advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
I’m taking the new naturalization test. Wish me luck?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 14, 2020 09:10AM
And you can, too: [www.washingtonpost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2020 09:11AM by deckeda.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I’m taking the new naturalization test. Wish me luck?
Date: November 14, 2020 09:38AM
I read the questions to the wife and I input her answers. Had a lot of fun, because she wasn’t processing the questions fully this morning. 15/20 ... crappy, but only 60% is needed to pass. Some of the choices are hilarious. One reminded me of the Belushi-Animal House pep talk. [youtu.be]
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 14, 2020 10:04AM
I got two wrong, but one was a brain fart/speeding through. (How many Senators)

The other one was what documents influenced the Constitution. I thought that was a toughie (except for one choice).
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 14, 2020 10:13AM
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 14, 2020 10:53AM
One wrong; in all honesty, I've never even heard of the "Fundamental Orders of Connecticut". huh smiley
Posted by: davester
Date: November 14, 2020 11:10AM
18/20. I also have never heard of "The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut".

I object! The question "Many documents influenced the U.S. Constitution. Name one." had "Magna Carta" as one of the answers, which is very much a correct answer but the test shows it as incorrect. That is absolutely ridiculous. A simple google search will show many links proving that the test answer is wrong. The founders relied heavily on the Magna Carta in crafting the US Constitution. Furthermore, if you go to see the original constitution at the National Archives Museum in Washington, there is one of the original copies of the Magna Carta hanging right next to it, with (as I recall) an explanation of the relationship between the two documents.

I'd also take issue with the answer to "Why did the United States enter the Vietnam War?" which is supposedly "To stop the spread of communism". That's pure revisionist propaganda.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2020 11:53AM by davester.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 14, 2020 11:25AM
DeusxMac
One wrong; in all honesty, I've never even heard of the "Fundamental Orders of Connecticut". huh smiley

Nor did I - Grew up next door in Massachusetts.

Thing is most voters are more prepared for a DMV drivers test than they'll ever be for a citizenship test since they'll never be asked to take one. They should be.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 14, 2020 11:48AM
19 out of 20, and they were wrong about the Magna Carta-it _did_ Influence the Constitution.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 14, 2020 12:25PM
20/20 but I’ve always rocked multiple guess tests.
Date: November 14, 2020 01:14PM
cbelt3
20/20 but I’ve always rocked multiple guess tests.

Did you know about "Fundamental Orders of Connecticut" or just guess? :-)
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 14, 2020 01:19PM
18/20

Connecticut threw me as did the reason for Vietnam war. I was too young to live the beginning and by the time we reached that part if US History, I was ditching school and going to the beach.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: neophyte
Date: November 14, 2020 03:54PM
19/20

From the article: "questions to mirror what U.S. students typically learn in civics classes.

They teach that "Fundamental Orders of Connecticut" document in civics classes?

Wait, do they even teach civics classes anymore?
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 14, 2020 04:07PM
neophyte
19/20

From the article: "questions to mirror what U.S. students typically learn in civics classes.

They teach that "Fundamental Orders of Connecticut" document in civics classes?

Wait, do they even teach civics classes anymore?

Agree that the Magna Carta was definitely an influence.
I have never heard of the FOoC. That’s nuts.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 14, 2020 04:40PM
I got wrong #14: "The American Revolution had many important events. Name one."
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 14, 2020 05:54PM
Same as most others - 19/20 and Magna Carta should be accepted.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 14, 2020 10:35PM
space-time

They would also accept The Bowling Green Massacre.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 15, 2020 12:15AM
Lux Interior
space-time

They would also accept The Bowling Green Massacre.

Would they accept the Saturday Night Massacre?
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: November 15, 2020 02:10AM
Well, I disagree with 2 of the answers they gave:

A military conflict after the 9-11 attack: I chose the second gulf war (aka Iraq War) because it was a military conflict and it happened after nine eleven. The test says "war on terror" which strikes me as a multifaceted foreign policy but not as much a conventional military operation compared to an event which included troops, the Navy, an organized invasion, and a military occupation. The fact that the answers included "the Gulf War" strikes me as an inadequate way of saying "second gulf war," but not as wrong as claiming the war on terror is a military operation. Certainly it has included military operations, but so what?

Re leading up to or affecting the Constitution
I suppose I could have guessed one of the local compacts (although Virginia's is taught in schools) but how could you not include the Magna Carta as one step among several in the intellectual history of shared power; in this case, the elevation of the power of the nobles is analogous to the idea of the U.S. senate -- admittedly with a different way of getting into the club, different tenure in office, and different overall powers, but also the recognition of an upper house of lawmaking which existed distinct from the unitary executive -- and of course before the elevation of the powers of the House of Commons, the authority that the colonists had to deal with.
Date: November 15, 2020 09:22AM
Ca Bob
Well, I disagree with 2 of the answers they gave:

A military conflict after the 9-11 attack: I chose the second gulf war (aka Iraq War) because it was a military conflict and it happened after nine eleven. The test says "war on terror" which strikes me as a multifaceted foreign policy but not as much a conventional military operation compared to an event which included troops, the Navy, an organized invasion, and a military occupation. The fact that the answers included "the Gulf War" strikes me as an inadequate way of saying "second gulf war," but not as wrong as claiming the war on terror is a military operation. Certainly it has included military operations, but so what?

Yeah, that struck me as a weird one, too. They used the term "Persian Gulf War". Turns out that the war with Iraq over the invasion of Kuwait is evidently often called the "Persian Gulf War". I Googled it. But it was also often just called "the Gulf War" or "the First Gulf War" or "Operation Desert Storm". I ended up choosing "the war on terror" even though, like you, I didn't really think of that as one (the "one" was underlined) military conflict. Bad question.
Date: November 15, 2020 12:27PM
Dunno what the reasoning is for excluding the Magna Carta, unless they're looking for influences closer to America (that still occurred prior to 1789.)

That leaves one possible answer from the 4 given. So if "USCIS accepts many answers, including: Declaration of Independence, Articles of Confederation, Federalist Papers, Anti-Federalist Papers, Virginia Declaration of Rights, Fundamental Orders of Connecticut, Mayflower Compact, Iroquois Great Law of Peace" then perhaps that means the distractors (incorrect answers) are sometimes swapped out for the items (questions).
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 15, 2020 10:19PM
"The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut" are not covered in ANY K-12 History curriculum that I am aware of, except AP US History. Which, if you are taking that you would be considerably more knowledgeable than the average american.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Janit
Date: November 16, 2020 10:17PM
Note that the form of this exercise is multiple choice, which is NOT the way the naturalization test is actually given. In real life, the examinee is asked to supply an answer to the question. That is why this exercise mentions what answers are acceptable after you have picked from the multiple choices.

Whoever designed this exercise was an idiot. Of course none of us knows what the Fundamental Orders of Connecticut are. The majority of people who DO know are probably naturalization candidates who have studied the propaganda preparation booklet for the test.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 17, 2020 09:26AM
I'm glad that the incoming administration has a different attitude toward immigrants.

If Stephen Miller had four more years, we'd be asking naturalization candidates how many jelly beans are in the jar.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 17, 2020 12:01PM
"you may win a prize"

You may not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020