trump administration’s effort to push SARS-Cov-2 vaccines through clinical trials and distribute them as quickly as possible.“

>>>

But not so quick:

“Then, on Sept. 16, the CDC released an official playbook for how to design a vaccine distribution plan. But instead of being sent to the five pilot jurisdictions, it was sent to every single jurisdiction — cities, states, and territories — that the CDC funds. Now, everyone needed to submit a plan by Oct. 16.

It appeared Philadelphia’s pilot status had come and gone.

“The pilot project was essentially our meeting with CDC,” Garrow said. “And having some offline conversations with them to help develop what would go into this playbook. Essentially, that was it.”

CDC spokesperson Kristen Nordlund said it was the plan all along to consult the five jurisdictions and then release the playbook.

“It’s not really dropping one for another,” Nordlund said. “We just happened to reach out to the five first to hear what they were already thinking about, to help us when we sent out the handbook.”

Nordlund could not detail which elements of the 55-page playbook came out of the conversations with Philadelphia health officials.“

[whyy.org]

>>>

It’s good to have a plan and Minnesota does - sort of:

[www.health.state.mn.us]

Apparently that’s just the executive summary. I couldn’t find the complete plan but I know Minnesota will be ready.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 10, 2020 10:33PM
It has to have special cold temps...
Date: November 11, 2020 02:56AM
[www.nbcnews.com]

HHS Secretary: Coronavirus 'general vaccination' programs by spring
In an appearance on the TODAY show, HHS Secretary Alex Azar outlined what he said would be the distribution schedule for Pfizer's experimental vaccine

Nov. 10, 2020, 6:59 AM CST / Updated Nov. 10, 2020, 7:46 AM CST
Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar predicted Tuesday that there would be enough Covid-19 vaccine for general public vaccination campaigns by spring 2021.

In an appearance on the TODAY show, Azar outlined what he said would be the distribution schedule for Pfizer's and other companies' experimental vaccines, none of which are approved, but Pfizer said Monday its vaccine is over 90 percent effective at preventing coronavirus infection.

Azar said the pharmaceutical giant is ramping up to deliver 20 million doses of its coronavirus vaccine monthly by the end of November.

Azar forecasted that there would be enough of the vaccine to inoculate at-risk nursing home residents, health care workers and first responders by the end of January and that there should be "enough for all Americans by the end of March to early April to have general vaccination programs."

Azar also touted the FDA emergency use authorization for Eli Lilly's monoclonal antibody bamlanivimab, a treatment for people at risk of developing severe effects from Covid-19.

Around the world and in the United States, coronavirus cases are skyrocketing, with over 50 million cases so far.

The United States leads with 10 million cases and nearly a quarter-million deaths since the pandemic broke out earlier this year.

In a statement Monday, Pfizer said it expects to deliver up to 50 million doses of its experimental coronavirus vaccine in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion in 2021.

Pfizer did not immediately respond to a NBC News request for comment on Azar's forecast for vaccine distribution in the United States.

Date: November 11, 2020 03:48AM
Worth a read:

[www.washingtonpost.com]

And:

[www.washingtonpost.com]

[www.washingtonpost.com]

The vaccine may be stuck in storage at Pfizer unless there is funding for the states efforts to actually vaccinate:

[www.washingtonpost.com]

If you want the CDC’s 75 page pdf handbook:

[www.cdc.gov]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2020 04:07AM by Speedy.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 11, 2020 07:24AM
People who are at risk of contracting it. First responders, medical personnel. Nursing home staff and residents.

I have a functional immune system. I’m more worried about my mother, who contracted it 5 days ago along with my sister and two of her children. So far they are doing generally okay.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: November 11, 2020 07:45AM
I'll wait for a more traditional protein vaccine, like the one being tested by Novavax.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 11, 2020 08:01AM
cbelt3
People who are at risk of contracting it. First responders, medical personnel. Nursing home staff and residents.

I have a functional immune system. I’m more worried about my mother, who contracted it 5 days ago along with my sister and two of her children. So far they are doing generally okay.

How did that happen?

You've been as on top of this whole thing as anyone here. We (as a family are similarly situated) and holding up and isolated while holding our collective breaths; only in contact with immediate family.

Any idea what triggered this?

This is turning into one of, if not the, biggest suck of what's left of both of our lifetimes.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 11, 2020 08:52AM
RgrF
cbelt3
.. I’m more worried about my mother, who contracted it 5 days ago along with my sister and two of her children. So far they are doing generally okay.

How did that happen?
Sister's kids contracted it at school because of course they have to go to their religious driven school (She and her husband and kids are part of a weird Catholic sub-cult). And the kids came home and gave it to their mother and grandmother.

So far it seems like it's been a small viral load, and Mom has been isolating in her Mom suite in the house. Other sisters who live in town have been dropping off supplies for Mom at the door. Mom is also very fit and very healthy (Organic Farm girl). So far, so good.
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 11, 2020 05:31PM
Gotta wonder how all these asshats are going to manage the logistics on this one. It won't be pretty.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020