advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Will we have a Kent State again?
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 13, 2021 06:32PM
I have not heard nor will we probably hear if the guns carried by Nat’l Guard will be used.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Will we have a Kent State again?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 13, 2021 06:36PM
Interesting one...

In the past, the National Guardsmen brought in for special events did not usually get issued live rounds.

But they are going so far with security this time that I suspect they're going in ready for action.

Posted by: bfd
Date: January 13, 2021 06:46PM
Well, they certainly screwed it up last week because of optics… can they learn from their errors that quickly?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 13, 2021 07:13PM
looking at photos of the guard in the other thread show quite a few carrying weapons, but none appear to have a magazine seated. Regardless I sincerely hope none of the weapons are used.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 13, 2021 08:07PM
Will soldiers open fire on peaceful protestors ?
Hope not.

Will soldiers return fire when y’all Quaeda open carry cosplayers start shooting ? If ordered to. Yes.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 13, 2021 08:28PM
From the NY Times...

National Guard troops who are flooding into Washington to secure the Capitol for Inauguration Day will be armed the Army secretary Ryan McCarthy has decided Defense Department officials said Tuesday.

The armed troops will be responsible for security around the Capitol building complex the officials said.

As up to 20,000 troops continued to arrive in Washington from all over the country Defense Department officials had been weighing whether to deploy them with arms. Mr. McCarthy has decided that at the very least those around the Capitol building will carry weapons said the officials who confirmed the decision on the condition of anonymity...

Mr. McCarthy's decision came after a meeting with Speaker Nancy Pelosi Democrat of California. Ms. Pelosi according to congressional staff members demanded that the Pentagon take a more muscular posture after a mob egged on by President Trump last week breached the Capitol.

Pentagon officials say they are deeply worried about protests that are planned for the inauguration of President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. next week. About 16 groups -- some of them saying they will be armed and most of them made up of hard-line supporters of Mr. Trump -- have registered to stage protests in Washington officials said...

Defense Department officials said that the White House had signed off on the decision to arm some of the National Guard troops coming to Washington to provide security. Pentagon officials have underscored that the National Guard -- not active-duty military troops -- will be assigned to those duties.

Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: January 13, 2021 08:30PM
Rubber bullets?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 14, 2021 04:31AM
Lizabeth
Rubber bullets?

Takes a completely different type of rifle to fire rubber bullets than the military issues

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 14, 2021 11:34AM
One lesson from Kent State was that your average NG member did not have the training to be placed in a security or protest type situation. A number of units in the decades since then have received that kind of training, hopefully they have enough available for the areas they will be posting armed troops.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 14, 2021 05:46PM
I've read their ROE are do not fire unless fired upon. I would assume that includes any "fire" (bullets or fists) that involves storming any secure area.

I hope there is no loss of life or violence of any kind, and that the event goes as planned. That said, to paraphrase, I won't regret reading traitor obits.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 149
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020