advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
When do you consider the Modern Age of Politics beginning?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 23, 2021 01:27PM
It seems to me like 1932. I could be way wrong.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: When do you consider the Modern Age of Politics beginning?
Posted by: numbered
Date: January 23, 2021 01:31PM
The coming of Newt Gingrich and others (eg Trent Lott) aligning with the emergence of Fox News. There are signs of evolution before this, but Gingrich's attitude toward breaking the then-norms of the Congress really ignite the GOP of today.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: January 23, 2021 01:55PM
Around 1948-1950 during the Harry S. Truman (D) presidency, when Joe McCarthy (R) began his witch hunt for communists, and Congressman Nixon (R) joined in. Lies and blaming and persecution became part of the personality of the Republican party at that point, and continues today.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 23, 2021 02:13PM
1964. LBJ moved the Democratic Party into the 20th Century, embracing Civil Rights. The Republicans respond by embracing anti-Civil Rights, uniting Big Business interests with so-called Christians.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 23, 2021 02:58PM
Et tu, Brute?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 23, 2021 03:12PM
Johnson administration - the gloves came off the split began.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: hal
Date: January 23, 2021 03:23PM
I'd say the beginning of the 20th century - politics then looked pretty much as it does now.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 23, 2021 03:58PM
A thoughtful question! And I agree with all the responses above. For me personally, I'd say this current era began with Reagan and Co in '80. But the seeds of that were planted in the Civil Rights struggle. IIRC, Reagan was groomed by Armand Hammer as a corporate shill and anti-poor acolyte. Reagan did his job with aplomb.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 23, 2021 04:47PM
I don't know about Armand Hammer, but part of Reagan's conversion to conservative politics started with his doing the host bit for General Electric Theater on TV and as part of that doing many motivational speeches around the country at GE plants.

As for his saying he was on the liberal side before that, his acting as an FBI informant and testifying against fellow actors during the McCarthy hearings tends to argue against that. Or as one of his fellow actors stated during a one man show I went to in 1980 as student when Reagan ran, he was an actor and was good at acting a role.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 23, 2021 05:32PM
Reagan elected POTUS
Date: January 23, 2021 06:12PM
mrbigstuff
Reagan elected POTUS

As part of his 1980 presidential campaign, Ronald Reagan made an appearance at the Neshoba County Fair where he gave a speech on August 3, 1980. Critics claim that Reagan's choice of location for the speech (the fairgrounds were about 7 miles from Philadelphia, Mississippi, a town associated with the murders of Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner in 1964) was evidence of racial bias.
During his speech, Reagan said:
I still believe the answer to any problem lies with the people. I believe in states' rights. I believe in people doing as much as they can for themselves at the community level and at the private level, and I believe we've distorted the balance of our government today by giving powers that were never intended in the Constitution to that federal establishment.

Just a more clever continuation of Nixon's "Southern Strategy" and Goldwater. The Bush wing of the Party, the "traditional" Republican big business party, tolerated and encouraged this for the sake of getting their way. It's worked spectacularly well for them. For the country, not so much!

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 23, 2021 06:30PM
Well, 1932 could be a good place to start. FDR made masterful use of money and media to earn himself four terms and force Congress to make some new rules. The amount of money and power that shifted to the US economy as a result of WWII attracted lots of bad actors - on both sides. Since FDR, there's been a more concerted effort to concentrate both power and money into and out of the military-industrial complex.

Before that, the US was in recovery mode - first from the Civil War, and then from the Great Depression. Flush with money that comes from power, politicians became beholden to big money interests.

All that we see today flowed from that spigot of cash. Today, the fight is all about who will control that spigot and for how long …

The influence of mass media and social media should also not be understated. They are a big part of keeping that spigot flowing. Apple, Google, Facebook, et al. They're also a big part of the picture since they deliver the media via their platforms.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 23, 2021 06:38PM
Rolando (Reagan)
...I believe in states' rights.

States rights == slavery and secession.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2021 06:38PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 23, 2021 07:24PM
The realignment of parties following enactment of the Civil Rights Act was the seismic political event of the last 100 years.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 23, 2021 09:33PM
numbered
The coming of Newt Gingrich and others (eg Trent Lott) aligning with the emergence of Fox News. There are signs of evolution before this, but Gingrich's attitude toward breaking the then-norms of the Congress really ignite the GOP of today.
This is how I see it.

Posted by: vision63
Date: January 23, 2021 10:07PM
$tevie
numbered
This is how I see it.

Yes. They used the Clinton's foray into National Healthcare to damage and destroy Democrats leading to:

1994 Contract With America [en.wikipedia.org]
Date: January 23, 2021 10:56PM
vision63
$tevie
numbered
This is how I see it.

Yes. They used the Clinton's foray into National Healthcare to damage and destroy Democrats leading to:

That seems to be a continuation of Republican Pro-big business mode that pre-dates Goldwater/Nixon/Reagan.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 23, 2021 11:17PM
vision63
$tevie
numbered
This is how I see it.

I still think it should be called his Contract On America.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 24, 2021 12:14AM
0001AD. old fogey smiley
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 24, 2021 09:27PM
JoeH
I don't know about Armand Hammer, but part of Reagan's conversion to conservative politics started with his doing the host bit for General Electric Theater on TV and as part of that doing many motivational speeches around the country at GE plants.

As for his saying he was on the liberal side before that, his acting as an FBI informant and testifying against fellow actors during the McCarthy hearings tends to argue against that. Or as one of his fellow actors stated during a one man show I went to in 1980 as student when Reagan ran, he was an actor and was good at acting a role.

I retract that Armand Hammer statement. I thought that a buddy of mine had mentioned this to me years back, and I never looked it up. Of course I looked it up right after making the post, and couldn't find much of anything there. I meant to go back and amend it, got busy. So I take it back. Thanks for the reminder, though.

Agree with all that you said about Reagan supposedly being a liberal. Very few people ever talk about his snitch role...but those "communist" actors did nothing wrong, so I don't even know if the word "snitch" applies. RollingEyesSmiley5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 47
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020