advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
So, how are other viruses and the common cold virus affecting you this year?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 12, 2021 07:37PM
Poll
26 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Are you avoiding other viruses, etc. along with COVID45?

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Veteran virus trackers say they are chronicling something never before seen — the suppression of virtually every common respiratory and gastrointestinal virus besides the novel coronavirus. They theorize that is largely due to global shutdowns, mask-wearing and a host of other health protocols aimed at stemming the spread of the coronavirus.

These other viruses — including influenza A, influenza B, parainfluenza, norovirus, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), human metapneumovirus — all appear to be circulating at or near levels lower than ever previously measured. The same is true for the respiratory bacteria that cause pertussis, better known as whooping cough, and pneumonia.

>>>

Viral interference could also help explain a deep mystery about the coronavirus: why so few children are getting severely sick from it. As it happens, one of the only endemic viruses still circulating widely now is rhinovirus, which typically causes the common cold. And according to Meyers, “Rhinovirus is circulating only in pediatric populations. It’s been wiped out in adults.”

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So, how are other viruses and the common cold virus affecting you this year?
Date: January 12, 2021 07:39PM
I haven’t caught anything. I may have to make mask wearing part of my winter routine going forward. Except then my immune system won’t be as primed to fight everything off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 08:29PM by Speedy.
Re: So, how are other viruses and the common cold virus affecting you this year?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 12, 2021 07:48PM
I haven't caught anything because of strict self-isolation since March... how nice that's been, not getting sick at all from all the bacteria/viruses out there. (As you all know, I got my flu shot this season anyway, just to be safe.)

Who knew that introversion would be a survival trait?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: January 12, 2021 08:03PM
No colds at all since being on work-from-home (starting mid-March), but two other things so far (which I've never experienced before):
In May, severe congestion like I've never had before (sinuses felt super stuffed-up, but could breathe normally) - eventually resorted to a warm-saltwater irrigation; two of those a day apart made it go away

A weird 1.5-2" rash (kinda like mild eczema) appears every two months or so on different parts of my torso and disappears after a week - this started right around the time I got the second dose of Shingrix in July, but have no idea if they're related - could just be coincidence.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 12, 2021 08:05PM
Some GI bugs ran through the family a few times. No respiratory stuff though. Two family members in the house work outside the house. Take precautions but...
Date: January 12, 2021 08:31PM
Mold, pollen, etc. around the house where we are not masked might affect more than a few of us.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 12, 2021 08:33PM
I usually have a few persistent colds and a cough that sticks around through winter, from Dec through March. (March is, of course, when my allergies kick in.)

Nothing this year. I thought I was getting a cold a couple of weeks ago, but it turned out that I had spilled some new Oxi Clean "Dark" in the laundry room and I'm allergic to it.

Posted by: p8712
Date: January 12, 2021 08:39PM
I never catch the cold/flu, despite working with sick people. Careful and lucky, I guess. I did get my flu shot this year.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 12, 2021 11:06PM
So eliminate at least 20,000 typical deaths due to the flu from the CDC Excess Death statistic for 2020.

Daily Covid-19 deaths are averaging the equivalent of about eight 9/11 attacks every week.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 12, 2021 11:49PM
Other than some sniffles, probably from allergies, I haven't been sick this year!

I did get a flu shot in December.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 13, 2021 12:23AM
I haven't had COVID and also haven't taken a sick day since March of last year. That is a trend that is very common, enough so that employers are worried about staff carrying over too much PTO. Obviously nobody took PTO when working from home, even if they were sick, and nobody is taking vacations either.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020