advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Mitch turns on Trump
Posted by: hal
Date: January 12, 2021 04:11PM
[www.nytimes.com]

Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, has told associates that he believes President Trump committed impeachable offenses and that he is pleased that Democrats are moving to impeach him, believing that it will make it easier to purge him from the party, according to people familiar with his thinking. The House is voting on Wednesday to formally charge Mr. Trump with inciting violence against the country.

At the same time, Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the minority leader and one of Mr. Trump’s most steadfast allies in Congress, has asked other Republicans whether he should call on Mr. Trump to resign in the aftermath of the riot at the Capitol last week, according to three Republican officials briefed on the conversations.

While Mr. McCarthy has said he is personally opposed to impeachment, he and other party leaders have decided not to formally lobby Republicans to vote “no,” and an aide to Mr. McCarthy said he was open to a measure censuring Mr. Trump for his conduct. In private, Mr. McCarthy reached out to a leading House Democrat to see if the chamber would be willing to pursue a censure vote, though Speaker Nancy Pelosi has ruled it out.

It's win/win for the repubs. They reap the benes of 4 years of Trumpiness and then cut the cord so he can't be kingmaker and they can be left alone to do their evil in the way they see best.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mitch turns on Trump
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 12, 2021 05:00PM
hal
It's win/win for the repubs. They reap the benes of 4 years of Trumpiness and then cut the cord so he can't be kingmaker and they can be left alone to do their evil in the way they see best.

Yep, with 99.5% of Trump's term up the Rs say "Oh, we finally figured he really is a bad thing for our party, er our ideals, um... yeah America!"
Posted by: Ammo
Date: January 12, 2021 05:24PM
As long as they don't have to go on record about it, Congressional Republicans are of two minds about Trump's impeachment. Some are pleased, and the rest are estatic.

Hypocrites to the bitter end, every last one of them.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 05:26PM by Ammo.
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 12, 2021 05:26PM
Censure does nothing, in my opinion.
Are there any consequences at all to that, I mean real consequences? I don't think so.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 12, 2021 05:29PM
Censure always reminds me of Robin Williams' old joke about UK policemen being armed only with truncheons:

"Stop! Or... we'll say stop again!"
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 12, 2021 06:09PM
McConnell: "Hey there Justice Thomas, just checkin' in! Courtesy call!"

Thomas: "Hello Mitch."

M: "Say, you aren't thinking about retiring in the next week, are ya?"

T: "Uh, no. I need to make money to pay for all of these buses Ginny rented for the insurrection."

M: "Swell, swell! You take care!"

McConnell (to assistant): "Tell Pelosi I'm in."
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 12, 2021 07:41PM
Trying to keep the enabling treasonous Republican Party alive. Don’t let them get away with it. They are 100% to blame for Trump
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 12, 2021 08:33PM
Will the bulk of the Senate follow Mitch?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 08:34PM by samintx.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 13, 2021 09:51AM
We'll see....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 13, 2021 10:45AM
"The Mitch set me up!"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 53
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020