advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
A lot can happen before 2024, but is it possible that we will see Trump vs Biden II?
Posted by: hal
Date: November 23, 2020 01:34PM
I'm seeing a lot of talk about how Trump is gonna 'freeze' the repub pool by dangling the possibility of another run in 2024. Even if he doesn't run, pretending to is likely his best play, but it's gotta be a nightmare for the ambitious GOPers who want their chance.

But what about Biden. Is he gonna want to be president as an 82yo? That seems crazy to me, but who knows? Should he step aside early in his term? Late? Not at all?

[edit - by 'step aside' I meant from consideration of the 2024 ticket - I don't see any need to resign before the end of his first term]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2020 05:20PM by hal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A lot can happen before 2024, but is it possible that we will see Trump vs Biden II?
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 23, 2020 01:40PM
I think there should be an age limit on Presidents. Something like 70 years old max, at time of inauguration.

It could be reduced to 69 and applied retroactively; perhaps we could take back the last 4 years.
Re: A lot can happen before 2024, but is it possible that we will see Trump vs Biden II?
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 23, 2020 01:50PM
No, The Orange Menace will have moved onto bigger and better grasses for his grazing, if he's still alive.

Whether his children will be in politics for generations to come, that scourge is likely a reality.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 23, 2020 02:00PM
Pres-elect Biden has already said he will only serve one term. Pres. Trump will run again - he loves the adulation. Even if he changes his mind in a few years because his parole hearing wasn’t successful, he’ll run until then just to bring in cash from the cult.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: November 23, 2020 02:05PM
I dunno. Seems like there could be someone smarter than Trump who will beat him at his own game. BAD news.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 23, 2020 02:22PM
I won't be entirely surprised if Joe steps aside before the end of his term to let Harris assume the presidency in time to run for election. It would be very unusual, but not illegitimate as a political move.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 23, 2020 02:50PM
Which Trump are we talking about?

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 23, 2020 03:45PM
Biden has not said if he will seek a second term or not. I doubt he would announce that for a couple of years into his 1st term. His campaign put those rumors to rest last December.

The grifter gravy train is gonna crash sooner than the Trumps realize, won't stop them from trying tho.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 23, 2020 03:47PM
Many decisions will be based on the 2022 midterm results.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 23, 2020 04:03PM
mikebw
I dunno. Seems like there could be someone smarter than Trump who will beat him at his own game. BAD news.

I think Nicky Haley (sp?) may have a shot at the Republican nomination. Daughter of immigrants, female, seemingly rational, etc. She has attributes that Republicans could use to claim how inclusive they are.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 23, 2020 04:33PM
Biden said he was a one term prez didn’t he?
Posted by: abevilac
Date: November 23, 2020 04:36PM
On Morning Joe this morning, Joe said that during Reagan people were saying that he would influence politics for generations to come...never another Democrat in the WH for decades, etc. his point was that once you leave office, your control over politics thins and we move on. He didn’t think any of the kids could muster the same “star power “ and he didn’t think that 2024 will happen for DT.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 23, 2020 04:56PM
samintx

No he did not
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 23, 2020 05:00PM
Back when I was a tyke,
Adlai Stevenson twice went toe to toe w/ Ike...
His third try might've been okay,
Had it not been for JFK,
After which he ne'er got back on the bike.

I don't think the world is ready to embrace the Spawn L'Orange political dynasty anytime soon.
==
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 23, 2020 05:16PM
Lemon Drop
samintx

No he did not

He's been wanting to be president for a long long long long long time. More power to him. The fact that he won while the rest of the Democratic Party gave up ground is a testament to his appeal.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 23, 2020 05:41PM
I think the 2024 nominees are going to be someone no one is discussing now. It has become apparent that having a record that can be criticized is a real handicap. I don't see Harris having the charisma to win.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 23, 2020 06:35PM
mikebw

There are pundits from both sides saying that, to the surprise on many, Don Jr. is showing flashes of being that very person. I’ve heard some not entirely unconvincing anecdotes.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 23, 2020 06:49PM
Totally a guess on my part - I don't think Trump will run again. I don't think he really wants to even if it were somehow plausible, which I think is doubtful. He will, though, want to get his money and his notoriety and he'll be free to create a social space where he will continue to be believed and followed and the money and notoriety will flow.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 23, 2020 09:09PM
I fully expect Trump to be drooling on himself and calling Melania “Ivana” by 2024.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 24, 2020 01:10AM
rjmacs
I won't be entirely surprised if Joe steps aside before the end of his term to let Harris assume the presidency in time to run for election. It would be very unusual, but not illegitimate as a political move.

I said so as well!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 24, 2020 01:21AM
Trump vs Biden II?

Don Jr vs Hunter?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 24, 2020 11:13AM
$tevie
I fully expect Trump to be drooling on himself and calling Melania “Ivana” by 2024.

Ivana, or Ivanka?

Eh, both.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 24, 2020 05:30PM
Lux Interior
$tevie

Ivana, or Ivanka?

Eh, both.
I meant "Ivana" because lots of people in dementia are quite clear about their long ago past. But yeah, it works either way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020