advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Bets on what will happen at 11:59 Jan 20
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 26, 2020 09:48AM
I bet his Orangeness will release something to take away from Biden’s presidential headline. He will pardon himself or has thought up some other headline grabbing announcement.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bets on what will happen at 11:59 Jan 20
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 26, 2020 11:17AM
Only his base will care, at least that is how I feel.
I am sure he will try to do something, but I seriously hope the "main stream media" gives it little more than a passing mention, if even that.
They have to look away from the Dumpster fire that he is.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: December 26, 2020 11:31AM
It is a curious question, because for T to engage in some stunt would be to concede, however indirectly, that he had lost the election. But perhaps you. are right, and he will give his own inaugural speech down in Florida to a loyal crowd. Who was that guy who ran for president every time for 30 years, and never got the nomination -- Wilkie, or somebody like that? T would be in danger of becoming that person.
Date: December 26, 2020 11:32AM
PS: The pardons are already speaking louder than any Trump speech that he knows that he is gone.
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 26, 2020 11:44AM
If he waits to the last minute, given his administrations track record, it's quite possible that they'll screw something up and miss the cutoff, and he won't be POTUS when whatever it is gets finalized.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: December 26, 2020 11:55AM
Legit question.

Has Trump ever during his administration done the rational, mature thing, rather than actually just get crazier and more petulant?

Based on that as my impression of his pattern of behavior, and this being his last hurrah being the monkey with the machine gun, I cannot help but suspect that it very well may be truly over the top.

Something along the lines of a call for a ‘day of’ march on DC by all his patriots who have been “standing by” waiting for the moment to act (Yes, I was only half kidding during that plane flight drama post). Probably from the safety of Mar-a-Lago.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 26, 2020 12:16PM
maybe he is not even acknowledging there is an inauguration happening at the Capitol and he stays in the White House.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 26, 2020 01:27PM
Ca Bob
Who was that guy who ran for president every time for 30 years, and never got the nomination -- Wilkie, or somebody like that? T would be in danger of becoming that person.

You’re probably thinking of Harold Stassen...

“Stassen ran for Republican nomination for President of the United States in 1944, 1948, 1952, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988, and 1992. His 1948 and 1952 campaigns saw him run competitively, whilst his other candidacy saw him make little impact, being regarded as a perennial candidate.”
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 26, 2020 01:34PM
Possibly the worse case would have him attend the inauguration, then stand up to object, forcing someone to remove him. It would be impossible to ignore and the visual of him being wrestled off the podium would create a visual that the base would hold up as a banner and put Biden on the defensive from day one.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 26, 2020 01:37PM
I can't wait for that day, regardless of what three-ring sad clown side show 45 puts on for his followers.

He's tweeted "see you in DC on jan. 6" so he wants us to know he is coming back. But nothing about plans for leaving. Also hate-tweeted at Justice and FBI, at fashion magazines for not putting Melania on their covers, at Congress for everything, and at twitter's relentless tagging of his bogus election fraud claims.

Same old.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 26, 2020 01:59PM
I REALLY DON'T CARE DO U?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: hal
Date: December 26, 2020 02:00PM
Ombligo
Possibly the worse case would have him attend the inauguration, then stand up to object, forcing someone to remove him. It would be impossible to ignore and the visual of him being wrestled off the podium would create a visual that the base would hold up as a banner and put Biden on the defensive from day one.

NO WAY! The best way to look like a weak loser is to be dragged off in public. He will never allow that scene to take place.

25 days
Date: December 26, 2020 02:53PM
So, when a president leaves the WH, what are the logistic/time line for getting their things out?
It would be interesting if the press would tell us how that works, so they could point to something like, the Three Men and A Truck vehicles have pulled up to the loading dock at the back of the WH, or something like that.

Posted by: hal
Date: December 26, 2020 03:09PM

(my favorite is the empty koolaid pitcher)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2020 03:10PM by hal.
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 26, 2020 03:19PM
Ca Bob
It is a curious question, because for T to engage in some stunt would be to concede, however indirectly, that he had lost the election. But perhaps you. are right, and he will give his own inaugural speech down in Florida to a loyal crowd. Who was that guy who ran for president every time for 30 years, and never got the nomination -- Wilkie, or somebody like that? T would be in danger of becoming that person.

Harold Edward Stassen (April 13, 1907 – March 4, 2001) was an American politician who was the 25th Governor of Minnesota. He was a leading candidate for the Republican nomination for President of the United States in 1948, considered for a time to be the front-runner.

He ran coveralls times and never mad it. SORRY DIDNT SEE THE STASSEN POST

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2020 03:22PM by samintx.
Date: December 26, 2020 04:13PM
Right. Stassen. I remember the news commentators mentioning him as a joke.
Date: December 26, 2020 05:52PM
samintx
He ran coveralls times and never mad it.

Very humorous auto-correct. smiling smiley
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 26, 2020 06:44PM
samintx
Bets on what will happen at 11:59 Jan 20

He'll be surrounded and taken away by U.S. marshalls because Melania set his watch back 5 minutes, running him out of time to do anything.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 26, 2020 06:49PM
We gotta successfully get past Jan 6th first....
==
Posted by: PeterB
Date: December 26, 2020 06:51PM
rgG
So, when a president leaves the WH, what are the logistic/time line for getting their things out?
It would be interesting if the press would tell us how that works, so they could point to something like, the Three Men and A Truck vehicles have pulled up to the loading dock at the back of the WH, or something like that.

One assumes that he would have to vacate prior to 1/20, and it'd probably take at least some number of days, potentially up to a week, for him to move all his stuff out, burn/shred all the important documents, and change all the passwords.

As for what Dump's plans are for 1/20 ... here are a few scenarios:

1) Don't attend the inauguration, and announce his 2024 campaign: [www.nbcnews.com]

2) Get the Proud Boys to disrupt the inauguration: [www.news.com.au]

3) Widespread violence on the streets ... one of many possible scenarios: [www.vox.com]

... none of the above are mutually exclusive, and also I think a lot of it depends on what happens on 1/6.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2020 06:52PM by PeterB.
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 26, 2020 10:07PM
From some readings, it sounds like all hands on deck at the WH on the 20th, and it takes them just a few hours to make the changes. This makes sense if you think about how quickly a cruise ship turns around - they have just a few hours to get rid of thousands of passengers and set up for another few thousand, but everybody is on duty on turnaround days.

Since there are no furnishings to be moved - or presumably very few - it's mostly personal property, clothes, etc. Once the new First Family moves in, they can decide on the furniture that stays or leaves.

One big question is, will simply changing the sheets on Donald's bed really make it feel clean enough?

If Donald and/or any family is still in the WH on the 20th, they'll be gone by the afternoon.
Date: December 26, 2020 10:17PM
Maybe he'll go out OJ style for the TV ratings. A low speed police chase from the WH to Mar a Lago, with fans out on the highways cheering him on.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 26, 2020 10:21PM
bfd
One big question is, will simply changing the sheets on Donald's bed really make it feel clean enough?

The Smithsonian will take it and sterilize it and encase it in plastic somewhere.

Posted by: vision63
Date: December 26, 2020 10:40PM
He'll need a separate wardrobe for his red ties. Baron's inheritance ties.
Date: December 26, 2020 10:46PM
Sarcany
bfd

The Smithsonian will take it and sterilize it and encase it in plastic somewhere.

Just spitballing here, but it would solve a number of problems if this could be done on, say, the wee hours of the eighteenth or nineteenth, while he’s still in it.

True, it would raise certain ‘issues’, but I think most of those would be, shall we say, “negligible”?

I strongly suspect Melania would sign off on it.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 26, 2020 11:07PM
He just needs to pack up his ___ and get the ___ out.
Date: December 26, 2020 11:46PM
If he signs the latest Covid relief bill, it extends the eviction moratorium. He might cite that to claim that he can stay in the WH.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 27, 2020 10:11AM
DeusxMac
Ca Bob
Who was that guy who ran for president every time for 30 years, and never got the nomination -- Wilkie, or somebody like that? T would be in danger of becoming that person.

You’re probably thinking of Harold Stassen...

“Stassen ran for Republican nomination for President of the United States in 1944, 1948, 1952, 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1988, and 1992. His 1948 and 1952 campaigns saw him run competitively, whilst his other candidacy saw him make little impact, being regarded as a perennial candidate.”

You’re probably thinking of: Pat Paulsen.........

[en.wikipedia.org]
Date: December 27, 2020 11:45AM
GGD
If he signs the latest Covid relief bill, it extends the eviction moratorium. He might cite that to claim that he can stay in the WH.

I was thinking about that, too. Lol

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 28, 2020 03:49PM
Even if it doesn't ultimately work to preserve his presidency, I wouldn't be suprised if he did something ridiculous just to shit all over Biden's inauguration.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: December 28, 2020 05:11PM
rjmacs
Even if it doesn't ultimately work to preserve his presidency, I wouldn't be suprised if he did something ridiculous just to shit all over Biden's inauguration.

It certainly wouldn’t be surprising, but I wonder if we’ve reached a point where almost anything he would do would just end up being seen as the final rotten cherry on top acting as an exclamation point to exactly why, despit all his machinations and desperate failings the country was flooded with votes saying they wanted not another single day of his sh*tshow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020