advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Biden replacing Redfield as head of the CDC
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 06, 2020 08:15PM
Meet Rochelle Walensky, professor at Harvard medical school and Chief of Infectious Disease at Mass General. Also Chair of the Office of AIDS Research Advisory Council (NIH) and a member of the US Department of Health and Human Services Panel on Antiretroviral Guidelines for Adults and Adolescents.

Yes, Redfield was in an impossible position. That doesn't make the troubled history of the CDC over the pandemic and indeed over the past 4 years go away.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Biden replacing Redfield as head of the CDC
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 06, 2020 08:26PM
Big improvement.
It's beyond sickening to go back to March and see what Redfield was saying. Worst sycophant ever.
Posted by: August West
Date: December 06, 2020 08:38PM
I almost kicked in Boston once, while visiting from LA, and I have a very positive view of Mass General, Harvard/Deaconess, and the Boston medical community.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 06, 2020 08:56PM
Mass General has always been the benchmark of what a great teaching hospital could be.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: December 06, 2020 09:57PM
I saw of a video clip once of Trump making a nasty partisan comment about someone and noticed Redfield yuking it up. Right then I knew I didn’t like him.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 07, 2020 08:53AM
Huh. Oddly enough, this pick based on science and competency is getting some praise:

Jen Kates, senior vice president and director of global health and HIV policy at the Kaiser Family Foundation, called Walensky, who is also a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School, one of the “most respected infectious disease docs in the world” who has “become a tour de force in addressing COVID.”

... Julia Marcus, an infectious-disease epidemiologist and assistant professor in the department of population medicine at Harvard Medical School, wrote that the announcement “sent me into a sort of public health euphoria.”

...“She will immediately built back trust in the CDC and help people understand what they really need to know,” wrote Dara Kass, an emergency medicine physician and associate professor of emergency medicine at Columbia University Medical Center. “Science is back.

Funny what happens when you value smarts and competency over political fealty; in fact, I’d be willing to bet a six pack this pick was not based on previous Fox News appearances.
Posted by: Janit
Date: December 07, 2020 09:54AM
RgrF
Mass General has always been the benchmark of what a great teaching hospital could be.

MGH is terrific if your medical issue is located on the cutting edge, but not so great if your case is unexciting and requires communication and bedside manner. Fortunately for the locals, Boston has many other excellent hospitals that have mastered the latter.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 07, 2020 01:07PM
Janit
RgrF

MGH is terrific if your medical issue is located on the cutting edge, but not so great if your case is unexciting and requires communication and bedside manner. Fortunately for the locals, Boston has many other excellent hospitals that have mastered the latter.

I didn't want to make a comment, but speaking as someone who worked at MGH for a number of years -- they have simply gotten too big, trying to do everything, which oftentimes results in doing any one particular thing not particularly well. I saw all manner of terrible behavior of staff there.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 07, 2020 08:25PM
Charles Emerson Winchester III was in residency there. That's good enough for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020