advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Dump threatens to fire FDA chief if he doesn't approve vaccine
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 11, 2020 06:46PM
[www.vanityfair.com]

... just what we need, Loser-in-Chief putting pressure on the head, threatening his job, if the vaccine isn't approved by the end of the day TODAY. Remember, this vaccine is the fastest ever produced in human history, and know nothing yet about long-term risks or consequences. Oh, and one of the panelists did bring up the issue of how this vaccine might have issues in teenagers: [thehill.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dump threatens to fire FDA chief if he doesn't approve vaccine
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 11, 2020 08:24PM
Date: December 11, 2020 10:01PM
More info:

"But while the vaccine enterprise has been impressive, its credibility has been repeatedly threatened by Trump, who for months pressured the FDA to authorize a vaccine before Election Day and, when that did not happen, bitterly accused the agency and Pfizer of deliberately orchestrating delays to harm his reelection prospects. On Friday, he continued his criticism on Twitter, calling the agency “a big, old, slow turtle,” adding, “Get the dam vaccines out NOW.”

The White House maneuvers seemed designed to ensure Trump gets credit just as the vaccine crosses the finish line. But experts said his behavior risked undermining public confidence — not because it would force a vaccine through prematurely but because it could create the appearance that politics, not science, drove the decision.

“There was no plausible way the FDA would not authorize this vaccine … but this makes it appear [their decision] is politically motivated,” said Dorit Reiss, a professor of law who writes about vaccine policy at the University of California Hastings College of the Law. “Making it appear there was political pressure will undermine trust.”

Hahn, in a statement Friday, dismissed reports that his job was threatened. “This is an untrue representation of the phone call with the Chief of Staff,” he said. “The FDA was encouraged to continue working expeditiously on Pfizer-BioNTech’s EUA request. FDA is committed to issuing this authorization quickly, as we noted in our statement this morning.”

The White House said in an email that “we don’t comment on private conversations, but the Chief regularly requests updates on progress toward a vaccine.”

The political machinations are in sharp contrast to the impressive scientific achievement of producing a vaccine in record time. The Pfizer-BioNTech product, and the one right on its heels, from biotechnology company Moderna, use a snippet of genetic material encapsulated in a fat bubble to instruct cells to build the spiky proteins that dot the coronavirus. These shots will be the first time the genetic technology has been used in people outside clinical trials."

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: pdq
Date: December 12, 2020 08:33AM
PeterB

The White House maneuvers seemed designed to ensure Trump gets credit just as the vaccine crosses the finish line.

That’s my take too - he just had to show the Deplorables that he was pushing it through, even though he likely knew it would be approved the next day (today).

PeterB
But experts said his behavior risked undermining public confidence — not because it would force a vaccine through prematurely but because it could create the appearance that politics, not science, drove the decision.

“There was no plausible way the FDA would not authorize this vaccine … but this makes it appear [their decision] is politically motivated,”...

Yup. Sure does. For the sake of a few hours, and a preening narcissist’s ego.

PeterB
Hahn [said]“The FDA was encouraged to continue working expeditiously...

smiley-laughing001
Yeah, I bet those were Trump’s/Meadow’s exact words.
smiley-laughing001

PeterB
These shots will be the first time the genetic technology has been used in people outside clinical trials.

Indeed. I hope there are no...umm...unforeseen consequences of using such a novel vaccine on a extended test group of hundreds of millions of people worldwide. As it turns out, I’m towards the back of the proposed line, so I have some time to decide if I’ll be part of such a group.
Date: December 12, 2020 08:41AM
I myself am in Groups 1B / 1C to get vaccinated, but I am really tempted to see if my doctor thinks it's wise for me to hold off on getting it until we can see what effect(s) it has on people with my particular issue ... since we weren't included in any of the clinical trials. I think the concern about administering to the 16 year olds and pregnant women is justified... we just don't have enough data for those two groups either.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 12, 2020 09:06AM
.....Trump is just bully.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 12, 2020 11:32AM
NewtonMP2100
.....Trump is just bully.........

you are too kind.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020