AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Robert E. Lee statue removed from US Capitol
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 21, 2020 09:44AM
Remove ALL the traitors from D.C.

Robert E. Lee statue removed from US Capitol
[thehill.com]
A statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee was removed from the U.S. Capitol overnight.

The statue has stood with America's first president, George Washington, as the state of Virginia's contribution to the National Statuary Hall Collection at the Capitol for more than 100 years.

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, a Democrat, announced on Monday the state will seek to have it replaced with a statue of civil rights icon Barbara Johns.

-

Earlier this year, a state commission recommended the removal of the statue from the Capitol. The commission, led by state Sen. Louise Lucas (D), voted unanimously to remove it.

“Confederate images do not represent who we are in Virginia, that’s why we voted unanimously to remove this statue,” Lucas said in a statement. “I am thrilled that this day has finally arrived, and I thank Governor Northam and the Commission for their transformative work.”

The statue will be transported to the Virginia Museum of History and Culture in Richmond, Northam's office said.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Robert E. Lee statue removed from US Capitol
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 21, 2020 11:10AM
Good!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 21, 2020 11:50AM
Should've never been put there.

Grateful11
Date: December 21, 2020 11:56AM
Grateful11
Should've never been put there.

100 years ago, the K-lan was riding high, marching in D.C. and rampaging around the South (if not the rest of the country). Their popularity was extensive and violent. That's why the Lee and others got statues all over the place.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 21, 2020 12:42PM
K-lan is still alive and well in Michigan.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 21, 2020 12:52PM
A statue of Robert E Lee in the Capitol is akin to Germany having statues of Hermann Goring and Heinrich Himmler in front of the Bundestag.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: hal
Date: December 21, 2020 01:05PM
As the Band once sang... "There goes Robert E Lee..."
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 21, 2020 02:01PM

K-lan types sure love their "participation" trophies.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: December 22, 2020 01:28AM
hal
As the Band once sang... "There goes Robert E Lee..."

Now I have always heard very clearly the lyric*, "Virgil, quick come see – there goes the Robert E. Lee!" meaning the first side-wheel steamboat named Robert E. Lee, which I think still holds some sort of speed record for racing from New Orleans to St. Louis. To me, that makes the most sense to the story of the song. But others dispute this...

Sorry for the non-sequitur. Yes, it's way past time, statues-be-gone.

*in the Band's live performances – for instance The Last Waltz.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 22, 2020 02:18AM
No Confederate here but can't help but admit, this is a really great song especially when originally done by The Band and later by Joan Baez
Posted by: hal
Date: December 22, 2020 03:54PM
RgrF
No Confederate here but can't help but admit, this is a really great song especially when originally done by The Band and later by Joan Baez

That's my hill to die on... if they come after this song saying that it should be banned from airplay, I WILL FIGHT!
Date: December 22, 2020 08:17PM
A-Polly has it right. The Robert E. Lee is name of a riverboat. So the song is just fine.
(as someone who played the song 100's of times, I assure you "the" robert e lee is the correct lyric.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020