advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
If the Senate splits 50/50 after GA, 'the Democratic half will represent 41,549,808 more people than the Republican half.'
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 16, 2020 03:28PM
This is why it's going to be so hard to flip the Senate - if ever.

[www.vox.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If the Senate splits 50/50 after GA, 'the Democratic half will represent 41,549,808 more people than the Republican half.'
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 16, 2020 03:40PM
Affirmative action for red states, if you will.

I get it that unequal state populations arguably presents problems for equitable representation, but the Senate's butcher has a 20-pound thumb on the scales.
Re: If the Senate splits 50/50 after GA, 'the Democratic half will represent 41,549,808 more people than the Republican half.'
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 16, 2020 06:13PM
Thems the rules. And that’s been the case since the founding so no use crying about it because nothing will ever be done about it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 16, 2020 06:37PM
Speedy
Thems the rules. And that’s been the case since the founding so no use crying about it because nothing will ever be done about it.

Not true. This is why PR and DC should be states. And it could lead to five Texas states down the road.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 16, 2020 11:38PM
sekker
...it could lead to five Texas states down the road.

Would that qualify as Balkanization?
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 17, 2020 09:04AM
sekker
Speedy

Not true. This is why PR and DC should be states. And it could lead to five Texas states down the road.

I see your five states of Texas and raise you the five states of The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 17, 2020 09:20AM
Acer
sekker
Speedy

I see your five states of Texas and raise you the five states of The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island.

And 10 of California.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 17, 2020 09:28AM
Lux Interior
Acer
sekker
Speedy

And 10 of California.
Date: November 17, 2020 09:29AM
10 California districts come out to a wash. 4 California areas might work.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 17, 2020 09:31AM
Welcome to Gerrymanderland!! wall smiley
Date: November 17, 2020 09:33AM
DeusxMac
Welcome to Gerrymanderland!! wall smiley

Democrats would do that? You Joke.
Date: November 17, 2020 11:47AM
Acer
sekker
Speedy

Fun to ponder.

The TX example is written in the Texas Constitution when admitted to the USofA. I still think there will be a pro-Texas politician that will run on 'completing' the process of entering the union and will result in 10 Senators from that current singular state.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 17, 2020 12:57PM
sekker
Speedy

The Blue states would never approve Texas being broken up just like Red states would never allow California to be split. DC and PR I believe have slightly better chances. Especially Puerto Rico. It already really is a state.
Date: November 17, 2020 01:16PM
Speedy

Yes sir. Not fully accepting the rules is why we lose when we lose. Not strategizing with the rules in mind gets you toasted.
Date: November 17, 2020 01:35PM
vision63
sekker
Speedy

The Blue states would never approve Texas being broken up just like Red states would never allow California to be split. DC and PR I believe have slightly better chances. Especially Puerto Rico. It already really is a state.

I don't think they have veto power over this. And the main reason to not do this is the GOP - if they did this, most estimates are that 7 or 8 of the resulting Senators would be blue...
Date: November 17, 2020 03:07PM
sekker
vision63
sekker
Speedy

I don't think they have veto power over this. And the main reason to not do this is the GOP - if they did this, most estimates are that 7 or 8 of the resulting Senators would be blue...

Right. But it's my understanding that it's a big difference admitting a territory as a state versus splitting an existing state into new states.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 17, 2020 03:13PM
vision63

Right. But it's my understanding that it's a big difference admitting a territory as a state versus splitting an existing state into new states.

Here's what the good old Constitution says:

Article IV, Section 3, Clause 1

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

Being a territory first is optional.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 17, 2020 03:24PM
rjmacs
vision63

Here's what the good old Constitution says:

Article IV, Section 3, Clause 1

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

Being a territory first is optional.

Yeah. That. It's virtually impossible to form a new state from within a state.

However, I do propose we figure out a way to combine Connecticut and Rhode Island. No reason for 2 Dakotas, it's just a handful of people in each state. Delaware, I'm looking at you Mr First State. There's no reason why you can't be Maryland. Arizona and New Mexico? They're the same damn place. AriNew. That'll work.
Date: November 17, 2020 03:31PM
Texas info:

Can Texas Divide Itself into Five Separate States?
Snopes says yes.
[www.snopes.com]

538 goes into why the GOP is against this:
[fivethirtyeight.com]
Date: November 17, 2020 03:52PM
vision63
sekker
vision63
sekker
Speedy

Massachuttes was once composed of the State we now call Maine, Virginia once was composed of itself and West Virginia, the history suggests that compromises may be possible, but that was done within a Congress that sought compromise -- the currant leader of the Senate seem to only to want surrender from the other side.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 17, 2020 04:21PM
sekker
Texas info:

Can Texas Divide Itself into Five Separate States?
Snopes says yes.
[www.snopes.com]

538 goes into why the GOP is against this:
[fivethirtyeight.com]

Splitting or combining states requires the approval of both houses of Congress and the state legislature(s) involved.

Texas would have to do it the same way as everyone else, no matter what Texas thinks.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 17, 2020 09:38PM
Join Wyoming, I-Duh-hoe, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, East Oregon, and NE California into one new state with 2 Senators.

Edit: and then turn most of it into a protected National Wildlands.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2020 09:40PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Date: November 19, 2020 09:35PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Join Wyoming, I-Duh-hoe, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, East Oregon, and NE California into one new state with 2 Senators.

That state would be poorer than Mississippi.
Date: November 19, 2020 10:03PM
vision63
Filliam H. Muffman

That state would be poorer than Mississippi.

Maybe, but with less history and it would be a lot less humid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020