advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
“Moron, with cold symptoms, says his covid-19 tests are inconclusive: ‘Something extremely bogus is going on’ “
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 13, 2020 06:14AM
I may have edited the headline slightly. [www.washingtonpost.com]

Here’s what we know. Famous Covid-denier took multiple rapid tests, questions the results he doesn’t like.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: “Moron, with cold symptoms, says his covid-19 tests are inconclusive: ‘Something extremely bogus is going on’ “
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 13, 2020 06:25AM
Medical experts have long warned that such rapid-fire tests are not as reliable as polymerase chain reaction, or PCR tests, which must be processed in a laboratory. A White House strategy relying on the accuracy of rapid antigen tests has led to multiple outbreaks in the executive branch.

...But it has many times more false-negatives than false positives so he's probably got COVID.

What should come next is a PCR test, and apparently he's not a complete idiot because that's what he's doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2020 06:26AM by Sarcany.
Re: “Moron, with cold symptoms, says his covid-19 tests are inconclusive: ‘Something extremely bogus is going on’ “
Date: November 13, 2020 06:39AM
Past behaviors being indicators of future performance ...

It’s not a stretch to assume he didn’t want to wait, decided to vent his frustration due to his willingness to be a moron, then finally gave in to the PCR when it was finally explained to him for the 10th time that yes, there actually IS a more reliable test, and we’ll do that next.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 13, 2020 07:27AM
Hey, Musk is a billionaire.

This must mean that he is smart.

This means that he is right.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: November 13, 2020 07:38AM
In addition to the rapid test not being particularly accurate from the get-go, it's also subject to biotin interference, so—if you're taking any kind of high-dose B or multi-vitamin supplement—it's going to result in even more false outcomes. Symptomatic persons shouldn't begin with rapid testing.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 13, 2020 08:08AM
Sarcany
Medical experts have long warned that such rapid-fire tests are not as reliable as polymerase chain reaction, or PCR tests, which must be processed in a laboratory. A White House strategy relying on the accuracy of rapid antigen tests has led to multiple outbreaks in the executive branch.

...But it has many times more false-negatives than false positives so he's probably got COVID.

My daughter told me that the rapid tests may have a 50% false negative rate, which is exactly what Musk is describing.

He may find it “extremely bogus”; I see it as the best we can do at this time.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 13, 2020 09:14AM
Well, maybe he can make a better test. But I doubt it.

He may be a rocket scientist, but he’s an idiot when it comes to life science.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 13, 2020 09:41AM
sekker
He may be a rocket scientist

He hires and pays rocket scientists.

He is not.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 13, 2020 11:15AM
Lux Interior
sekker

He is not.

ftw smiley
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 13, 2020 12:26PM
Lux Interior
sekker

He is not.

Semantics, he personally knows a lot of material science etc. If you want to define rocket science as more than that, and you are a rocket scientist, I support you all the way.

I am a life scientist, we do research that is used to make novel diagnostics. Musk does not have anything related to life science or even a basic understanding of DNA science, or the science of diagnostics. He is certainly not an epidemiologist- I am not one, either, but even I can make that statement about Musk with certainty.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 13, 2020 01:03PM
I've known lots of very smart people who are absolute morons - it's not that rare.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 13, 2020 01:10PM
....man....that's.....cold.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 13, 2020 02:14PM
hal
I've known lots of very smart people who are absolute morons - it's not that rare.

Musk exhibits a classic "Spectrum" kind of personality. So that suggests that he may have keen knowledge in some finite areas. Overall, though? Probably not so much. Publicly, he's said and done some fairly dumb things.
Posted by: Janit
Date: November 13, 2020 02:39PM
hal

The problem with too many smart people is that they think expertise in one narrow field qualifies them as experts in everything.
Date: November 13, 2020 07:17PM
^^ bingo
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 13, 2020 09:57PM
This was Steve Jobs too. Brilliant man in many areas, but not biology. If Jobs had turned to medical science sooner, instead of embracing hokey medicine in the beginning, to treat his cancer, he may have still been around and creating the next big thing(s).
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 14, 2020 12:03AM
sekker
Lux Interior
sekker

He is not.

Semantics, he personally knows a lot of material science etc. If you want to define rocket science as more than that, and you are a rocket scientist, I support you all the way.

I am a life scientist, we do research that is used to make novel diagnostics. Musk does not have anything related to life science or even a basic understanding of DNA science, or the science of diagnostics. He is certainly not an epidemiologist- I am not one, either, but even I can make that statement about Musk with certainty.

Dupe post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2020 12:05AM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 14, 2020 12:05AM
sekker
Lux Interior
sekker

He is not.

If memory serves me, Lux is not just the deceased singer in an iconic punk performance band, I think he's also a physics honcho. No?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020