advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Militia locked and loaded
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 16, 2020 12:32PM
On the Limbaugh program today a woman relayed how ready she was and the people in the DC March to form a legal militia guns and ready for bear. She actually said there are currently groups already formed.

This was predicted when the Orange god was elected. It sounds like coming to pass. The woman talked a long time on the Limbaugh program.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Militia locked and loaded
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 16, 2020 12:36PM
A “well-regulated militia” these are not.

Maybe I’m in a bubble, but I don’t see these clowns winning the support of the average American. Seems to that that the last thing anyone wants is that creepy guy down the block marching around with an assault rifle.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 16, 2020 12:37PM
Has she found a state yet where she's permitted to form a private legal militia?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 16, 2020 12:39PM
rjmacs
Has she found a state yet where she's permitted to form a private legal militia?

This. In other times, this language would be called another name - 'treason.'
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 16, 2020 12:41PM
....therein lies.....the danger......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 16, 2020 12:42PM
Every state and territory already has a legal militia, anyway. She can join the National Guard anywhere she wants.

rj
AKA
Posted by: davester
Date: November 16, 2020 03:38PM
sekker
rjmacs

This. In other times, this language would be called another name - 'treason.'

This was attempted previously. I think it had a name, something that rhymes with "Confederacy".

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 17, 2020 12:26AM
The "National Guard" as we know it today, was NOT formed until AFTER 1900. Prior to said official NG formation, various states did have "militia groups". Said states' militias were modeled after English Common Law dating back HUNDREDS of years where all adult males were required to be a part of "the militia" to the extent that said adult males even had to provide their own weapons (based on their station in life). old fogey smiley
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 17, 2020 01:51AM
So120 years ago militias (which didn't really exist at that time) became official and dubbed Guards - remind me, what year are we in now?

These self described armed groups need to be labeled for what they and that is NOT a state (or any other sort of) militia.
Date: November 17, 2020 09:28AM
testcase
The "National Guard" as we know it today, was NOT formed until AFTER 1900. Prior to said official NG formation, various states did have "militia groups". Said states' militias were modeled after English Common Law dating back HUNDREDS of years where all adult males were required to be a part of "the militia" to the extent that said adult males even had to provide their own weapons (based on their station in life). old fogey smiley

Thanks, that's interesting history.

But as RgrF pointed out, that model is now six score years out of date. And illegal.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 17, 2020 10:54AM
I doubt the founding fathers intended the militias to harass poll workers or storm state capitals over face masks.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 17, 2020 12:40PM
At the time of the Civil War, most of the army of both the North and South were state militias. Look at the history of the battles - you would have the 2nd volunteers of Maine battling the 3rd Georgia. There were less than 20,000 Federal troops in 1861, the battle of Shiloh in 1862 had 60,000 troops on just the union side.

It was not until later in the 19th century that the Federal Army became dominant.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 17, 2020 02:26PM
A a rag-tag group of good old boys pulled together to get a political point across like these guys do is nothing better than a mob that imposes it's will through force of numbers.

Calling them militia enhances their stature, it equates them with the mobs that routinely lynched black men throughout our history, if mob rule is what you want then voting Republican these days is often what you'll get.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020