advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Tell me what I need to know, not what I want to know
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 24, 2020 12:21PM
What our President-elect says he expects from his cabinet members, being officially announced by him right now.

Refreshing maturity and wisdom. I could get used to this.

And yes the market is pretty excited about the Yellen pick. Mostly the vaccines, but she helps too.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tell me what I need to know, not what I want to know
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 24, 2020 12:34PM
Lemon Drop

I am feeling so relieved listening to Biden and the new cabinet members. What a difference from what we've had with Trump and his gang.

Great opening speech by Biden.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 24, 2020 12:36PM
Lemon Drop
What our President-elect says he expects from his cabinet members, being officially announced by him right now.

And yes the market is pretty excited about the Yellen pick. Mostly the vaccines, but she helps too.

I am loving the people he has chosen. They all seem eminently qualified, diverse, plenty of prior experience, folks who will all likely serve their full term in office... as compared to the revolving door that we've had for the last four years.

Edit: ditto what steve... said.

Edit2: curious why Joe didn't pick Al Gore for the climate position. I haven't been following it, so I'm sure there's a good reason.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2020 12:38PM by PeterB.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 24, 2020 12:49PM
I had a couple tears of joy…

=wr=
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 24, 2020 01:12PM
PeterB
Lemon Drop

I am loving the people he has chosen. They all seem eminently qualified, diverse, plenty of prior experience, folks who will all likely serve their full term in office... as compared to the revolving door that we've had for the last four years.

Edit: ditto what steve... said.

Edit2: curious why Joe didn't pick Al Gore for the climate position. I haven't been following it, so I'm sure there's a good reason.

For the climate czar I think he was primarily focused on restoring faith on th he world community that the US is committed again to addressing the climate crisis. Kerry seems like a good fit for that.
I'm hoping gov inslee gets the Energy sec spot.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 24, 2020 01:15PM
PeterB

Al Gore is a great guy, but he's been out of the government game for twenty years. Kerry was America's chief envoy to the world just four years ago, and I suspect that Biden wants someone who already has relationships around the globe with world leaders to leverage. Remember - he was our top diplomat when we joined the Paris Agreement, which we'll be rejoining at the end of January.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 24, 2020 01:22PM
Yes, I realize Al Gore has been out of the game for quite awhile, and Kerry is very well respected.

Anyone think Joe might pick a Republican for any spot? That might be a way to get at least some of the Republicans on board, giving the more sane ones of them an "out" for following OD or if they didn't follow OD in the first place. [www.politico.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2020 01:23PM by PeterB.
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 24, 2020 01:27PM
PeterB
Anyone think Joe might pick a Republican for any spot?

Mitch McConnell and Lindsey Graham as ambassadors to Siberia.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 24, 2020 01:32PM
PeterB
Yes, I realize Al Gore has been out of the game for quite awhile, and Kerry is very well respected.

Anyone think Joe might pick a Republican for any spot? That might be a way to get at least some of the Republicans on board, giving the more sane ones of them an "out" for following OD or if they didn't follow OD in the first place. [www.politico.com]

I doubt it, because he's already walking a tightrope with the progressive wing of his own party, and the only Republicans worth their salt won't help at all with bipartisanship. The GOP remains the party of the current president, and appointing one of their ilk would be insanity. Sure, he could throw John Kasich a bone and give him some post, but will that actually bring any other elected Republicans closer to compromise? Kasich couldn't get elected dog catcher in Ohio these days, at least not running as a Republican.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 24, 2020 01:46PM
GGD
PeterB
Anyone think Joe might pick a Republican for any spot?

Mitch McConnell and Lindsey Graham as ambassadors to Siberia.

Actually, I was thinking of: Charlie Baker, John Kasich, or... if he can convince one of them to break ranks, Pat Toomey, Susan Collins, and Mitt Romney. It's not unheard of for the incoming Prez to reach across the aisle for at least one cabinet position. Yes, it's walking a tightrope, but... think about what would happen if he were to successfully nominate a Republican Senator.

Posted by: bfd
Date: November 24, 2020 03:57PM
Lemon Drop

Along with other glass ceilings being broken this week the DJI broke the 30,000 ceiling today. wiggle smiley

The economy is not the stock market, but it still indicates the level of willingness to invest in the future.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 24, 2020 04:05PM
I think Kasich would be a good voice on his cabinet.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 24, 2020 05:05PM
Susan Collins should stay in the Senate just in case she ever decides to listen to her long-suffering conscience.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: hal
Date: November 24, 2020 05:34PM
Ammo
Susan Collins should stay in the Senate just in case she ever decides to listen to her long-suffering conscience.

screw that - let her suffer in the cabinet and she can be replaced by a DEM by her dem gov.
Date: November 24, 2020 09:42PM
hal
Ammo

screw that - let her suffer in the cabinet and she can be replaced by a DEM by her dem gov.

Exactly. If Joe can get rid of a Republican Senate seat at the same time he builds bridges, all the better.

Posted by: vision63
Date: November 25, 2020 02:08AM
rjmacs
PeterB

I doubt it, because he's already walking a tightrope with the progressive wing of his own party, and the only Republicans worth their salt won't help at all with bipartisanship. The GOP remains the party of the current president, and appointing one of their ilk would be insanity. Sure, he could throw John Kasich a bone and give him some post, but will that actually bring any other elected Republicans closer to compromise? Kasich couldn't get elected dog catcher in Ohio these days, at least not running as a Republican.

I'm fairly confident he'll keep Christopher Wray as FBI chief.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 25, 2020 07:55AM
Biden says he's considering a Trump voting Repub for his Cabinet.

Will be interesting to see who he finds, that would not be Kasich.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020