advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
A GOP politician I could vote for
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 16, 2020 10:49AM
SoS from GA, Brad Raffensperger.

He is doing his job as a servant politician, in this case securing the election process.

"Truth matters. Integrity matters," he wrote.

[www.nbcnews.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A GOP politician I could vote for
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 16, 2020 11:46AM
.....leaves me....GOPsmacked......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davester
Date: November 16, 2020 11:59AM
The only GOP left is the party of Trump. Since this guy is obviously not supportive of that party, why is he still in the GOP? The old conservative GOP is dead. The new extremist plutocrat GOP is the one left standing.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 16, 2020 12:03PM
You know, this election has restored my faith in (a very small number of) Republicans.

I have been fond of saying that any Republican would vote for the devil himself if he had an “R” by his name. It seems that Cheeto was too much for at least a few, and I hereby recognize and commend them for that.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 16, 2020 12:08PM
davester
The only GOP left is the party of Trump. Since this guy is obviously not supportive of that party, why is he still in the GOP? The old conservative GOP is dead. The new extremist plutocrat GOP is the one left standing.

I told my husband that I don't see how he can stay in the Republican party after what they have done to and said about him, but he is a conservative and he said he did wish the vote had gone Trump's way, so I guess he will stay put. I like to think that he was a hold your nose and vote for Trump kind of guy, but even that is tough to agree with.
I did think, even when he was running, that he seemed like a decent guy and was a vast improvement over Brian Kemp, who he replaced. I don't remember him having obnoxious attack ads either, unlike most of the others in the state races back in 2018.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 16, 2020 12:12PM
The guy has been doing his job. He may not be like the typical GOP SoS but it is hard to pat him on the back much for simply doing what he is supposed to do. Of course, compared to Kemp, he’s a breath of fresh air.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 16, 2020 12:25PM
Speedy
The guy has been doing his job. He may not be like the typical GOP SoS but it is hard to pat him on the back much for simply doing what he is supposed to do. Of course, compared to Kemp, he’s a breath of fresh air.

I applaud people for doing their job - this is a bar that few politicians seem to be hitting these days.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 16, 2020 12:28PM
rgG
I told my husband that I don't see how he can stay in the Republican party after what they have done to and said about him, but he is a conservative...

I've heard this from a number of Trumpers, and I don't understand it at all. Trump is in no way, shape, or form, a conservative. He is a fascist, the opposite of a conservative. He took over the Republican party and most of the remaining conservatives in the party left and became either democrats or independents. Those remaining for the most part decided that they liked fascism more than conservatism or democracy. Joe Biden is much more of a conservative than Trump is.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2020 12:30PM by davester.
Date: November 16, 2020 01:20PM
davester
rgG
I told my husband that I don't see how he can stay in the Republican party after what they have done to and said about him, but he is a conservative...

I've heard this from a number of Trumpers, and I don't understand it at all. Trump is in no way, shape, or form, a conservative. He is a fascist, the opposite of a conservative. He took over the Republican party and most of the remaining conservatives in the party left and became either democrats or independents. Those remaining for the most part decided that they liked fascism more than conservatism or democracy. Joe Biden is much more of a conservative than Trump is.

I couldn't agree with you more. I also suspect that some, not many, of the people who stayed running as republicans in the GA election of 2018, for a state wide office, felt that was the only way they would win. Outside of metro areas, GA is still pretty red, so getting elected to a state wide office as a Dem was/is difficult.

Posted by: vision63
Date: November 16, 2020 02:13PM
There are two kinds of Republicans. Republicans and RINO's. RINO's have to emerge and take over the party.
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 16, 2020 04:28PM
They just need a different symbol to get behind rather than an elephant.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 16, 2020 04:56PM
Lindsey Graham has been pressuring the GA Sec of State to disqualify legal absentee votes. IOW openly commit fraud.

My mom is convinced that Trump has something on Graham that would end his career. Can't understand why else he'd act like this.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 16, 2020 05:40PM
Lemon Drop
My mom is convinced that Trump has something on Graham that would end his career. Can't understand why else he'd act like this.

Like he's new to being a suck-up?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 16, 2020 06:45PM
Lemon Drop
Lindsey Graham has been pressuring the GA Sec of State to disqualify legal absentee votes. IOW openly commit fraud.

Luckily, I think Raffensperger will ignore Lindsey.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 16, 2020 08:31PM
Lemon Drop

Seems like at an absolute minimum the Senate Ethics committee should start an investigation into what Graham did or didn't do. Even if for some reason what is claimed he did isn't illegal, it clearly crossed deep into unethical territory. Graham is chairman of the Judiciary Committee for goodness sakes.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 16, 2020 08:38PM
Ted King
Lemon Drop

Seems like at an absolute minimum the Senate Ethics committee should start an investigation into what Graham did or didn't do. Even if for some reason what is claimed he did isn't illegal, it clearly crossed deep into unethical territory. Graham is chairman of the Judiciary Committee for goodness sakes.

SOMETHING has gone down with him. He's changed so much.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 16, 2020 09:33PM
vision63
Ted King
Lemon Drop

Or SOMEONE.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 17, 2020 01:44PM
Speedy
vision63
Ted King
Lemon Drop

Or SOMEONE.

Ix-nay. Ix-nay.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020