advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Rex Tillerson interview describes what it's like working with a moron.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 14, 2021 12:17PM
[foreignpolicy.com]

FP: Was it difficult to get a message through to the president? How did you navigate that when the stakes were so high?

RT: His understanding of global events, his understanding of global history, his understanding of U.S. history was really limited. It’s really hard to have a conversation with someone who doesn’t even understand the concept for why we’re talking about this.

”I had to constantly evaluate my last conversations with him—what seemed to resonate, what seemed to get across, what didn’t—and I would try different approaches with him. I used to go into meetings with a list of four to five things I needed to talk to him about, and I quickly learned that if I got to three, it was a home run, and I realized getting two that were meaningful was probably the best objective. So I began to adjust what I went into a meeting with and what I attempted to explain and describe, and then I started taking charts and pictures with me because I found that those seemed to hold his attention better. If I could put a photo or a picture in front of him or a map or a piece of paper that had two big bullet points on it, he would focus on that, and I could build on that. Just sitting and trying to have a conversation as you and I are having just doesn’t work.

FP: If you’re having a hard time briefing him, and he’s not reading the briefings on important subjects, how does one make an informed decision then?

it just gets better...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rex Tillerson interview describes what it's like working with a moron.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 14, 2021 12:24PM
Just frightening
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 14, 2021 12:31PM
But it seems like other people (like Stephen Miller) can get their message across to him so that he understands it and can even use his own mind to expand on it. The subject matter might be part of the issue.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 14, 2021 12:42PM
.....Till [ tell ] it like it is.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 14, 2021 01:08PM
GGD
But it seems like other people (like Stephen Miller) can get their message across to him so that he understands it and can even use his own mind to expand on it. The subject matter might be part of the issue.

Manipulating people and their views he understands. Probably does not understand how much his own views are the result of manipulation and misinformation though.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 14, 2021 04:30PM
Dumb people like other dumb people.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: January 14, 2021 05:22PM
mrbigstuff
Dumb people like other dumb people.

As my nephew's grandmother says: "Don't talk smack about my President Trump!"

Unfortunately, I did, in fact, call her "dumb" on Facebook.
I'm in time out.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 16, 2021 11:31PM
hal
[foreignpolicy.com]

FP: Was it difficult to get a message through to the president? How did you navigate that when the stakes were so high?

RT: His understanding of global events, his understanding of global history, his understanding of U.S. history was really limited. It’s really hard to have a conversation with someone who doesn’t even understand the concept for why we’re talking about this.

”I had to constantly evaluate my last conversations with him—what seemed to resonate, what seemed to get across, what didn’t—and I would try different approaches with him. I used to go into meetings with a list of four to five things I needed to talk to him about, and I quickly learned that if I got to three, it was a home run, and I realized getting two that were meaningful was probably the best objective. So I began to adjust what I went into a meeting with and what I attempted to explain and describe, and then I started taking charts and pictures with me because I found that those seemed to hold his attention better. If I could put a photo or a picture in front of him or a map or a piece of paper that had two big bullet points on it, he would focus on that, and I could build on that. Just sitting and trying to have a conversation as you and I are having just doesn’t work.

FP: If you’re having a hard time briefing him, and he’s not reading the briefings on important subjects, how does one make an informed decision then?

it just gets better...

Thanks for sharing that Hal!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020