advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Trump campaign sued for attempting to disenfranchise Black voters
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 25, 2020 08:07AM
[www.aol.com]

The Trump campaign has repeatedly attempted to use the judicial system to overturn the president’s defeat to President-elect Joe Biden, filing more than two dozen unsuccessful lawsuits since Election Day.

But the president’s campaign now finds itself on the other side of a legal case in a newly filed federal lawsuit alleging that it violated the Voting Rights Act of 1965 when it sought to “disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of voters,” particularly African Americans in metropolitan areas of Michigan.

“It’s not even about the success of President Trump and the Trump campaign’s attempts to overturn the election,” Monique Lin-Luse, assistant counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, which filed the lawsuit, told Yahoo News. “The very attempt ... to overturn it by disenfranchising and de-legitimizing Black voters is what we believe is unlawful, and it's also dangerous and corrosive to our democracy.”

The lawsuit, filed Friday in a Washington, D.C., federal court, was brought on behalf of the Michigan Welfare Rights Organization and three Detroit residents over Trump’s apparent efforts to sway local officials in Wayne County, Mich., and state legislators to hold off on certifying votes or interfere in the electoral process.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trump campaign sued for attempting to disenfranchise Black voters
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 25, 2020 08:17AM
......OMG....he should name his next child.....Sue.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 25, 2020 08:55AM
And this is why if you demand a recount, it needs to be for an entire state.

The Trump lawsuit was EXACTLY about trying to disenfranchise MI black voters.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 25, 2020 09:50AM
How are they going to prove intent, unless they have a smoking gun recording or text saying they wanna suppress a particular area due to race?

To me the threat is more broad and more dangerous than race. The DNC or some such should be doing this, because it’s likely easier to prove the Trump campaign cared more to knock off Democrat votes overall.

Now the NAACP has to somehow prove the assumption “everybody knows Black folk vote for the Democrat” is true.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 25, 2020 10:06AM
deckeda
How are they going to prove intent, unless they have a smoking gun recording or text saying they wanna suppress a particular area due to race?

To me the threat is more broad and more dangerous than race. The DNC or some such should be doing this, because it’s likely easier to prove the Trump campaign cared more to knock off Democrat votes overall.

Now the NAACP has to somehow prove the assumption “everybody knows Black folk vote for the Democrat” is true.

I don't know, DNC suing would be under other laws. There are specific laws such as the Voting Rights Act against discrimination based on race, as far as I know there are no similar protections against discrimination based on party.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 25, 2020 10:09AM
The cure to a civil lawsuit is money. They re suing a campaign organization the will be a mere shell, probably even dissolved by the time it gets to court. In addition, Trump is far more experienced with the use and abuse of bankruptcy law than these lawyers will ever be.
Posted by: Janit
Date: November 25, 2020 10:31AM
RgrF
The cure to a civil lawsuit is money. They re suing a campaign organization the will be a mere shell, probably even dissolved by the time it gets to court. In addition, Trump is far more experienced with the use and abuse of bankruptcy law than these lawyers will ever be.

It is political theater, but I imagine they think it is worth making their point by suing at all.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 25, 2020 12:11PM
Janit
RgrF

It is political theater, but I imagine they think it is worth making their point by suing at all.

No, it's important that we get this set as legal precedent.

There will be someone to follow His Orangeness who will be more competent. We need to protect our democracy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020