advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The more things seem different...
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 14, 2020 09:16AM
...the more they seem the same.

Joe Biden has named President Obama’s former top immigration adviser Cecilia Muñoz to his transition team. During her time in the White House, Muñoz often justified Obama’s harsh immigration enforcement policies, including the administration’s deportation of thousands of Central American children and its decision to kill an executive order that would have halted deportations. In 2011, Muñoz was interviewed by PBS’s Maria Hinojosa.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The more things seem different...
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 14, 2020 09:47AM
Conflating Muñoz with Miller is a fundamental rookie error.
Date: November 14, 2020 09:50AM
deckeda
Conflating Muñoz with Miller is a fundamental rookie error.

How?

She laid the tarmac they taxied down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2020 09:51AM by RgrF.
Date: November 14, 2020 10:18AM
One of them followed the law and one of them bent it way out of shape through interpretation. It’s called a false equivalency. Obama was criticized but the comparison to the Trump administration remains wildly off the mark if you consider intent, method of enforcement.

Just in that one quote alone from her, she’s saying the laws are crap. Trump, on the other hand, didn’t mind so much. With him it’s the PEOPLE being deported and separated that are the problem. That does tend to influence whatcha do with them, no?
Date: November 14, 2020 10:59AM
"So the laws are crap" that's an excuse?

How does that make this not just another apologist statement?

Remember when the Clinton regime passed criminal laws that today are intolerable? Is that something we ought to just forget.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2020 11:05AM by RgrF.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 14, 2020 11:57AM
I called Obama the Deporter in Chief on many occasions. He was pretty ruthless on that, but efficient as well.

He did NOT allow kids to be kept in cages.

He did separated families to linger in concentration camps for months on end.

He did not "lose" children.

Trump was to inept to be good at deporting.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 14, 2020 12:27PM
“Law and Order “ politics has always been “keep the brown people down” politics.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 14, 2020 12:38PM
I know I’m being an apologist here, but I feel like immigration (and rational immigration reform) were important issues during Obama’s tenure, and either Obama didn’t want to be painted as “favoring amnesty”, or he felt that enforcing the laws as written in this regard would push society (and Congress) toward reform.

Neither of which worked, in any case. But having failed that, at least he did come up with DACA, which the right predictably freaked out about.
Date: November 15, 2020 09:45AM
RgrF
"So the laws are crap" that's an excuse?

It’s an explanation. If it were an excuse I probably would not have acknowledged the criticism and then gone on to ...

RgrF
How does that make this not just another apologist statement?

... show how Trump is different and far worse, which remains something you’re willingly ignoring in your zeal of purity.

RgrF
Remember when the Clinton regime passed criminal laws that today are intolerable? Is that something we ought to just forget.

That depends on how far you’d like to keep taking your own thread off-topic.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 15, 2020 09:51AM
pdq
I know I’m being an apologist here, but I feel like immigration (and rational immigration reform) were important issues during Obama’s tenure, and either Obama didn’t want to be painted as “favoring amnesty”, or he felt that enforcing the laws as written in this regard would push society (and Congress) toward reform.

Neither of which worked, in any case. But having failed that, at least he did come up with DACA, which the right predictably freaked out about.

President Obama had 2 years of a Congressional majority, and he used it to pass the ACA. After the 2010 midterms, he had no chance of passing real immigration reform with Majority Leader McConnell in the senate.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020