advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Do we need a big inauguration?
Posted by: p8712
Date: January 09, 2021 04:19PM
I get the pomp and circumstance is somewhat necessary. But can’t we just have an LBJ on Air Force One kind of deal this time. Which seem to be much better for security and Covid. Couldn’t Biden, the chief justice of the Supreme Court, and a few reporters get it done in a McDonald’s parking lot off the Virginia turnpike? Ten minutes max. Would honestly seem to be safer and quicker than what is planned.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do we need a big inauguration?
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 09, 2021 04:22PM
I was thinking about that, too.
I agree that it should be small, because of Covid, but you also can’t let these D bags make us change our lives.
Just like after 9/11, you can’t let the terrorists win.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 09, 2021 04:22PM
It will be an abbreviated ceremony outside with no parade or big inaugural parties/balls afterward.

Biden and Harris don't want to concede the Capitol grounds, especially now, because it would signal a capitulation to the insurrectionists. It's part of Joe's plan to deliver a good inaugural address to the nation and try to move us forward.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: January 09, 2021 04:25PM
rgG
I agree that it should be small, because of Covid, but you also can’t let these D bags make us change our lives.

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t equate not poking the bear with letting the terrorists win. I might advertise beforehand that Harris would be sworn in somewhere else in DC, or another part of the country so even if they pull something they will just have to deal with President Harris. Probably not enough to deter them though.
Date: January 09, 2021 04:34PM
p8712
rgG

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t equate not poking the bear with letting the terrorists win. I might advertise beforehand that Harris would be sworn in somewhere else in DC, or another part of the country so even if they pull something they will just have to deal with President Harris. Probably not enough to deter them though.

It would be the optics of having the new administration acting like they are afraid to be in Washington for an already scheduled event. I don’t see how this wouldn’t make them look weak and afraid. Would it be the most pragmatic thing, yes, but it wouldn’t send a good message either.
These people should not be dictating how any of us act on any level.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 09, 2021 04:38PM
Funny thing.... armed sharpshooters are distributed anywhere the President goes out in public. Any armed protestor will find themselves DRT.

(Dead Right There).
rgG
p8712
rgG

It would be the optics of having the new administration acting like they are afraid to be in Washington for an already scheduled event. I don’t see how this wouldn’t make them look weak and afraid. Would it be the most pragmatic thing, yes, but it wouldn’t send a good message either.
These people should not be dictating how any of us act on any level.

I am very afraid of them. And I remember arguments similar to yours about 20 years ago. The terrorists still won.
Posted by: Sarcany
p8712
I get the pomp and circumstance is somewhat necessary. But can’t we just have an LBJ on Air Force One kind of deal this time. Which seem to be much better for security and Covid. Couldn’t Biden, the chief justice of the Supreme Court, and a few reporters get it done in a McDonald’s parking lot off the Virginia turnpike? Ten minutes max. Would honestly seem to be safer and quicker than what is planned.

I think that we need the world's biggest noisiest party with an open bar.

And what we're gonna get is a fairly intimate ceremony with attendees spaced far apart and protesters kept far away. And some violence in DC and around various state-houses and courthouses, including probably a few pipe-bombs.

And somewhat later, there will be a few parties and meet-ups in and around DC, but few ballroom shindigs of the like we've seen after previous inaugurations.

...I hope he gets his big cake.

Date: January 09, 2021 04:40PM
cbelt3
Funny thing.... armed sharpshooters are distributed anywhere the President goes out in public. Any armed protestor will find themselves DRT.

(Dead Right There).

Have you seen the new video out of the woman storming the capital who was shot. How disturbing number of those sharpshooters and security people stepped aside and, a lot of them were told not to act. It seems like a few that didn’t get the memo or didn’t follow orders are the ones that saved our government. It makes me nervous to wonder how many Trump loyalists are sharpshooters that should be guarding Biden. Certainly not all. Enough to make a difference, who knows? We’re going to have to do the biggest clean out and deep programming event in human history To sort this all out.
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 09, 2021 04:59PM
I want a private video secret place ceremony. I am fearful.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 09, 2021 05:07PM
I'm with p8712.
Date: January 09, 2021 05:31PM
What type of a message does it send to everyone around the world if the new President of the US cowers in an underground bunker for his inauguration?
You have to stand up to these bullies. This is why we are where we are right now, no one stood up to them.
If the US military and SS can't protect the Inauguration, then we are in deep **** and need to resign from any positions of authority.
True Americans don't let their freedom of assembly be taken away by thugs and insurrectionists. We elected Biden, he should and will have his public inauguration.
Don't cower before a bully.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 09, 2021 05:41PM
rgG, agree completely. Take it back and take it back now.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 09, 2021 05:44PM
rgG
What type of a message does it send to everyone around the world if the new President of the US cowers in an underground bunker for his inauguration?
You have to stand up to these bullies. This is why we are where we are right now, no one stood up to them.
If the US military and SS can't protect the Inauguration, then we are in deep **** and need to resign from any positions of authority.
True Americans don't let their freedom of assembly be taken away by thugs and insurrectionists. We elected Biden, he should and will have his public inauguration.

That's right!
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: January 09, 2021 05:48PM
I'm also with p8712 on this one.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 09, 2021 05:53PM
Did I miss the announcement of the eradication of COVID-19 amongst all the news stories reporting on the January 6th insurrection?
Date: January 09, 2021 05:54PM
DeusxMac
Did I miss the announcement of the eradication of COVID-19 amongst all the news stories reporting on the January 6th insurrection?

It's entirely possible to safely distance and fully mask up.
Date: January 09, 2021 06:01PM
vision63
DeusxMac

It's entirely possible to safely distance and fully mask up.

Yes. It was always supposed to be a small outdoor socially distanced affair, as it should be.
If you can have people in a stadium watching a football game, you can have a small outdoor ceremony. Outside is the safest place to have it.

Date: January 09, 2021 06:08PM
I am not advocating rubbing anyone’s face in the fact that their guy lost, but you also don’t cancel because of intimidation.
This may be the reason t**** isn’t showing up. He is afraid there might actually be violence. Could also be his way of telling his mindless minions to wreak havoc, without the fear of hurting him.
The real reason is he isnt there is that he is a petulant bully who can’t stand the thought that someone else is the center of attention.

Date: January 09, 2021 06:22PM
rgG

As someone who was relentlessly bullied in childhood, engaging never works. You either avoid, or perhaps give an overwhelming blow. Unless Biden is planning on nuking Washington DC I don’t think I show of strength is particularly viable.

I looked up one of my childhood bullies on the Internet. I found he had a crappy life, many arrests and drug issues, and was arrested for pushing an 85-year-old man out of a wheelchair so he could rob him. Life took care of him when I could not. Life, the judicial system, implementation of helpful liberal policies, and a return of sanity might help take care of some of this.

Lincoln didn’t exactly invite members of the confederacy to his speeches. There was still plenty of strength.
Date: January 09, 2021 06:29PM
p8712
rgG

As someone who was relentlessly bullied in childhood, engaging never works. You either avoid, or perhaps give an overwhelming blow. Unless Biden is planning on nuking Washington DC I don’t think I show of strength is particularly viable.

I looked up one of my childhood bullies on the Internet. I found he had a crappy life, many arrests and drug issues, and was arrested for pushing an 85-year-old man out of a wheelchair so he could rob him. Life took care of him when I could not. Life, the judicial system, implementation of helpful liberal policies, and a return of sanity might help take care of some of this.

Lincoln didn’t exactly invite members of the confederacy to his speeches. There was still plenty of strength.

I wish I was there to help you with those bullies.
Date: January 09, 2021 06:39PM
vision63
p8712
rgG

I wish I was there to help you with those bullies.

You are a kind person. Bullying is just part of life, and was handled differently back when I was a child (80’s). If anything it gives me more insight, and shows me which adults to avoid. Adults bully all the time, if anything I stand up for myself more or run away faster from bad situations.
Posted by: numbered
Date: January 09, 2021 06:48PM

Bullying is just part of life

I understand the bullying point, but can I suggest that it might be closer to spousal abuse? I think the abuser pattern (beat, claim got carried away, unity/get back together, beat...) is closer to the mark. The victim is desperate for unity. Us.

The day of the insurrection, the GOPers were using Biden's words of unity against him. "Impeachment is divisive". Like 74 million complaining that 81 million should not win is not divisive.

I really think forgiveness without accountability is problematic.
Date: January 09, 2021 06:52PM
I didn't say engage. I said, don't alter your plans and give in, that's all. I think we should all know that appeasement doesn't work with these types of people.
I will support whatever Biden/Harris decide to do, but I will be shocked if they change the venue.

I remember in 8th grade there was a girl who wanted to beat me up in gym class, because I was new in school and she didn't like the way I looked. I told her she could hit me, but I would not fight her back. I knew my mom would kill me if I got into a fight at school. I just stood there waiting to see what she would do. She blustered a bit and then decided that I guess I wasn't worth getting suspended over. I was scared to death, but there was literally no where to run.

Date: January 09, 2021 06:53PM

I really think forgiveness without accountability is problematic.

If my words seem to imply that please no I do not believe that. I’m only talking about the transfer of power. Once that is accomplished I don’t think we should be showing mercy, at all. Give these people for 10 years in prison that the new law afford them all stand trial. Harsher sentences for the ones that have committed the more egregious crimes. There is a reason why treason carries the death penalty. Massive investigations of all of trumps misdeeds. Fix everything that could be fixed.

And yes, $2000 checks every month for a while even to mouth breather country, and free junior college for them to. Maybe try to fix the problem that way as well. A sliver of hope the angry people that are out of other options.
Date: January 09, 2021 06:57PM
rgG
I didn't say engage. I said, don't alter your plans and give in, that's all. I think we should all know that appeasement doesn't work with these types of people.
I will support whatever Biden/Harris decide to do, but I will be shocked if they change the venue.

I remember in 8th grade there was a girl who wanted to beat me up in gym class, because I was new in school and she didn't like the way I looked. I told her she could hit me, but I would not fight her back. I knew my mom would kill me if I got into a fight at school. I just stood there waiting to see what she would do. She blustered a bit and then decided that I guess I wasn't worth getting suspended over. I was scared to death, but there was literally no where to run.

Let’s eat
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 09, 2021 06:59PM
Pence will be there, so there will be crazies after him.
Date: January 09, 2021 07:15PM
I was wondering earlier this week if Congress could just change the date for the inauguration and swear Biden/Harris in now, but since the senate left, I guess that can’t happen.
Jan 20th hasn’t always been the date.

Date: January 09, 2021 07:23PM
rgG
I was wondering earlier this week if Congress could just change the date for the inauguration and swear Biden/Harris in now, but since the senate left, I guess that can’t happen.
Jan 20th hasn’t always been the date.

Maybe inauguration at a Trump property.

And then not pay the bill.
Posted by: numbered
Date: January 09, 2021 07:55PM
rgG
I was wondering earlier this week if Congress could just change the date for the inauguration and swear Biden/Harris in now, but since the senate left, I guess that can’t happen. Jan 20th hasn’t always been the date.

You are right about the date. It was changed during FDR's term from March to January. I am pretty sure that this needs a constitutional amendment.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 09, 2021 08:24PM
If it wasn't for this COVID or the possibility of Riots once again, I would definitely go to the inauguration, just to prove the point that Biden's crowd is larger than Trumps crown.

I mean this @#$%& moron was so lame in day ONE that he ordered the National Park Services to Photoshop pictures of the crowd? WTF?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 09, 2021 10:05PM
p8712
cbelt3

(Dead Right There).

Have you seen the new video out of the woman storming the capital who was shot. How disturbing number of those sharpshooters and security people stepped aside and, a lot of them were told not to act. It seems like a few that didn’t get the memo or didn’t follow orders are the ones that saved our government. It makes me nervous to wonder how many Trump loyalists are sharpshooters that should be guarding Biden. Certainly not all. Enough to make a difference, who knows? We’re going to have to do the biggest clean out and deep programming event in human history To sort this all out.

Pres.-elect Biden changed out the Secret Service detail to include those who he trusted from his VP days. One agent even took a demotion to join his detail. The inauguration stand is surrounded by bulletproof glass. I’m sure there are other protections in place. There is supposed to be a Million MAGAt March in DC on the 20th.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 09, 2021 11:00PM
If it was me, I'd ask Nancy Pelosi to spend the day in a serene but undisclosed location, making it clear to even the stupidest people that should anything happen to Biden and Harris, Pelosi takes over. Maybe threaten to have her pick Hillary as her VP, just to be good and sure they don't hurt anyone.

Date: January 09, 2021 11:04PM
Speedy
p8712
cbelt3

(Dead Right There).

Pres.-elect Biden changed out the Secret Service detail to include those who he trusted from his VP days. One agent even took a demotion to join his detail. The inauguration stand is surrounded by bulletproof glass. I’m sure there are other protections in place. There is supposed to be a Million MAGAt March in DC on the 20th.

That is semi-reassuring.
Date: January 09, 2021 11:05PM
$tevie
If it was me, I'd ask Nancy Pelosi to spend the day in a serene but undisclosed location, making it clear to even the stupidest people that should anything happen to Biden and Harris, Pelosi takes over. Maybe threaten to have her pick Hillary as her VP, just to be good and sure they don't hurt anyone.

And then immediately resign once Clinton is confirmed. Then VP AOC.
Date: January 09, 2021 11:10PM
p8712
$tevie

Oh, wow, AOC. That would scare the pants off of them!

Date: January 10, 2021 08:24AM
$tevie
p8712
$tevie

Oh man, the noise from heads exploding would be deafening, lol.

Date: January 10, 2021 08:59AM
rgG
$tevie
p8712
$tevie

Oh man, the noise from heads exploding would be deafening, lol.

It would make my head explode. After the way she talked about the person she would be Vice President to.

I don't ever forget

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2021 08:59AM by vision63.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 10, 2021 10:36AM
$tevie
p8712
$tevie

And what do cornered rats do??
Date: January 10, 2021 10:49AM
I said threaten so they are too scared to attack the inauguration. It was sarcasm. Don’t take my comment seriously, for crying out loud. It was patently absurd.

Date: January 10, 2021 11:12AM
$tevie
I said threaten so they are too scared to attack the inauguration. It was sarcasm. Don’t take my comment seriously, for crying out loud. It was patently absurd.

I always take my enemies seriously.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020