advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Georgia secretary of state announces hand recount of presidential race
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 11, 2020 10:09AM
The Party of Treason continues it's attempt to destroy American democracy by dragging out this election.

Georgia secretary of state announces hand recount of presidential race
[thehill.com]
Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger (R) announced Wednesday he will oversee a hand recount of ballots cast in the Peach State as President-elect Joe Biden maintains a slim lead over President Trump there.

DEVELOPING

Note: any result will not affect Biden's election

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2020 10:12AM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Georgia secretary of state announces hand recount of presidential race
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 11, 2020 10:13AM
Hanging Chad, part deux.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 11, 2020 10:15AM
As long as they get to it. My only concern is that, gosh they just didn’t have time to complete the hand recount by the deadline, and so we really don’t know who won - guess the Georgia state legislature will have to decide who won.
Date: November 11, 2020 10:20AM
There is speculation this is more about getting Perdue over 50% than making up the 14,000 vote deficit for Trump.
Date: November 11, 2020 10:27AM
CNBC [www.cnbc.com]

Georgia will conduct a statewide recount of ballots cast in the election between President Donald Trump and President-elect Joe Biden, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said Wednesday.

“With the margin being so close, it will require a full, by-hand recount in each county,” Raffensperger said at a press conference.

Raffensperger, a Republican, said that the state will work with county officials to complete the recount in time to meet its Nov. 20 deadline for certifying statewide election results.

“It’ll take every bit of the time we have left, for sure,” he said.

Raffensperger had previously telegraphed that a recount was likely in the state, which has traditionally voted for Republican presidential nominees. Trump’s supporters, including GOP Rep. Doug Collins, earlier this week asked the Georgia official for a hand recount of the results.

“This will help build confidence. It will be an audit, a recount and a recanvass all at once,” Raffensperger said. “It will be a heavy lift but we will work with the counties to get this done in time for our state certification.”

Biden holds a lead of more than 14,000 votes in the Peach State, according to NBC News’ analysis of the race. NBC has not called a projected winner in the state.

Trump, on the day after the Nov. 3 election, falsely asserted that his campaign had “claimed, for Electoral Vote purposes,” Georgia and other states. With Biden now projected to secure more than the 270 electoral votes required to clinch the presidency, Trump and his surrogates have already demanded recounts in states including Georgia and Wisconsin.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 11, 2020 10:32AM
Parkinson’s Law!

“Work expands to fill the time allotted for its completion.”
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 11, 2020 10:33AM
We will keep counting until the right person wins!
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 11, 2020 10:35AM
Do they have any statistics on the historical accuracy of hand vs machine counting? I suspect that machine counting is more accurate, doesn't suffer from "human error".

I hope they do them in the same batches that the machines did and release the vote differences for each batch so that we can see if there's a trend developing.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 11, 2020 10:35AM
Steve G.
There is speculation this is more about getting Perdue over 50% than making up the 14,000 vote deficit for Trump.

CNBC [www.cnbc.com]

Georgia will conduct a statewide recount of ballots cast in the election between President Donald Trump and President-elect Joe Biden, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger said Wednesday.

“With the margin being so close, it will require a full, by-hand recount in each county,” Raffensperger said at a press conference.

Raffensperger, a Republican, said that the state will work with county officials to complete the recount in time to meet its Nov. 20 deadline for certifying statewide election results.

“It’ll take every bit of the time we have left, for sure,” he said.

Raffensperger had previously telegraphed that a recount was likely in the state, which has traditionally voted for Republican presidential nominees. Trump’s supporters, including GOP Rep. Doug Collins, earlier this week asked the Georgia official for a hand recount of the results.

“This will help build confidence. It will be an audit, a recount and a recanvass all at once,” Raffensperger said. “It will be a heavy lift but we will work with the counties to get this done in time for our state certification.”

Biden holds a lead of more than 14,000 votes in the Peach State, according to NBC News’ analysis of the race. NBC has not called a projected winner in the state.

Trump, on the day after the Nov. 3 election, falsely asserted that his campaign had “claimed, for Electoral Vote purposes,” Georgia and other states. With Biden now projected to secure more than the 270 electoral votes required to clinch the presidency, Trump and his surrogates have already demanded recounts in states including Georgia and Wisconsin.

Since they are recounting the Presidential race, I wonder how that even effects the down ballot races? I would think not at all, since there is no direct correlation from one to another. I know for a fact that my husband voted in the Presidential race but did not vote for either Perdue or Ossoff.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2020 10:36AM by rgG.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 11, 2020 10:44AM
Is this the concession he gave when the GOP Senators asked him to resign earlier this week?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 11, 2020 10:50AM
Steve G.

Of course

Coup Clutz Clan carries on.
Date: November 11, 2020 11:05AM
sekker
Is this the concession he gave when the GOP Senators asked him to resign earlier this week?

I believe he had already said they were going to do an audit and recount, earlier this week, before the pressure.
I am not sure they planned to do a hand count, which seems crazy to me, but I guess the Trumpers think they might be able to manipulate that to their advantage?

Posted by: GGD
Date: November 11, 2020 11:18AM
rgG
sekker

I believe he had already said they were going to do an audit and recount, earlier this week, before the pressure.
I am not sure they planned to do a hand count, which seems crazy to me, but I guess the Trumpers think they might be able to manipulate that to their advantage?

The news reports I recall over the past week was that GA announced an automatic recount due to the close margins. And then the Trump campaign requested that it be a hand count.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 11, 2020 12:03PM
Lemon Drop
Steve G.

Of course

If I understand the Risk Limiting Audit correctly, Georgia will only be recounting presidential votes for this recount.

That doesn't mean that there can't be a separate recount for the senate race(s), but that recount would not be a hand recount, but a rescan of ballots.

Also, there is no review of the validity of ballots cast in a recount, as they are anonymized, so the total number of votes will remain essentially unchanged.

Edit: also, the selection of the presidential race was (according to Raffensperger, anyway) not because of any campaign request, but because it is the closest race across the state.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2020 12:07PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: November 11, 2020 12:17PM
I believe their endgame is to have the state legislatures declare their own electors, never mind if it's legal in a given state or not. They already have 70% of Rs believing there was fraud. This is insane. The Rs are doing their level best to tear the nation apart.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 11, 2020 12:27PM
SteveO
I believe their endgame is to have the state legislatures declare their own electors, never mind if it's legal in a given state or not. They already have 70% of Rs believing there was fraud. This is insane. The Rs are doing their level best to tear the nation apart.

Georgia is the backup for Biden. No way PA is going to go that way - the PA SC is Democratically controlled.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 11, 2020 12:35PM
SteveO

Which state legislatures?

This idea is a bogeyman, and it doesn't hold up to scrutiny any more than the incumbent's claims of fraud.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 11, 2020 12:41PM
rjmacs
Lemon Drop
Steve G.

Of course

If I understand the Risk Limiting Audit correctly, Georgia will only be recounting presidential votes for this recount.

That doesn't mean that there can't be a separate recount for the senate race(s), but that recount would not be a hand recount, but a rescan of ballots.

Also, there is no review of the validity of ballots cast in a recount, as they are anonymized, so the total number of votes will remain essentially unchanged.

Edit: also, the selection of the presidential race was (according to Raffensperger, anyway) not because of any campaign request, but because it is the closest race across the state.

That’s my understanding also.
It shouldn’t do anything to help Perdue.
Loeffler is in a run off no matter what.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 11, 2020 01:03PM
Reading AJC it seems like a reasonable process that can be completed quickly as part of what they were going to do anyway, but if I were a Georgian I'd want the trump campaign to pay for this since they have provided no evidence of fraud.

And when the result is again for Biden? Then what will they say?

Also I'm impressed by the sec of state's professionalism under extreme pressure. Compared with other GOP officials this week, he sounds quite sane.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2020 01:09PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: November 11, 2020 02:47PM
rgG
I know for a fact that my husband voted in the Presidential race but did not vote for either Perdue or Ossoff.

You have some work to do there lady.
Date: November 11, 2020 03:36PM
neophyte
rgG
I know for a fact that my husband voted in the Presidential race but did not vote for either Perdue or Ossoff.

You have some work to do there lady.

Oh, I know. It is a very sore point. baseball bat smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020