advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Traveling: may sound like a silly old lady but.....
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 14, 2020 09:17AM
Much has been publicized about traveling on planes, third seat, various safe means of travel during Covid. However one thing I heard but not mentioned again on TV was there his a large amount of Covid germs spread with flushing stools. I keep wondering about airport rest room and rest rooms on planes. Are they disinfected constantly? With or without a mask and hand washing public bathrooms seem so prone traveling. facepalm
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Traveling: may sound like a silly old lady but.....
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 14, 2020 09:23AM
There are only so many of us left Suzanne.

Grocery stores are far more contagion spreaders than most places, the way the contagion is rampantly spreading now -- I'd not go near an airport, school or a supermarket.
Date: November 14, 2020 09:28AM
PS: You must have seen the story of the attempt to launch a tourist junket from Barbados -- they got two days out found a number of cases and then had to reverse course and now even Barbados won't let them disembark.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 14, 2020 09:30AM
I think at this point it seems to mostly be a virus that spreads through the air - most of the info I’ve seen suggests that while it’s theoretically possible to pick it up off a surface, the actual risk of that is relatively low.

I’d be more concerned about virus suspended in the air of a small bathroom (like on an airplane), but supposedly the airplanes have pretty good ventilation with high-efficiency air filters these days.
Date: November 14, 2020 09:33AM
I’d be more concerned about virus suspended in the air of a small bathroom (like on an airplane), but supposedly the airplanes have pretty good ventilation with high-efficiency air filters these days.

Check it out and report back next month.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 14, 2020 09:56AM
pdq
I think at this point it seems to mostly be a virus that spreads through the air - most of the info I’ve seen suggests that while it’s theoretically possible to pick it up off a surface, the actual risk of that is relatively low.

I think this is also the case.
As long as you stay 6' away from people, both wear a mask, and are not near them for longer than 15 minutes, I think you are taking all the precautions you can, for day to day living.
In a hospital Covid ward with the virus all around, of course you would need more precautions and coverings and such.
It seems now that the major spread is people gathering inside homes and restaurants and bars without masks or distancing, and I think inside home gatherings with no masks and no distancing are the main places to be worried about now.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 14, 2020 10:00AM
Air on airplanes is only 10% recycled.

You are far higher risk from the Fox News watcher who cannot seem to wear his mask properly 3 feet from you than all other risks issues, combined.
Date: November 14, 2020 10:30AM
sekker

You are far higher risk from the Fox News watcher who cannot seem to wear his mask properly 3 feet from you than all other risks issues, combined.

We currently own a number of paid tickets to various destinations, tickets we will not be using in the foreseeable future. It's just not worth the risk. As much as we'd like some travel, we'd much prefer spending this Thanksgiving with the immediate family -- 11 year old Charlie would be thoroughly pissed off if he didn't have grandpa to trounce in (whatever board game we happened to be playing). He and his 15 year old brother Sam are still waiting for that first checkmate against the old man. They sometimes check Dad but so far I'm the one they want -- especially since I have so far outdistanced them in our family fantasy football league.

Like a longtime Patriot fan I expect this dominance will soon end.
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 14, 2020 10:40AM
If you're planning to visit your children in CA for Thanksgiving you should be aware of new travel rules that CA announced yesterday.

[www.cdph.ca.gov]

Travel Advisory for Non-Essential Travel [1]

1. Persons arriving in California from other states or countries, including returning California residents, should practice self-quarantine for 14 days after arrival. These persons should limit their interactions to their immediate household. This recommendation does not apply to individuals who cross state or country borders for essential travel. [2]
Date: November 14, 2020 11:23AM
Travel is risky, just not from general issues like airplane air quality. It's being around all sorts of people who are potential carriers (and many do not know it).

We decided earlier this year that we will be only traveling by car, and to very defined destinations. Even those trips are now out while the fall/winter pandemic exponentially grows.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 14, 2020 11:46AM
My best friend in New Mexico and wife both tested positive. She has some mild symptoms....there goes my vacation!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: November 14, 2020 11:49AM
Rolando
My best friend in New Mexico and wife both tested positive. She has some mild symptoms....there goes my vacation!

That someone's even thinking vacation lifts my spirits.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 14, 2020 12:22PM
Honestly the safest approach is to not travel until the world is vaccinated. Use the $ to send Amazon Echos or iPads to give you video call capability to your family and friends.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 14, 2020 12:36PM
RgrF
sekker

We currently own a number of paid tickets to various destinations, tickets we will not be using in the foreseeable future. It's just not worth the risk. As much as we'd like some travel, we'd much prefer spending this Thanksgiving with the immediate family -- 11 year old Charlie would be thoroughly pissed off if he didn't have grandpa to trounce in (whatever board game we happened to be playing). He and his 15 year old brother Sam are still waiting for that first checkmate against the old man. They sometimes check Dad but so far I'm the one they want -- especially since I have so far outdistanced them in our family fantasy football league.

Like a longtime Patriot fan I expect this dominance will soon end.

Heh Heh Heh. I bet Charlie and Sam are my brethren. Get him boys!
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 14, 2020 01:58PM
The concern about restrooms and toilets makes a + b +c sense to me, without verifying the connections.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 14, 2020 03:23PM
.....hold it in......or do what that astronaut lady did......adult diapers......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 14, 2020 08:20PM
cbelt3
Honestly the safest approach is to not travel until the world is vaccinated. Use the $ to send Amazon Echos or iPads to give you video call capability to your family and friends.

Not going to be possible for me. Might take another 2+ years before we see even 50% global vaccination in Western countries.

I will likely try to get two different vaccinations against different epitopes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020